Thread: San Juan Trail

mtbr member

San Juan Trail

I'm looking to ride San Juan this weekend but wanted to know the best time to go. I've been warned to go early to dodge the DH shuttle folks. Just how early is that on a weekend? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    When I climb San Juan I leave at 6:30. I have never met anyone coming down at that time.
    By 8-8:30ish riders start coming down the trail. Plus with the heat we have been having, early is better..
    This morning at 5:30 when I drove past the start of the trail it already felt like it was 80 degrees outside.
    Have fun

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I typically get there somewhere around 10am. I usually run into a few guys on the swithbacks, and maybe one or two more before cocktail rock. After that, I almost never see anyone coming down. Get a bear bell and most people will make some room for you to climb.

mtbr member
    hey kowalski, im from san mateo, ca. im thinking of hitting san juan as well. though i havent been there, my friend suggested it. which day are you riding?
    how far is trail head to disney land since im staying there with my family.
    approx how much time should i expect to ride san juan trails
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The climb is brutal in the heat; start as early as you can! Downhill traffic would be the least of my worries.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

San Juan Trail

83 degrees at 5:43 this morning.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Yep...crazy hot on the trail. With San Juan, I always add 10 degrees to whatever the temps are for the ride. The trail is almost all DG so it really heats up plus there is little shade. Lately, I have been starting around 4pm. It sounds like a bad time to start but you are in shadows/shade up most of the first half. As long as I have shade I can ride in about any heat.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    im pass on san juan. i just rode aliso today was pretty good. kinda like ft ord dirt. temps were around mid 80s. i think the sea breeze helped.
    san juan is a bit too far (45+mi) and too hot for my riding. although the forecast was expected to cool down over the weekend.
    ill probably try to hit something close on sat.
    if im lucky maybe i can ride something on sunday on the way back to sf via 101

have fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    San Juan Trail: http://vimeo.com/11457983

mtbr member
    May 2006

bad ass video!

Quote Originally Posted by LaggDawg
    it's been too long since i've ridden SJT!
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    There are night rides at san quan and some times holy jim at 8 or 9 pm. Lights about 400 lumans work just fine. Pm for times. Most of us work and a few have kids , wife....ect. we ride at night once a week....

Karl

destination unknown
    May 2008

More SJT [oo]<