Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: San Juan Trail

Professional Tool

San Juan Trail

I'm new to SoCal and want to check out the San Juan Trail. What's the skinny? I've heard somany conflicting stories. Do you ride up a fire road and down single track? Or up and down single track? Shuttle? Lot's of climbing I've heard. No matter as long as there is some killer single track descents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have shuttle it and it was a blast! It was 4yrs ago if I remeber right I think it was 12 miles of down hill I would never pass up a chance to shuttle it. It has a little bit of everthing. In fact I will try to shuttle it this summer.

If you have to ask...

Here's the skinny:

Ride up the trail, then back down the trail. 100% singletrack.

Yes, there is a ton of climbing. It all pays off with some of the sweetest downhills you will have ever ridden. There are options to make it easier or harder, depending on your desires. Stay left at the Rock for the easy way (then turn left at the rutted four-way intersection), or turn right (and then right, and then left, then right, then straight) for the more demanding route.

miles

PS here's the start of the climb:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's 7:09 California time

Professional Tool
    Hmm............

Shuttle or not to shuttle?

Unfortunately, my trail guide is gonna want to ride to the top. So shuttle is out this time. At least I'll get a good lay of the land.

Thanks for the pic!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Some people shuttle with cars to the top via Highway 74 but I think you should earn the downhill. Heading east on Highway 74 make a left at the first fire station you see on the left side. Follow that primitive road about a half mile or so then park when you get to the tree covered dirt area with a USFS toilet. The trail starts from the road on the right and the parking is on the left. Be forwarned you have to have a Forest service Adventure pass. They charge you about 30 dollars for a year if I recall. I like to climb untill you get to the rock that mike spoke of and continue left. When you get to the rutted 4 way intersection if you turn right it will take you back to the big rock. You then go back down the way you came up. It is about an 18 mile loop with epic downhill and switch backs. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo33
    Some people shuttle with cars to the top via Highway 74 but I think you should earn the downhill. Heading east on Highway 74 make a left at the first fire station you see on the left side. Follow that primitive road about a half mile or so then park when you get to the tree covered dirt area with a USFS toilet. The trail starts from the road on the right and the parking is on the left. Be forwarned you have to have a Forest service Adventure pass. They charge you about 30 dollars for a year if I recall. I like to climb untill you get to the rock that mike spoke of and continue left. When you get to the rutted 4 way intersection if you turn right it will take you back to the big rock. You then go back down the way you came up. It is about an 18 mile loop with epic downhill and switch backs. Enjoy.
    I agree with slomo, I think you should earn the downhill and climb the sucker, Climb it all the way to Blue Jay. Don't forget Chiquita and Viejo Tie.

Regarding the Adventure Pass, I've never bought one. The program was a Fee Demo project that is currently ending and the tickets were never tickets. I must have collected a dozen over the last three years. I've always thrown them away. Don't be a sucker!
    Check the link and decide for yourself.

To some this may seem over the top. Discuss.
    http://freeourforests.org/whywrong.htm
    Last edited by mtbski; 03-30-2004 at 06:13 PM.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

ride up then ride down

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1
    I'm new to SoCal and want to check out the San Juan Trail. What's the skinny? I've heard somany conflicting stories. Do you ride up a fire road and down single track? Or up and down single track? Shuttle? Lot's of climbing I've heard. No matter as long as there is some killer single track descents.

Wtf?

last try

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1
    my message won't show up in the other responses.

videos here: http://www.s92441708.onlinehome.us/S...0Trail/sjt.htm

Professional Tool
    Dude, wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider

If you have to ask...

Here's a hot tip:

Get started up the trail early. The shuttle monkeys don't usually roll out of bed until they've slept off the hangover from the binge the night before, so if you get to the top by noon odds are you won't see any of them at all.

miles

Here's another shot:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

New question here.

Okay, I climb to the Rock, and take the left fork for the easier climb on my SS. I got that.

THEN, I get to the 4-way trail intersection. "Right" gives me the loop back to the rock? Where does "Left" go? What about "straight"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Okay, I climb to the Rock, and take the left fork for the easier climb on my SS. I got that.

THEN, I get to the 4-way trail intersection. "Right" gives me the loop back to the rock? Where does "Left" go? What about "straight"?
    If you go left it'll take you to Blue Jay campground. Straight is short hike a bike(may be rideable by some) connects back to trail that goes to Blue Jay.

If you have to ask...

If you can make it to the rock on your SS

then you shouldn't be afraid to go right and ride the fun stuff.

miles

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

GO right at rocks!

Second that opinion... I have not gone left forever and I never will go left again. Right is where all the fun stuff is. Repeat the same section on the way back!

If you have to ask...

On the way back I usually

skip Chiquito and Viejas. The bummer/fun ratio is nowhere near as good as it is in the climbing (away from the Rock) direction. I just stick to NSJT from the four=way stop all the way back to the rock.

miles

mtbr member

can you bring me some banana's

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Get started up the trail early. The shuttle monkeys don't usually roll out of bed until they've slept off the hangover from the binge the night before, so if you get to the top by noon odds are you won't see any of them at all.

miles

Here's another shot:
    Dont ride on Sunday early this shuttle Monkey and friends are going. we could ride up but we have more fun doing 2-3 shuttle rides with the four miles of xc getting to the top.
    happy trails.

mtbr member

Good job!

If you go right at the intersection the Blue Jay campground doesn't have much unless you are a creative trials rider. I have never been straight so I couldn't tell you. The right I spoke of earlier starts and ends at the rock. It ads about 4 miles to the ride by adding a loop to the single track up and backtracking. By the way, excellent picture of the trail Miles.
    See you on the trail.

eat my pantaloons
    I'm going this Saturday early, probably around 8am. I may bring the video camera, or maybe not.

If you have to ask...

Excellent pic? Which one?

The color, or the B/W?

miles

mtbr member
    May 2004

What's wrong with the shuttle?

It blows lugging a DH bike up that trail. I don't think earn has anything to do with it really. A couple of shuttle runs or one gruelling up-and-back--either one is a damn good time. The trail has a pretty diverse offering of terrain and surface and it's a decent distance. If you are shuttling, however, try look well ahead and keep your ears open for riders coming UP the trail. The right-of-way seems strange because you're going so much faster on the downhill, but it's a lot more difficult for a person grinding uphill to get back into their rhythm than it is for a dude charging with the benefit of gravity. The XC types get stoked when a DH guy pulls over to let them pass on the uphill. This will also help to keep people from bumming out on DH/FR riding in general.

In any case, that's a great trail. If you haven't ridden yet, then get your keister out there and start crankin'.

Have fun. Hope to see some people out there.

B

wawe member

Why a DH bike?

Why would you need or want a big DH rig on a trail like San Juan?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Get started early

I think the first time I rode this trail was 7 or 8 years ago - at that time I only went up to the rock and back down (I didn't realize getting to the rock was the hardest part!). Anyway, I wanted to make the point that since that time there has been an ever increasing number of people on this trail. The last time I did the ride I shuttled up to Blue Jay and I must've passed 30 riders - most of 'em riding near the bottom half. The parking space at the end of the trail was PACKED - it was crazy! So, I suggest you get out there early - especially if it's a Saturday ride. Have fun - this trail has been ranked among some of the best the SouthWest over the years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It does not matter, what type of rig you ride, also what type of riding your like to do, like shuttling or xc-ing it. It comes down to courtesy on the trails. I have also seen a lot of xc'ers fly down hill without any regard for their life or any other living animal out on the trials.

1. If you are coming down the hill slow or stop for the pep's going up! thats all it not hard.

This topic is like the snowboarder and the skier that can not get along. it just comes down to courtesy out on the trails!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Because it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Why would you need or want a big DH rig on a trail like San Juan?
    Why do people ride motorcycles like an R1 on normal roadways? Why not just ride a scooter or a moped? It's not because they're going to open the thing up and go 180 down the freeway (well maybe occasionally). It's not because they're stupid. It's because it's fun to ride different bikes. Likewise, long travel bikes (FR/DH) are fun to ride. They just happen to be a bit heavier than XC or trailbikes. As a result they're a drag to climb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast