Jus' Ridin' Along

San Juan Trail Work

The MBC will be out on Saturday, January 7th working on the SJT. Come out and join us for a few hours of digging in the dirt. You don't need to be a member or have a secret trail name, but if you have a shovel, mattock or MacLeod, bring 'em along.
    And we won't be feeding you or handing out swag, so don't forget a well stocked CamelBak.
    I will, however, buy the first round afterwards. And if anyone knows a spot in South OC with Stone on tap, let me know.

mtbr member

Josh

I'll let Josh know about this. I'm sure he would like to come out and pick up a tool.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Don't know why, something sounds odd here....
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Jus' Ridin' Along

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    I'll let Josh know about this. I'm sure he would like to come out and pick up a tool.
    Ohh, Puleeze do! I'm sure he'll want to come out and work on his own private trail! And do I have a tool for him...
    Will we see you there?
    BTW, nice job on Cactus! Should be SWEET by tomorrow (provided no equines use it whilst wet)

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Time?

I can google directions, but what time do you plan to meet?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by BobL
    The MBC will be out on Saturday, January 7th working on the SJT. Come out and join us for a few hours of digging in the dirt. You don't need to be a member or have a secret trail name, but if you have a shovel, mattock or MacLeod, bring 'em along.
    And we won't be feeding you or handing out swag, so don't forget a well stocked CamelBak.
    I will, however, buy the first round afterwards. And if anyone knows a spot in South OC with Stone on tap, let me know.

Jus' Ridin' Along

Major Brain Fade...

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I can google directions, but what time do you plan to meet?

JMH
    OK, this grunge I've been fighting has literally gone to my head.
    Hear are the specifics:
    We'll meet at the lower trailhead at 8am. Bring boots, work gloves, hat (should be sunny) and a way to carry water. If you bring your bike, you can ride up, but you may want to bring long pants and sturdy shoes for working in. We'll work 'till about noon, then head out for food OR if folks want to ride, we can cruise up to Cocktail Rock and back (I won't be going very fast due to this cold I'm fighting).
    If you've never been there, take the 5 fwy to San Juan Capistrano and exit Ortega Highway. Go east 12.5 miles to the road JUST BEFORE the USFS fire station; you will see a sign for a Methodist church camp; take a left there and follow it back about a mile to the outhouse and parking area. Look for the black Outback.

OMR - Old Man Riding

... and if we just ... FYI for those that want to know....

The Warrior's first trail work event is this Saturday . Volunteers with gas powered hedge trimmers will be driven to the top of Trabuco, West Horse Thief and Holy Jim so they can brush several locations at the top, or starting from the top, of these trails.

They are planning on meeting at 7:30 at the big parking area at Trabuco Creek Road next to Trabuco Canyon Road where those working at from the top will be driven up.

However, LUNCH by Keith will be provided... we know how to take care of our own ;-)

Hope everybody can help at one or the other event.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    The Warrior's first trail work event is this Saturday . Volunteers with gas powered hedge trimmers will be driven to the top of Trabuco, West Horse Thief and Holy Jim so they can brush several locations at the top, or starting from the top, of these trails.

They are planning on meeting at 7:30 at the big parking area at Trabuco Creek Road next to Trabuco Canyon Road where those working at from the top will be driven up.

However, LUNCH by Keith will be provided... we know how to take care of our own ;-)

Hope everybody can help at one or the other event.

Will see you there at the Warriors Society trail work day .

Given a choice , i would like to be with " those that take care of their own. " Also chef Keith has been getting rave reviews .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Jus' Ridin' Along

Wow....

Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    Will see you there at the Warriors Society trail work day .

Given a choice , i would like to be with " those that take care of their own. " Also chef Keith has been getting rave reviews .
    And all this time I thought it was about taking care of the trails!

Ooops. I forgot, South OC.

Either way, I hope both events get a good showing; it's the best way to say "thanks" to the trails that support our sport
    Last edited by BobL; 01-04-2006 at 01:30 PM.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Hey now! I understand the conflict here but if a free lunch is what it takes to get people out to do trail work there doing it for the wrong reason. Does someone have to feed you to get you out on your bike? I didn't think so. We mess um up, we fix um. Simple! Both great groups with different outlooks, no right no wrong.

Samsonite Tester
    SJT could use some loving.
    Last edited by Evel Knievel; 01-04-2006 at 02:20 PM.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member

Volunteerism

Anyone who takes the time and makes the effort to plan trail work is OK in my book. The way I see it, the Sierra Club Mtb, Warrior's, and SHARE should be able recruit enough volunteers in OC to do work all on the same day. Unfortunately it is the same small percentage of mountain bikers showing up at every event. Then there's the other small group who complain about it. These are the ones who know nothing about trail sustainability. Thankfully that group seems to be getting smaller. Finally there is the group that knows how important trail work is but never seems to have time to pick up a tool. These are the ones we need to focus on.
    If everyone volunteered 2 times a year we would never have to worry about getting enough man power to keep the trails open and sustainable.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    I'll be back in a few months. Just in time to help screw the trails up so I can fix them next year.

Jus' Ridin' Along
    I hope everyone has made a resolution to get out and give back to the trails sometime this year. Many groups do trail work in all parts of the state all year long, so there is no excuse not to lend a hand to love the trails you ride on.
    And Pat, we'll see ya sooner than you think!