Probably drunk right now

San Diego: Need Advice on Hotels/General Area

I'm looking to head to San Diego on vacation with my SO around the end of June or beginning of July.

While I'm basically a mountains person, my SO is without question a beach person. So we're going to comprimise and stay on the beach.

I'm looking for advice on general locations, hotels, B&B's, resorts, etc.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    What, no questions about biking? I like your kind of compromise....she get's what she wants....keeps the family happy... . Anyway, Mission Beach is a popular place with a nice beach, lots of bars and nightlife but is also a favorite of the young beach crouds that like partying and being wild. Mission Bay is a pretty nice place to stay in a hotel, it's back from the beach, not as crazy but close enough to hit the surf. Other options, stay in a plush hotel in Del Mar, beautiful beach and great small town... or why not, stay at the Hotel Del Coronado, she will be happy and you will score....Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Mission valley has all of the major chain hotel/motels as well. Check out their websites and you.ll see lots of them on hotel circle dr., camino del rio north, and camino del rio south. This area is about 5-10 miles to the beaches of Mission Beach and La Jolla. And, they're about 45 miles from Noble Canyon!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons
    Mission valley has all of the major chain hotel/motels as well. Check out their websites and you.ll see lots of them on hotel circle dr., camino del rio north, and camino del rio south. This area is about 5-10 miles to the beaches of Mission Beach and La Jolla. And, they're about 45 miles from Noble Canyon!
    good advice...big thing...how much a night and what rating of an hotel you want
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What is your budget...that will help recommending some hotels in different locations.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sealodge in LaJolla

Lord of the Chainrings
    If you're staying in Carlsbad, I'd recommend here: http://www.grandpacificpalisades.com/
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

a few thoughts

I lived in San Diego a long time and still have family there.

May and June can be pretty overcast along the coast. The locals call it June gloom. If you can, I'd wait until July for your trip for optimum beach weather. The ocean gets warmer, too.

San Diego sprawls out and has lots of communities within it. Afternoon commuter traffic can be horrendous. That's something to keep in mind as you pick a place to stay and plan activities

There are quite a few beach front hotels of varying price and quality. Beach front areas include Coronado, Sunset Cliffs/Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Bird Rock, and La Jolla. Del Mar, up the coast from La Jolla, is a touristy but cute little town.

If either of you like swimming, check out the scene at La Jolla Cove. There is a swim course layed out in the ocean with buoys. The ocean tends to be pretty calm in that area.

The county fair is at Del Mar and runs for two weeks ending around the 4th of July. That can be kind of fun.

Don't know if you are interested in the zoo, but it is pretty amazing. Balboa Park (where the zoo is located) is worth seeing even if you don't go to the zoo. Great museums and landscaping.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Apr 2006