mtbr member
    Apr 2004

San Diego riding?

Getting close to a new job that would take me from NM to San Diego. What's the local riding scene like? Used to live in nor cal so familiar with California in general... But never have lived in the south

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nobody's answered to your post yet, and I suspect that in part at least this is due to the current oppressive state of affairs regarding bicycle access to trails in art least two popular riding areas. There have been some very popular trails near MTRP that happen to slightly enter the very outer perimeter of the Miramar Air Base, now under USMC control, but previously under Navy copntrol.
    The Navy never made a big deal about those totally unused sections of the base perimeter....no security threat there, no safety risk, so they basically were good neighbors and looked the other way.

Under the USMC control, a "Zero Tolerance" policy has been implemented, with M-16 toting Marines treating the cyclist as if they were the "New Insurgents". So those excellent, centrally located trails are ridden now at the riders' own risk.

The other first-rate trail system that has come under fire, from the new "Wildlife Officer" division of the CA Dept. of F&G, are the longstanding trails on Del Mar Mesa, (DMM).
    Rather than go on and on here, just check out the thread on this yourself:

Check out this thread, on the SoCal forum: Tickets being issues on ALL of Del Mar Mesa aka Tunnels

Aside from that, we still have access to several decent, if not great, trail systems nearby coastal San Diego. Lake Hodges, Daley Ranch, a few others.

And if you are willing to drive one hour one-way to ride, the trails in the Lagunas under the BLM are very bicycle-friendly for the most part.
    Cuyamaca Rancho State Park also has many trails open to bicycles as well.

From what I know about the riding opportunities in NM, you might find the same in San Diego to be somewhat....constrained in comparison.
    But, hey.....we still got The Weather!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member

San Diego riding?

I ride to my local trail every weekend - it's less than a mile away. Couldn't be happier with the trails in SD.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Noble Canyon...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What would be the ideal type of bike for Noble Canyon? Thinking about getting the Ibis HDR or Santa Cruz Solo/Bronson or Intense Carbine. Am I looking at the right types of bikes to ride that trail up and down?

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Nobody's answered to your post yet, and I suspect that in part at least this is due to the current oppressive state of affairs regarding bicycle access to trails in art least two popular riding areas. There have been some very popular trails near MTRP that happen to slightly enter the very outer perimeter of the Miramar Air Base, now under USMC control, but previously under Navy copntrol.
    The Navy never made a big deal about those totally unused sections of the base perimeter....no security threat there, no safety risk, so they basically were good neighbors and looked the other way.

Under the USMC control, a "Zero Tolerance" policy has been implemented, with M-16 toting Marines treating the cyclist as if they were the "New Insurgents". So those excellent, centrally located trails are ridden now at the riders' own risk.
    I will step in and say that for the most part, riders are not being treated like insurgents and nary an M-16 was spotted in my experience. Rarely (that I can remember) was the rifle range live fire when it was a naval station and quite often (now), the range is hot.

On a recent jaunt, as recent as last week, a slight group of 17 riders (yes, seventeen) were making a home on a ridgeline of questionable ownership, whilst waiting for the pushers of the group; prior to many of them not riding but sliding back down the trails.

Riders are lacking in the common sense and courtesy department recently, as in the past I've witnessed groups standing on a ridgeline over a live fire rifle range. Not necessarily the best idea for anyone involved.

As far back as 2007, I can remember patrols on the ridges, once with whistles, turning people around... at that time many of the current questionable trails did not exit in any form near what they are today. I forget when the base was turned over, sometime in the late 90s possibly as I remember working the air show a few times.

There's surely patrols and probably a ticket or three being handed out. Remember, board used to be confiscated at Trestles and further south, you're still supposed to be on the high tide line and not on base without permission.

And overall, why complain with what is now ... what... 10k acres of park right next door? You don't say, the trails in the 10k acres next store suck? Well, that should be a bit more of an issue than the patrols to keep people from trespassing on a military base, shouldn't it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    I will step in and say that for the most part, riders are not being treated like insurgents and nary an M-16 was spotted in my experience. Rarely (that I can remember) was the rifle range live fire when it was a naval station and quite often (now), the range is hot.

On a recent jaunt, as recent as last week, a slight group of 17 riders (yes, seventeen) were making a home on a ridgeline of questionable ownership, whilst waiting for the pushers of the group; prior to many of them not riding but sliding back down the trails.

Riders are lacking in the common sense and courtesy department recently, as in the past I've witnessed groups standing on a ridgeline over a live fire rifle range. Not necessarily the best idea for anyone involved.

As far back as 2007, I can remember patrols on the ridges, once with whistles, turning people around... at that time many of the current questionable trails did not exit in any form near what they are today. I forget when the base was turned over, sometime in the late 90s possibly as I remember working the air show a few times.

There's surely patrols and probably a ticket or three being handed out. Remember, board used to be confiscated at Trestles and further south, you're still supposed to be on the high tide line and not on base without permission.

And overall, why complain with what is now ... what... 10k acres of park right next door? You don't say, the trails in the 10k acres next store suck? Well, that should be a bit more of an issue than the patrols to keep people from trespassing on a military base, shouldn't it?

Bazinga! I just KNEW that if I posted, it would prime the mtb-polyanna pump for Teleguy. Now he is gonna get all the positive stoke that he is hoping for.
    This is a dirty job, getting a thread moving. But somebody's gotta do it....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Bazinga! I just KNEW that if I posted, it would prime the mtb-polyanna pump for Teleguy. Now he is gonna get all the positive stoke that he is hoping for.
    This is a dirty job, getting a thread moving. But somebody's gotta do it....
    You're so magnanimous, Ray-Ray...it hurts!

You're like the John Coffee of MTBR.

mtbr member
    Heya guys, i didn't mean to hijack the thread but I recently moved to Mira Mesa, San Diego from Flagstaff, AZ and I was wondering which trail I can ride to (i don't own a car) that is close to Mira Mesa?. Any suggestion is much appreciated.
    Ride..Ride..Ride

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hykes View Post
    Heya guys, i didn't mean to hijack the thread but I recently moved to Mira Mesa, San Diego from Flagstaff, AZ and I was wondering which trail I can ride to (i don't own a car) that is close to Mira Mesa?. Any suggestion is much appreciated.
    Los Penasquitos, Black Mountain, and Poway area trails are the nearest to ride to from MM.

Go here
    MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures
    then click on San Diego Area, then East County....several of those trails will be close to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Los Penasquitos, Black Mountain, and Poway area trails are the nearest to ride to from MM.

Go here
    MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures
    then click on San Diego Area, then East County....several of those trails will be close to you.
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions!. Time to start planning on which trail to hit...and thanks again!
    Ride..Ride..Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Also check out the San Diego Mountain Bike meetup group. You'll get a good overview of the local trails and meet some other riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    San Diego has some great trails. Although I recently moved here as well there are so many different places to ride all over the city. As far as the Mirmar crap above, who cares. That is just one small area on the outskirts of the city. There is so much more out there to ride that I wouldn't get into any of it. As stated above, MountainbikeBill is a great resource for sourcing trails. Remember that most of the rides are from 3-5 years ago and are sometimes overgrown. Regardless, they still provide a baseline for locations and rides.

What area of the city are you considering moving to?

Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    As far as the Mirmar crap above, who cares. That is just one small area on the outskirts of the city.
    If by small area on the outskirts of the city you mean three canyons and 30+ miles of single track 10 min from my house... then yea.

I have heard from reliable sources that the patrols and range being used only occur when the reserves are drilling. The reserves drill first weekend of the month. I have been riding out there 4-8 times a month for a looooong time and never encountered a patrol. We ride elsewhere the first weekend of a month.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've been riding ted Williams in poway. Some great variety there. I would recomend the santa cruz bronzon. That's a great all around bike that can still climb. If you ever want to check out some trails in sd let me know

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

San Diego riding?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    If by small area on the outskirts of the city you mean three canyons and 30+ miles of single track 10 min from my house... then yea.

I have heard from reliable sources that the patrols and range being used only occur when the reserves are drilling. The reserves drill first weekend of the month. I have been riding out there 4-8 times a month for a looooong time and never encountered a patrol. We ride elsewhere the first weekend of a month.
    Those areas are known as buffer zones for live fire events when rounds might "not be on target" so I'd stay out. It's usually 1-5 miles depending on the caliber being fired. They are just looking out for you.