Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Single(Pivot)and Happy

San Diego, WAKE UP!

There's a thread in this forum titled,"Sunday AM ride in Alpine?" The poster is from out of town.He states he has his big bike,truck,and can shuttle. 68 views as I type this, and no one has posted a thing about trail access at ATT.

What's up. You all going to wait for him to post a picture of his truck up at the top and then proceed to call him a tool? Going to tell him after the fact about pissed off Indians and residents? Going to explain after the fact that he should of known about the situation regarding ATT?

Here's what I think: Based on the deleted thread a few weeks ago, and this thread, not to many people really care about ATT, nor do they care if we mountain bikers lose access to a trail in San Diego County. Losing trail access due to disregarding trespassing laws probably doesn't help us in future trail access negotiations.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How about the one that is shuttling ATT needs to wake up! It is the riders responsibility to know what is legal, and what is not. Blaming the San Diego MTB community is not the right way.

People themselves need to be responsible for their own actions, not society.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Oliver,

I totally agree with you. Each individual is responsible for their actions. My point: The San Diego biking community, at least the ones that know of the trail access situation pertaining to ATT, do we not owe it to OURSELVES to inform individuals, local and non-local alike, when a situation is right in front of us? Is not education of local trail issues an important tool to help keep access to trails open to us?

At least the OP posted his intentions. I pm'ed him, as well as others, and suggested other trails. By informing the OP of our situation, I believe he's now "woken up."

As far as your last statement is concerned, I'm giving that one a pass.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Overall the situation in SD looks a bit dark

Personally I avoid ATT, no need for my ass to be out there adding to the problems.

But the overall outlook on San Diego and bikes in general is not a good one.

There are 1.5-2 million people in this county. There is a lot of revenue being created from bikes. Mountain bikes, road bikes, cruiser bikes, all different kinds of bikes.

What events take place in SD county that are bike related? Very few. I am not talking about a brush clearing/trail maintenance every once in a while, I'm talking about events to promote bikes/trails/common use and the like.

Considering the climate of San Diego and the population, we should be among the leading cities that are carrying out bike related events and activities. Mountain bike events, road bike events, commuting events and the list goes on.

Quite simply though it doesn't happen. You read about cities that are improving bike infrastructure and trails, San Diego is nowhere to be found. Read about places grooming their open spaces for mountain bike access and to draw more people, San Diego is nowhere to be found.

The issue is much larger than a single thread about ATT and someone shuttling while visiting.

I'm babbling but honestly, I have been hearing a whole lot of what I would consider ******** from a whole lot of different organizations in San Diego county when it concerns bikes. Whether it is Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes or beach cruisers. On the trails, in the mountains, on the beaches and even on the college campuses. Bikes and their revenue to the surrounding communities are simply not a priority and the "higher ups" seem to have little interest in bringing light to the benefits.

It is truly a shame for a city with such a perfect climate.

shred
    Feb 2008
    those rich bastards are the olny ones that are still going to be driving cars. gas is rising and its not going to fall. if u dont want to be poor id ride a bike eveywhere

mechmann_mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd
    Personally I avoid ATT, no need for my ass to be out there adding to the problems.

There are 1.5-2 million people in this county. There is a lot of revenue being created from bikes. Mountain bikes, road bikes, cruiser bikes, all different kinds of bikes.

What events take place in SD county that are bike related? Very few. I am not talking about a brush clearing/trail maintenance every once in a while, I'm talking about events to promote bikes/trails/common use and the like.

Considering the climate of San Diego and the population, we should be among the leading cities that are carrying out bike related events and activities. Mountain bike events, road bike events, commuting events and the list goes on.

Quite simply though it doesn't happen. You read about cities that are improving bike infrastructure and trails, San Diego is nowhere to be found. Read about places grooming their open spaces for mountain bike access and to draw more people, San Diego is nowhere to be found.

The issue is much larger than a single thread about ATT and someone shuttling while visiting.

I'm babbling but honestly, I have been hearing a whole lot of what I would consider ******** from a whole lot of different organizations in San Diego county when it concerns bikes. Whether it is Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes or beach cruisers. On the trails, in the mountains, on the beaches and even on the college campuses. Bikes and their revenue to the surrounding communities are simply not a priority and the "higher ups" seem to have little interest in bringing light to the benefits.

i have to say, if this site had a "thanks" button, i would have pressed it!

SD is not bike friendly, but it is horse friendly.

shred
    Feb 2008
    i know of a way. theres a town called rancho santa fe in sandiego, the richest place in the world at one point. there are a ton of super spoiled rich kids that could pour in money to some mtb organizations. if u could get some flyers and poster etc. around that town you are bound to get attention and $. i would know i lived there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN MAN
    i know of a way. theres a town called rancho santa fe in sandiego, the richest place in the world at one point. there are a ton of super spoiled rich kids that could pour in money to some mtb organizations. if u could get some flyers and poster etc. around that town you are bound to get attention and $. i would know i lived there.
    Well, what are you waiting for?

Glad to Be Alive
    what do we do about the uneducated riders who don't know the rules and those who choose to ignore it??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Well for ATT, how about getting auth to install a kiosk with maps, some guidelines and etc on it, adjacent to the trail? Out of towners and other people that just don't know what the deal is out there would at least have a chance to encounter information they might otherwise only receive online (but without the berating sure to follow from an online inquiry).

Hell, I'm going back to sleep now.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd

Just to give you some perspective, I moved back to Boston this Jaunary after 4 years in San Diego. As I'm sure you know, compared to San Diego the weather SUCKS here in New England.

Much to my surprise though, the mountain bike scene is epically huge compared to San Diego. The New England Mountain Bike Assoc. is extremely active; they have at least seven chapters throughout the state, which is impressive considering the size of MA. There are numerous clubs organizing group rides, skills clinics, trails days have hundreds turn out, people make t-shirts, blah blah. The ski resorts within 2 hours of Boston are all building up there trails, I can go on and on.

I too was perplexed and frustrated with the lack of activism and involvment in the San Diego MTB scene. I think the real problem in San Diego is just the explosive growth of the last decade and the somewhat transient nautre of the population. Here in New England, the people running NEMBA, Deisel Bikes, etc. have all grown into thier roles over the course of decades. The trail systems in each resepective chapter have been ridden and nurtured by the same people forever, where in SD many of the resident riders havn't been in town that long (and many East Coast shmucks like me leave after a few years, only to be replaced after the Rose Bowl ).

In other words, San Diego is just like a kid straight out of school trying to find its idenity in the world. If people commited to the area continue to stay involved and start threads like this, things will turn around. It just takes time.

Interesting item: a group of a freeride guys who thought NEMBA (re:SDMBA) was too sqaure for them, started thier own club called Deisel Bikes, and they're really taken off. Food for thought, IMO SD could use its own version of Diesel Bikes. Check 'em out:

http://www.dieselbikes.com/

PS I know you hate Boston, New England, the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, John Adams, America, etc. Spare me! [not directed at the OP, just to all you hater's out there!]
    Last edited by Evil Chocula; 05-12-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I emailed SDMBA two weeks ago after the infamous deleted ATT thread asking why there is no signs, information, anything to inform riders of proper trail access at the top of ATT. I have not received an answer yet.

Seems to me that priorities regarding what should be addressed regarding trail issues in San Diego County are a little distorted. The fact that there is a trail in the County with a history of access issues taking a backseat to improve a trail that isn't falling off the face of the earth makes no sense to me.

It should not matter how many people use the trail, how fun the trail is to ride, what type of riders use the trail, etc. To lose the privilege to ride mountain bikes on any trail undermines our credibility for all future projects. To not take action,either short or long term, on an existing issue can easily be used against us in this argument:

Why should a land manager allow any new trail system when we cannot deal with what issues we presently have?

I'm looking forward to the SDMBA meeting on the 21st. I'm not some whining little b!tc#. I have concerns, ideas, and more important, answers and time to commit to SDMBA to help.

mtbr member
    Where is the meeting on the 21st? My wife and I would really like to get involved. There are so many things that other big cities are doing to allow its residents to enjoy the outdoors. We live in one of the most beautiful outdoor areas in the countries yet I cant ride my bike anywhere or take my dog off her leash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Impy deleted that thread... after about 50 phags got on there and started running there foul mouths. foul mouthed phags who have never even ridden ATT and started out with

"I usually don't get in on these kinds of threads...." then ran their ass mouth

and interjected at some point "... and I've never ridden there and probably never will..."

yeah.. good support, yo!

until there's signs saying it is flatly illegal, then get over it. it has access issues on BOTH ends of the trail.

just makes me sick to see all these whiners cowtowing to an even bigger group of whining f*uckups. i mean, there's like billions of acres of un-touched chapparal east of San Diego but people are whining about 5 mile x 5 foot strip. OMG!!! YOU ARE ON MY LAND !!! MY NAME IS BEN CARTWRIGHT!! GTFO IT!!!

was up in Kernville this weekend. road Coyote. was primo. but the POS National Forest Service still has locked gates to much of the access in the southern sierra nevada... again, phucking tree huggers sitting on their lazy welfare a$$es not doing chit. no reason to keep the gates closed.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mild beast
    Impy deleted that thread... after about 50 phags got on there and started running there foul mouths. foul mouthed phags who have never even ridden ATT and started out with

"I usually don't get in on these kinds of threads...." then ran their ass mouth

and interjected at some point "... and I've never ridden there and probably never will..."

yeah.. good support, yo!

until there's signs saying it is flatly illegal, then get over it. it has access issues on BOTH ends of the trail.

just makes me sick to see all these whiners cowtowing to an even bigger group of whining f*uckups. i mean, there's like billions of acres of un-touched chapparal east of San Diego but people are whining about 5 mile x 5 foot strip. OMG!!! YOU ARE ON MY LAND !!! MY NAME IS BEN CARTWRIGHT!! GTFO IT!!!

was up in Kernville this weekend. road Coyote. was primo. but the POS National Forest Service still has locked gates to much of the access in the southern sierra nevada... again, phucking tree huggers sitting on their lazy welfare a$$es not doing chit. no reason to keep the gates closed.
    Then again... maybe SD won't get it's sh!t together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    I'm looking forward to the SDMBA meeting on the 21st. I'm not some whining little b!tc#. I have concerns, ideas, and more important, answers and time to commit to SDMBA to help.
    I predict they'll be stoked to see you and open to ideas you're willing to devote horsepower to.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    EBasil,

Are you being sarcastic? Are you giving me a heads up to bring protection?

mtbr member
    No, I meant it. When I've attended their meetings, I've seen them to be receptive to ideas and especially those from people willing to work on them. If you haven't met their "ATT Liason", you'll be impressed when you do (if he bathed recently) and if it's possible to place signeage, they'll know whom to ask.

In terms of signeage, I'll proffer this for the backend of a project: if you get approval for either signs or a kiosk, I volunteer my time to chuck up a board or two under my router templates to carve out some names for you. Stuff like the Noble Canyon sign we've all seen pics of...ie 3" letters.

Don't worry about being a DH guy at their meeting, either. SDMBA slaughtered all their goaters and have renounced short travel bikes entirely. Okay, that part is sarcastic...

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I think I may still bring protection. EBasil, you mention,"If it's possible to place signage." Bro, dust off those templates.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Amen, mild beast. The uproar over some dirt is comical.

BTW, the biggest problem I have is with idiot dog owners who don't use a leash on public trails. Signs at the trailheads prohibiting unleashed dogs make no difference to these folks. I pass the signs everytime I ride.

The next mutt that snarls at me gets a shot of pepper spray to the nose and eyes. The owners too, when they inevitably become unglued at my action.

shred
    Feb 2008
    i live in a damned place called florida at the time

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Then again... maybe SD won't get it's sh!t together.
    Yeah really, if we all had his attitude the very few trails we do have would be shut down with in five years.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

shred
    Feb 2008

Wink

hahah i wouldnt do taht over there ud get sued by some rich nutjob

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

I made it as far as "moved back to Boston"

And had to stop reading there.

First thing into my head was "thank god, why didn't the rest of the m*******s go with him"

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Just to give you some perspective, I moved back to Boston this Jaunary after 4 years in San Diego. As I'm sure you know, compared to San Diego the weather SUCKS here in New England.

Much to my surprise though, the mountain bike scene is epically huge compared to San Diego. The New England Mountain Bike Assoc. is extremely active; they have at least seven chapters throughout the state, which is impressive considering the size of MA. There are numerous clubs organizing group rides, skills clinics, trails days have hundreds turn out, people make t-shirts, blah blah. The ski resorts within 2 hours of Boston are all building up there trails, I can go on and on.

I too was perplexed and frustrated with the lack of activism and involvment in the San Diego MTB scene. I think the real problem in San Diego is just the explosive growth of the last decade and the somewhat transient nautre of the population. Here in New England, the people running NEMBA, Deisel Bikes, etc. have all grown into thier roles over the course of decades. The trail systems in each resepective chapter have been ridden and nurtured by the same people forever, where in SD many of the resident riders havn't been in town that long (and many East Coast shmucks like me leave after a few years, only to be replaced after the Rose Bowl ).

In other words, San Diego is just like a kid straight out of school trying to find its idenity in the world. If people commited to the area continue to stay involved and start threads like this, things will turn around. It just takes time.

Interesting item: a group of a freeride guys who thought NEMBA (re:SDMBA) was too sqaure for them, started thier own club called Deisel Bikes, and they're really taken off. Food for thought, IMO SD could use its own version of Diesel Bikes. Check 'em out:

http://www.dieselbikes.com/

PS I know you hate Boston, New England, the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, John Adams, America, etc. Spare me! [not directed at the OP, just to all you hater's out there!]

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I have a question: Are most of you people posting in this thread members of SDMBA?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast