Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

San Diego - North County Trail Conditions

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  bill_in_sd 
#1 ·
Anyone been out on the trails in the past day or two? I'm looking to ride this weekend but don't know what's in good condition.

#2 ·
I just hiked Cowles Mtn - Pyles Peak (Cow Py? :confused: ) in Mission Trails this evening. 90% of the the multi-use trail between Cowles & Pyles was perfect for riding. There was some standing or flowing (trickling) water on a few sections. A couple of bikers had gone on this trail and left no ruts, only tread marks, so the soil seems to have firmed up. Also, the utility road going up from Barker Way was nice and packed down, but there were some new ruts from the erosion.

Sorry this wasn't North County, but I suspect you'll find similar conditions up there.

#3 ·
Anderson Truck Trail is open and dry. Just did a run there this morning and it was great! PQ Preserve is still closed and will be closed for some time so I would not hold my breath. I dunno about Sycamore Canyon but I'm sure the creek is pretty high so you're not going to be able to cross without getting seriously wet. I think Lake Hodges is open but not sure.

#4 ·
Rode on black mountain on Wednesday. Miners Ridge seemed in good condition. I get on at the end of Sun Devil Way, and it was sloggy on the flat portion right after getting on the trail. Other than, not so bad. Also, the fire road that parallels Black Mtn Rd is mostly okay. The bottom of the concrete wash just south of Carmel Valley was a bit silty. Hoping to go up the fire road this weekend.

#8 ·
Devine Intervention said:
Rode Daley Ranch this morning and it was in good shape. A few wet spots on the roads, but no real mud in the valley. I was surprised how good it was.

The ruts were pretty bad making "Heart Attack" climb almost impossible.
wait so u were able to ride heart attack i went today to daley and there was no way i was going to make it up heart attack it was so rocky and deep ruts.
i had to walk up :mad:

#11 ·
Nobleman said:
I probably should start an East County thread, but does anyone know what the East County trail conditions look like? How is Cuyamaca, BLT, Noble?
arashi said ATT was good in post #3. Wish I had time to hit it before more rain.

I hiked around Cowles Mtn last Friday and the trail to Pyles Peak was in really good shape. The utility road just below Cowles summit had some new erosion ruts. Didn't make it down to the Mesa Rd or Big Rock trails, but I would expect some ruttage.

#13 ·
random walk said:
arashi said ATT was good in post #3. Wish I had time to hit it before more rain.

I hiked around Cowles Mtn last Friday and the trail to Pyles Peak was in really good shape. The utility road just below Cowles summit had some new erosion ruts. Didn't make it down to the Mesa Rd or Big Rock trails, but I would expect some ruttage.
I did a night ride on Cowles last night (Mesa Rd. and Big Rock) and there were virtually no ruts. The drains that were cut this year appear to have done their jobs and while trails were damp the weren't muddy. Conditions were perfect.

#14 ·
mealsonwheels said:
I did a night ride on Cowles last night (Mesa Rd. and Big Rock) and there were virtually no ruts. The drains that were cut this year appear to have done their jobs and while trails were damp the weren't muddy. Conditions were perfect.
Thanks for the update. There were some blowouts on the hiking-only trails of Cowles Mtn., so I feared the MR & BRP trails may have suffered the same fate.

I need to get out on some of those trail work events and do some payback.

#15 ·
OB1 said:
I gotta see this ATT. Who wants to show me????? Pretty please??

P.S. dont get too excited by the pic. I'm a dude...I just really like that pic. haha
Damn, I was just about to volunteer too...lol Seriously, I'm down to go to ATT...Just PM me and we'll set up a time. Maybe this weekend FYI: I'm slooooow!!!

#16 ·
Yesterday I ran down the trails between Black Mountain Ranch and Santa Luz, the one that heads west and connects up with some access roads and parallels Carmel Valley Road.

The cobblestone-like cracked portions of the road are smooth again, but one steeper portion near where the road pinches up next to Carmel Valley Road is looking really bad. It was a tough spot going down when it was dry, now with all the ruts from rain it really looks ugly.

No mud, just a nice smooth track with no dust. Mosquitos are out though....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.