ICPAYDIRT

San Diego Wildfires TRAILS Update

Today we tried to take in a quick ride out at Black Mountain near Rancho Penasquitos. The day was nice, there was a little curious dark cloud in the distance but no smoke smell so we decided to go ahead a shove off. There was a decent Santa Ana wind blowing with an occasional suprise gust. Within 30 minutes of our ride we were engulfed in smoke making it hard to breathe and visibility dropped to about one-half mile. It all happened so quick! Needless to say we hurried back down to the car and got out of dodge. Cloudy with smoke and ash all the way to the 5 freeway but on my way back to Pacific Beach it cleared up. I'm wondering with the winds blowing towards the west, is there anywhere that isn't affected by the fires here in the San Diego area? Should we just stay off the bike until the fires are extinguished? Will you all please post any news on air quality on and around the San Diego trail systems? Anything ridable? Also, lets all try to give some updates when things clear up. This is obviously a disasterous situation that threatens many lives and homes but hopefully we can get this under control and get back to riding soon!
    Last edited by ICPAYDIRT; 10-30-2007 at 12:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Which Black Mountain? In PQ?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    PQ is totally engulfed in smoke and ash. No bike riding until this clears out. My guess is Wednesday.
    If not biking, then what?

ICPAYDIRT
    Yes, near PQ. On the way back you could see the smoke decending on PQ.

mtbr member

8:00 AM Update

At this point, my concerns are for the MTB's whose homes and lives are directly affected by this fire, and my prayers are with them.

As for riding areas, San Pasqual Valley and Lake Hodges south are probably gone, I haven't heard about north hodges or Elfin forest.

I finished my ride in PQ Canyon around 11:00 and the winds were just starting to pick up. My thought at the time was that this is going to be bad, but now they are talking on the news that this time more homes will be lost that in 2003.

Take care, y'all.

ROn in SD
    Pain rushes in to fill the void where common sense should be.

i can't type the letter s
    The Witch fire has jumped I-15 at Rancho Bernardo Drive and North of Lake Hodges. The river bed below the Dam on Del Dios highway is on fire. San Pasqual Valley (Wild Animal Park area) is on fire. It sounds like the fire is just North of Black Mountain and South of Elfin Forest. But both are in danger along with the homes in Rancho Bernardo, North Poway and South Escondido. San Elijo Hills has been evacuated (Elfin Forest area). The current goal is to not allow the fire to cross into the Black Mountain area. The fire is about 2-3 miles west of the 15 heading towards Rancho Santa Fe.

On a personal note, I rode Iron Mountain in extremely blustery conditions overlooking the Witch Fire source. Very nasty watching the flames blow up. The wind was so strong on Iron it would push you laterally off your line which was a challenge to maintain an upright stance at times. Gnarly.

Hope everyone is okay.
    Submitted 10:15 am, Monday morning 10-22-07

ICPAYDIRT

map of fire Oct 23, 10:30am PST

This map shows the red spot fires. Dark lines are some of the major roads. Blue lines are streams. Shaded area is USFS locations. Painful to see, so much of our beloved San Diego!
    Attached Images Attached Images

ICPAYDIRT
    For reference, our SD MTB trail systems:

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    My house is just west of Black Mtn. Fingers crossed!

Looks like most of the trails around the area are spared so far. Elfin Forest and Hodges are in serious trouble though.

If they ever find the little $%$^@ who starts these things...
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP

If they ever find the little $%$^@ who starts these things...
    The fire that started near Ramona was reported to be from a transformer blowing up.

Unfortunately the fire that wiped out Whiting Ranch was started via arson.

Hope your house is okay.

mtbr member

Poway area?

Hopefully everyone is safe out there.

Does anyone have information on the Poway/High Valley area. I am currently overseas, and it is hard to decifer what has burned by the news reports. My families home is up in High Valley, just behind Poway Lake. They are out of town as well. All pets are safe, but i am wondering about the house at this point.

Any information would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
    TG

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Check out this link:

Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR

Does anyone have information on the Poway/High Valley area. I am currently overseas, and it is hard to decifer what has burned by the news reports. My families home is up in High Valley, just behind Poway Lake. They are out of town as well. All pets are safe, but i am wondering about the house at this point.

Thanks,
    TG
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/

Good luck to your family.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR

Thanks,
    TG
    www.poway.org is the city site and is actually pretty good or at least better than most city sites. If you want minute by minute updates this one is pretty good but its a lot of info to wade through http://sosdfireblog.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone have infoe about the Tour De Julian? Is the area affected? Will they cancell it?

Thanks...

mtbr member

Upset

I just heard that they issue a mandatory evacuation to the Julian and Cuyamaca area, the wind is now blowind in that direction.
    It will all depends of what happens in the next 24 hrs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I live on the western slope of Black Mountain, 1.5 blocks from the Laurentian trailhead. Not good. I just rode North Lake Hodges on Saturday and was thinking I miss this trail and need to ride it more often. Damn.

Birthday Collector
    Ratt - www.kfmb.com (Channel 8 in SD) also has a list of the burned homes in the areas. I used to live in Poway and have a lot of friends there so I was looking. There are some homes lost on Skyridge Rd, Oak Canyon Rd, Markar Rd, etc... Not a ton of them as it seems the fires were sporadic as to which homes got hit. RB was hit hard, and the area just to the northwest of Lk Poway was hit. Stoneridge was also hit on St Andrews, etc... Hope that your place is OK and your neighbors are all fine too.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Boyeeee
    Here's a google map with all the destroyed homes listed and marked. Scary.

Luckily, my house was spared and I hope to get back home tomorrow.

ICPAYDIRT

Updated Maps And Information!! Must See!!

Here's an excellent resource with LOADS of information:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/...fire-maps.html
    This page also has information and maps on Orange County provided by the OC register.

Click on the KPBS google map that is updated every 5-15 minutes with updated mapping and other information about the fires.

The affected areas are outlined with alot of other information. If you use the zoom and the "HYBRID" link in the top left and top right corners it will show street detail and a google earth satellite look of the affected areas and the terrain.

Here's a link to the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...8ac31fe3357571

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Can anybody see fire from La Mesa?

The maps indicate the fire hasn't gotten that close coming up from the southeast but I guess it all depends on the wind.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Here is what the San Diego Fire looks like from Temecula

Man that must be horrid!!!
    PrOxY

ICPAYDIRT

Elfin Forest Is Open!

Taken from the Olivenhain Parks website:

Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve
    Approximately 30 acres of the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve was burned in Firestorm 2007. The Reserve is open, however, trails east of the Escondido Overlook are closed until further notice.

Spoke to the rangers and discovered that they lost the Lake Hodges Overlook and the Hodges Loop to the fires. That is why the trails east of the Escondido Overlook is closed but Equine, Way Up, and all the other trails there are good to go!

Lord of the Chainrings
    Fallbrook from the west side of Temecula/DeLuz area on Wednesday 10/25/07....
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~