mtbr member

San Juan Trail this Sunday?? wana join

I'm riding the San Juan Trail with 2 other buddies...first time for all of us.

We are meeting at 9:30AM at the lower section of the trail then shuttling up.

Anyone wana join and show us around?
    Any tips or advice??

Thanks
    Intense Tracer

Another festivus MIRACLE!

cool!

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr

Any tips or advice??

Thanks

I've ridden it a couple times....i'd love to join. let me know...derek

Over the Hill
    Many of us climb up from the bottom... so be thoughtful on blind corners.

Don't let your downhill speed get out of control things happen quick on that trail and there is a high penalty for failure.

I ride that trail often and I rarely leave without leaving some DNA on the trail. Lately has been on the bushes overhanging the trail.

You may want to start earlier it can get hot out there...take allot of water.

mtbr member
    I dont mind climbing but my buddies are kinda outa shape so were gona shuttle.

How much time and miles is a one trip down gona take?

What makes the trail so hard. I head its fairly easy to climb but tought going down?

Also real quick question.
    I have a couple sets of tires...what do you recommend for this trail.
    Intense 2.25 cc
    IRC mythos 2.0
    Panaracer 2.1

Thanks!
    Intense Tracer

Over the Hill

What makes the trail so hard. I head its fairly easy to climb but tought going down?

Intense 2.25 cc
    IRC mythos 2.0
    Panaracer 2.1

Thanks!
    checkout videos http://www.mountainbikebill.com/ and ride report.

12.6 miles Blue Jay Campground to bottom. Have not used any of those tires. I like wide tires, deep lugs with low presure. The trail is not hard...just be carefull. If you are not paying attention a loose rock can send you over the edge or into a cactus.

From the bottom...Not fairly easy, the bottom to the halfway point (cocktail rock) at 6.5 miles is a 2,400 ft climb. Nothing real steep but a constant uphill.

mtbr member
    I'd like to second the warning that the SJT can be really crowded on the weekend... watch your down hill speed.
    I climbed it last year on a very hot day. Practically killed me with overheating.

It's a very exposed trail, there are quite a few spots where the penalty would be severe if you squirrel of the trail.

Lot's of fun though, I've been up and down quite a few times.Classic So Cal.

If your thinking of climbing it at all, I'd encourage you to get a much earlier start.

Have fun and be safe!

Just Grin and HUCK it...

Any tips or advice??

Thanks
    4 tips -
    #1: You better make sure that San Juan is open. I've heard of several park closures due to the high fire season.
    #2: If San Juan is open, you should start earlier than 9:30am. Otherwise, you're going to get fried. It gets pretty hot out there.
    #3: You' might need to get an adventure pass for your vehicle. If the rangers get picky, you could get a ticket.
    #4: Have a great ride. San Juan is one of my favorite trails.
    MCM# 2007.1

Just Grin and HUCK it...

Intense 2.25 cc
    IRC mythos 2.0
    Panaracer 2.1

Thanks!
    I rode with pannys up there before. They worked real well. Either those or the Intense tires will work just fine. There are several rocky sections up there so I would recommend that you keep the tire pressures on the high side to avoid pinch flats (unless you are running Stans).

There are usually more hikers on the trail after 8-9am, so you have to be careful.

If you are shuttling from Blue Jay (the top), you will probably need about 1.5 - 2 hours to get to the bottom. It's about 12.5 miles top to bottom. You will probably see very few people climbing above cocktail rock, but you will find many more climbing up from below the rock.(Cocktail rock is the 1/2 way mark).
    MCM# 2007.1

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

in theory

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    4 tips -
    #1: You better make sure that San Juan is open. I've heard of several park closures due to the high fire season.
    #2: If San Juan is open, you should start earlier than 9:30am. Otherwise, you're going to get fried. It gets pretty hot out there.
    #3: You' might need to get an adventure pass for your vehicle. If the rangers get picky, you could get a ticket.
    #4: Have a great ride. San Juan is one of my favorite trails.
    not having an adventure pass is a non-enforceable violation. Getting a Notice of Non-Compliance (not a ticket) carries limited penalties. Your DMV record is not affected since it's not actually a moving violation. If you do get one, all you have to do (if you choose to) is mail in your 5 bucks as payment anyway. So, you can pay the 5 bucks to not get one or not pay, wait to see if you actually get one, adn then decide if you want to pay your 5 bucks.

YR

Its only 1" on the map!

Frying Pan!

I second the early start suggestion from SilverSpot, this time of year can be freaking blistering up there.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    not having an adventure pass is a non-enforceable violation. Getting a Notice of Non-Compliance (not a ticket) carries limited penalties. Your DMV record is not affected since it's not actually a moving violation. If you do get one, all you have to do (if you choose to) is mail in your 5 bucks as payment anyway. So, you can pay the 5 bucks to not get one or not pay, wait to see if you actually get one, adn then decide if you want to pay your 5 bucks.

YR
    I heard a while back (can't confirm it though) that if you get a citation/notice of non-complience the fee was more than $5 now (should you choose to pay it). True, it doesn't go on your record; true, you don't have to pay it; true, some/most people probably don't pay it if/when they get one.

If it's still $5 then, yes, I would definitely just chance it.

BTW - do you know if the last Saturday of every month is still a freebie (no adventure pass needed) at San Juan?
    MCM# 2007.1

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    I heard a while back (can't confirm it though) that if you get a citation/notice of non-complience the fee was more than $5 now (should you choose to pay it). True, it doesn't go on your record; true, you don't have to pay it; true, some/most people probably don't pay it if/when they get one.

If it's still $5 then, yes, I would definitely just chance it.

BTW - do you know if the last Saturday of every month is still a freebie (no adventure pass needed) at San Juan?
    It was a freebie the last Saturday of July up at the Blue Ridge trail, so I would guess yes.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    Hey am willing to join you guys. Please email me at jhernandez@titanium6.com with the info and your names etc...