mtbr member
    Jul 2005

San Juan Shuttle

Shuttled San Juan today, as hubby's still trying to get over a few injuries, and was a buddy's first time out. Never shuttled before, but it was a good time.

It was HOT out there today, even just going downhill!

Leaving the trailhead:

Old San Juan:

(Camerawoman needs to work on the shots a little)

Me, attempting to climb:

More Old SJT rocks

Descending SJ

Me, trying to get a switchback (for the record, I tried three times and didn't get that one, but did get about 6-7 down further)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Glad to see Hubby's taking it easy and keeping the bike on the ground...right.

It was a warm one today. My HRM showed the average temps were 102.

Thanks for the note. BTW, looking good in those sidis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybaby

I thought you'd like that your vehicle got a cameo in the first shot

Yeah he ended up falling once on his right side, so we'll see how it feels tomorrow. I got banged up! Fell trying to make it up a rock on the Old San Juan climb and bruised/scraped my shin and elbow. The flora was quite painful also; lots of scratches from branches

Hope you guys had a good time as well! Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Glad to see Hubby's taking it easy and keeping the bike on the ground...right......
    Good to see Mechmann up and hucking it already.
    .......It was a warm one today. My HRM showed the average temps were 102. ......
    Ya the ride down would have been more enjoyable if i had waited for the shuttle.

mtbr member
    Haha
    I wonder if this thread will reignite the Gimper / mechmann shuttle debate!!!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...uttle+san+juan
    Sorry, not trying to be a punk here, but I couldn't resist.

This does actually bring up an interesting subject.
    Shuttling does have its merits, as alluded to by aword4you: recovering from injury, getting a good ride in on really HOT and humid day, and most importantly, building trail riding skills.

I used to be very anti shuttle monkey, i had to EARN my decents. Then I started ridng longer travel bikes (yes, riding them uphill) and realized the benefits of shuttling. My skills improved drastically when I started riding downhlll with fresh legs and lungs.This applies just as much to the XC rider as a it does a trail rider or 'freerider'.

So, I do shuttle quite a bit now, especially since time is such a factor (damn teaching credential / grad school / work).
    But, its not a crutch.

Of course, there's the occassional mutant freak who, no matter how much climbing they do, are still "fresh" for the decent. Well, that's not me!

For the record: I DID shuttle mt. lowe this weekend. It was sooo hot and muggy, even at 7 AM, that I only saw 2 hikers and no other riders. If I tried climbing, i would have proably ended up in the ER!!! And, I got home in time and with enough energy left to get my homework done.

mechmann on your recovery.
    In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

mtbr member

I was out there on Sunday first time I thought aboout shuttle

Sunday was strange for me climbed up to the cocktail rock to take my usal break there, but when I got there I felt sick dizzy light headed, can't say I ever felt like that riding before.
    I sat down for a while but I just got worse. I rode back down real easy.
    I realy don't know what it was but I was thinking shuttle the whole time.
    Was there a high level of polution, anybody else felt sick?
    http://www.caddesignwork.com/ where CAD Design and drafting happens.

mtbr member
    coulda been the relatively high humidity

Just another FOCer
    "You rebel scum!"

Quote Originally Posted by :solar:
    So, I do shuttle quite a bit now...
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    what's the first step?

My name is solar and I am a shuttle monkey...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, I'm not sure I would've made it to Cocktail Rocks had we climbed. It was just too hot. I had trouble walking around today much less riding anywhere

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Yeah, I'm not sure I would've made it to Cocktail Rocks had we climbed. It was just too hot. I had trouble walking around today much less riding anywhere
    I know you could have made it to Cocktail. I just granny geared it to Cocktail on my new "heavy" bike. What did me in was I lost 20 minutes helping a guy with no pump or patches with his flat. I was deternined to meet Frannie's shuttle at Blue Jay, I hammered from Cocktail and blew up at Four Corners, got to the shuttle drop off, Gnu'd up for ten minutes, and off we went. Never got a clear head again till I drank a cold grape Gatorade in Capistrano.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

A bunch of us did San Juan a couple years ago in July. Started from the bottom around 7:30, climbed to Blue Jay. On our way back down temps hit 107. I went through 100 oz of H2O on the climb and another 100 on the descent. Thank god there is water at the top. I don't ever need to do that again.

I will be climbing it solo tomorrow in honor of my 40th B-day. Anyone ever do that ride alone?
    Chris G
    Riding a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro 120
    Somewhere behind the Orange Curtain

Just another FOCer
    I have, plus I rode the upper loop in a clockwise direction. Just bring plenty of water and food.

Of course I did it on a weekend day, when there were plenty people out on the trail.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

Glad to Be Alive
    nice pics
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I know you could have made it to Cocktail. I just granny geared it to Cocktail on my new "heavy" bike. What did me in was I lost 20 minutes helping a guy with no pump or patches with his flat. I was deternined to meet Frannie's shuttle at Blue Jay, I hammered from Cocktail and blew up at Four Corners, got to the shuttle drop off, Gnu'd up for ten minutes, and off we went. Never got a clear head again till I drank a cold grape Gatorade in Capistrano.
    I appreciate the confidence! I always climb SJ in granny gear, or close to it One time I climbed most of it in the middle ring. Probably would've been about that if we'd kept up the training schedule. Oh well. Back to square 2 or so.

mechmann_mtb
    oh man.

our lack of fitness is all my fault. i never thought for a second that i would crash that hard on a little drop. seems the crash just shouldn't have happened. i definitely will never forget the sound of the front tire rolling off the rim. i THOUGHT i had saved it, still don't know exactly how the ending went down, seemed i got the bike under control and then i was in the stream face down. i guess those rocks in the stream bed were not very forgiving.

we were doing so well with the training schedule too!!!!

shuttling San Juan wasn't anywhere near as rewarding as it is to climb. with the massive hematoma in the quadracep still healing, the sprained rotator cuff, and the damage to my forearm that still has my grip strength way down, shuttling was about all i could muster.

i was really nervous about our big trip. i figured if my arm fell apart shuttling san juan, i should cancel the trip. needless to say we are still on.

we also took advantage of the situation and introduced a buddy to a new trail. not sure he would have enjoyed his first ride there as much if we had made him climb. i told him next time, he needs to EARN IT!