tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

san juan conditions

Planning on making the trek down to OC this Saturday morning. I was wondering if anyone knows or can take a stab at predicting what the conditions might be on SJT?

Never been, but the time has come, hoping for excellent conditions,
    tep

Old Bikes Suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by tep
    Planning on making the trek down to OC this Saturday morning. I was wondering if anyone knows or can take a stab at predicting what the conditions might be on SJT?

tep
    yeah, that would be nice to know. if i had to guess i would say the bottom third would be muddy and the rest of the trail would be nice.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

Anyone riding SJT Sat?

Quote Originally Posted by tep

tep

Just wondering if anyone is going to be riding the SJT Sat morning? If so, care for a tag-along?

tep

player hater
    I can't comment on the current trail conditions, but last time I rode there was right after a rainy day (the parking lot was as packed as I had seen it!). Any way, all was rideable and sure, there were a few damp spots, but not bad at all. This was about a month ago.

I'd say it's a safe bet you'll be fine tomorrow. I'd love to join you guys, but I'll be at Noble Canyon.

HTH. Cheers.

Giant Robot
    Nov 2004

Top is bad, bottom is fine

Word on the street is that the top portion (above lunch rocks) has super deep ruts in it. Below the rocks, though, has new ruts in since December (like everything else) but is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman
    Word on the street is that the top portion (above lunch rocks) has super deep ruts in it. Below the rocks, though, has new ruts in since December (like everything else) but is pretty good.
    I was just there Saturday. The bottom part was great. No mud, great conditions. The top loop though (above the "lunch rocks") has deep ruts in it. Didn't do the full loop b/c we ran out of time and the ruts weren't fun. Saw over 20 downhillers there, so apparently the rain hasn't stopped many from riding.

mtbr member

going this weekend, will let you know

going this weekend, will let you know

Old Bikes Suck!
    did it yesterday. the lower section was very good. after lunch rock the ruts were bad and there were a couple of missing sections of trail from wash-outs. the mud was bearable but the poison oak is reaching into the trail more than i would like. i'm sure i'll have poison oak rashes in a day or two.

[SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

[paste title here]
    Not bad. Ill be out there tomorrow around 8am. Should be fun!
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member

ok...now I'm going

Went to Sycamore today, but plan on SJT tomorrow (Sunday 4/3) Anyone else riding?

Let me know if you want to meet up.

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamMBR
    Went to Sycamore today, but plan on SJT tomorrow (Sunday 4/3) Anyone else riding?

Let me know if you want to meet up.
    Check with the guys at www.socaltrailriders.org. They have a SJT ride planned for tomorrow.

Heres the link: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...opic.php?t=327
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member

trail is awesome

Thanks for the link...I didn't check it out in time (bad email user) but I did go to SJT today. I started at the bottom around 7:00 & had an awesome time...the lower is still in great condition. Top is kinda beat, but I'm sure it will come around.

See you out there.

Old Bikes Suck!
    crap! I got poison oak on the upper section of the san juan ride. why does a simple little ride turn into 3 weeks of itching? i have this problem waaay too often. i'll probably never do the top end again. there are so many trails here in san diego that are all ready black listed by me. sucks. i need to move!
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

banned
    Apr 2004

Poison Ivy is some tricky shet

Quote Originally Posted by vdubbusrider
    crap! I got poison oak on the upper section of the san juan ride. why does a simple little ride turn into 3 weeks of itching? i have this problem waaay too often. i'll probably never do the top end again. there are so many trails here in san diego that are all ready black listed by me. sucks. i need to move!
    but I'm getting better at avoiding it, I wear light weight long sleeves or arm warmers when I'm going to go riding on dank trails, that way if I get the oak it's just on the legs.
    First time I got it I went to the doctors and got the pregnisone and ointment but the best remedy so far for me has been really hot water on the rash area, itches real bad for a minute or two then hours of relief.
    I've had it mild to severe at least 3 times a year for a lot of years, not so severe the last few years maybe because I try to remember if I go where it might be to assume I have the oak oil on my stuff and not spreed it, take the possable infected clothes & gloves of in the garage, due a quick tick check and into the washer with the MTB shet.

Old Bikes Suck!
    i do what i can. if you can get rid of it within 15 minutes you'll be fine but you're on the San Juan Trail for so long..... just so you know, you want to get home ASAP, take a cold shower (hot shower opens your pores, thats bad) and scrub you entire body with dawn dish soap.

if i get poison oak usually its only small little spots and not huge welts using that method. still, i try to avoid poison all together if i can though.
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]