mtbr member

San Juan Trail Ortega Hwy?????

Hey I was thinking about heading to San Juan trail this weekend to do some riding but a friend of mine said that Ortega hwy might be closed. Does anybody know what the situation is and if there is still access to blue jay campground.

Thanks,
    Dan

mechmann_mtb
    closed at night. one lane during the day. traffic will suck but you should be able to get there eventually

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You may want to check online (CalTrans? I dunno) to see where the closure(s) is at. If you are coming from the Riverside, er, side, then it's possible you could get to Blue Jay, but you probably won't be able to get all the way to the San Juan fire station. Likewise, from OC you may be able to. I really have no idea where the closure(s) begin/end. Maybe someone else can enlighten us all!

EDIT - Here's an old PDF I found detailing some of the plan http://bos.ocgov.com/third/newsletters/pdf/octa74.pdf

Appears they are only closing a short (3.3~mi) of road right around San Juan.
    Last edited by aword4you; 03-02-2007 at 04:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

74 to San Juan Trail traffic

I rode San Juan trail today from the bottom. The 74 is open but down to one lane just as you enter the OC border. Expect some delays but you will make it through.