Here's a couple from SJT, last weekend.

HecklerMark on the Matterhorn.

Dirty Dee on the Trough Turn.

Big Fun!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

BODYSNATCHER

way *****in'

Looks really cool. where the heck is it? oh, never mind I'll check out the trail review section. I must go here- it looks like a blast, and nice scenery to boot.
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    bleh ... I hate that section of the trail ... unless you're going the other way!!

Negative Rep Points!!!!

You mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    bleh ... I hate that section of the trail ... unless you're going the other way!!

[SIZE=4]...like this?[/SIZE]

Yeah, that's a tough turn. In golf terms, we call it a "par 3". It's a very cool feeling to clean it. OCD (pictured here), made it on the second try.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Trail Sanitization

Speaking of SJT....We've noticed that some Douchebag(s) has been sanitizing the trail. On that long steep climb(The Matterhorn), after Cocktail Rock..... There used to be a huge boulder on the right hand line at the top of the climb. Look at the picture here. There was no way of cleaning it by going to the right without bashing you rear der or catching a pedal. The only way of doing this climb was through that center rut. It used to be a difficult, challenging climb. The boulder is gone now. It looks like someone pushed it down the mountain.

This other section, on the lollypop heading back to Cocktail Rock, used to have a tombstone right in the apex of the turn. That was also a difficult turn to make. The tombstone disappeared about 6 months ago. We used to have it on our "scorecard". Now it's not even worth a mention.
    [SIZE=4]
    Way to go! If you can't ride it.......... dumb it down.
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 10-20-2004 at 10:29 AM.

If you have to ask...

You know, I haven't

ridden that particular chunk of trail in maybe ten years. I just can't bring myself to skip all the good stuff to the right in favor of an irritating, not very fun shot straight up from the rock.

But then, I enjoy fun trails, so maybe it's just me that thinks that section blows.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    ridden that particular chunk of trail in maybe ten years. I just can't bring myself to skip all the good stuff to the right in favor of an irritating, not very fun shot straight up from the rock.

But then, I enjoy fun trails, so maybe it's just me that thinks that section blows.

miles

So Miles,

You guys typically go counter-clockwise on the lollipop(from Cocktail Rock)?

We usually go clockwise(from Cocktail Rock), and then at the intersection up to Bluejay for water. Then, back down and a do a loop on the Viejo Tie. Up Chiquito, back to San Juan trail, and return to Cocktail Rock.

I've gone counterclockwise, but even with that route you have to grind up that ugly climb which is on the backside of the Matterhorn. I've got to imagine that those climbs in either direction would be a ***** on a single speed.

Hell, most gearies don't make it up the Matterhorn.

This pic is the Viejo Tie boulder.

banned
    Apr 2004

Wasn't me, I'm not into trail (over) maintainmence

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Speaking of SJT....We've noticed that some Douchebag(s) has been sanitizing the trail. On that long steep climb(The Matterhorn), after Cocktail Rock..... There used to be a huge boulder on the right hand line at the top of the climb. Look at the picture here. There was no way of cleaning it by going to the right without bashing you rear der or catching a pedal. The only way of doing this climb was through that center rut. It used to be a difficult, challenging climb. The boulder is gone now. It looks like someone pushed it down the mountain.

This other section, on the lollypop heading back to Cocktail Rock, used to have a tombstone right in the apex of the turn. That was also a difficult turn to make. The tombstone disappeared about 6 months ago. We used to have it on our "scorecard". Now it's not even worth a mention.
    [SIZE=4]
    Way to go! If you can't ride it.......... dumb it down.
    [/SIZE]
    that's why we got MTB bikes.
    Old San Juan rocks.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Yep

So Miles,

We usually go clockwise(from Cocktail Rock), and then at the intersection up to Bluejay for water. Then, back down and a do a loop on the Viejo Tie. Up Chiquito, back to San Juan trail, and return to Cocktail Rock.

I've gone counterclockwise, but even with that route you have to grind up that ugly climb which is on the backside of the Matterhorn. I've got to imagine that those climbs in either direction would be a ***** on a single speed.

We usually go right at Cocktail Rock to Chiquito and Viejo Tie. Then up to Blue Jay. We head back to Cocktail Rock the same way but we stay on Old SJT rather than try to do Viejas Tie and Chiquito Backwards. The piece of trail from Cocktail Rock to Viejo kind of sucks in both directions but it's very fun too.

Last time I rode the way you did I found myself lying down in a 2 foot deep rut with my bike on top of me with both of us facing uphill even though we were descending! There's a few fun pieces of trail in that direction but I think the other direction is more fun overall. But, to each his own.

I've heard that Miles really likes to add on Los Pinos for a really fun ride.................

Michael

If you have to ask...

YR is correct

We don't typically ride New San Juan Trail (that's the section going straight up from the Rock up to the four-way intersection) at all, in either direction. I just can't find it in me to skip the fun stuff.

As YR pointed out, though, skipping the whole SJT downhill entirely in favor of Los Pinoses does have its merits...

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

check out mountain bike bills site

Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    Looks really cool. where the heck is it? oh, never mind I'll check out the trail review section. I must go here- it looks like a blast, and nice scenery to boot.
    check out www.mountainbikebill.com as he has a video of the ride and can give you a topo map. pretty easy to find off Ortega HWY.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Rodney's Turn

Here's a few shots of "Rodney's Turn".

We call it that because years ago, Rodney was the first person we witnessed to have cleaned it.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 11-04-2004 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    So Miles,

Never venture on Viejo Viendejo but that boulder looks similar to ones on Chiquito.

ss poser

anyone up to ride tomorrow afternoon?

riding SJ tomorrow about 1300-1400. so far i'm on my own. anyone game? wanting to ride it up, but will shuttle.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I KNEW that was the section you were referring to!

Here's a few shots of "Rodney's Turn".

We call it that because years ago, Rodney was the first person we witnessed to have cleaned it.

I've cleaned it several times, on a GT I-drive. Finesse a bit then hammer. Last time (last fall) I had a Marin HT and couldn't clean it. Fun going down though!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.