mtbr member

New question here. San Gabriel Mountains?

Hey fellow So. Cal riders,
    I'm a weekend x-country rider who usually rides the Santa Monica Mountains who averages about 18-30 miles per ride at about 8--9.5 miles per hour (yeah, i have a computer on the bike) Anyhow, I've heard a lot about the San Gabriel Mountains, JPL and Strawberry Ridge or something rather and would be interested in checking out the place. I currently live in Westwood so the drive out there shouldn't be too bad and would appreciate any guides/wingmans out there who are familiar with the place. So if there are any regular weekend riders out in that region who wouldn't mind another riding wingman (I'd bring some extra cliff bars to share) please contact me. I noticed scouting a new place on your own is pretty lame.
    Personal Info:
    I'm 27, currently in grad. school and a heck of a decent guy.
    Thanks.

Cracker-magnon
    Where are you a grad student at? UCLA? If you don't mind riding with an SC grad student , I live in the area. I will be racing this weekend, but I do ride every weekend. There is some good stuff over here.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Where are you a grad student at? UCLA? If you don't mind riding with an SC grad student , I live in the area. I will be racing this weekend, but I do ride every weekend. There is some good stuff over here.
    Hey Trojan. I'm a UCLA undergrad but currently at Southwestern Law School. I'm sure we could put our fierce school rivalry aside and get in a peaceful ride together. I'd just slash your bike tires half-way through the ride instead of at the beginning so you would get some enjoyment. All kidding aside though, if you have a race-free weekend to spare I'd be glad to meet ya to ride the San Gabriels. Are you a serious racer? Cause I'd hate to be an anchor and slow you down.

suspension whore

BEWARE the san gabriels

weekend x-country rider who usually rides the Santa Monica Mountains

Beware the san gabriels.
    once you srart riding in the san gabriels you will never be satisfied with the santa monica's again.

steeper, longer, more exposure, rockier and much more of a wilderness experience.
    well worth the drive.
    I'm always looking for mid week company but you could always join the weekend ride.
    Rain has cut up the trails recently but you may be rewarded with some snow at the top of mt lowe. did mt lowe front side over the weekend - tacky and fast except for the slides. be prepared for an 8 mile climb over about 3000 feet.
    matt

Cracker-magnon
    No, not a serious racer. I am only doing my second of this year. Like matthew said, there are a lot of extended climbs, but the scenerey and the trails are worth the effort.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    weekend x-country rider who usually rides the Santa Monica Mountains

Beware the san gabriels.
    once you srart riding in the san gabriels you will never be satisfied with the santa monica's again.

steeper, longer, more exposure, rockier and much more of a wilderness experience.
    well worth the drive.
    I'm always looking for mid week company but you could always join the weekend ride.
    Rain has cut up the trails recently but you may be rewarded with some snow at the top of mt lowe. did mt lowe front side over the weekend - tacky and fast except for the slides. be prepared for an 8 mile climb over about 3000 feet.
    matt
    Sounds great! Where do I sign up? I'm thinking of heading out on Saturday, November 6, 2004 at about 10am. If GPSSER or Mathew (or anyone else) is free that day I'd be more than happy to meet up at a coffee shop near by (a coffee shop since it has an address I can plug into MSN Maps and get directions). We can get in a 20-30 mile ride or whatever anyone else is up for. Just give me a date and time you guys are free and we'll work out the details.