mtbr member
    Dec 2004

San Diego must do rides??

I am going to be in San Diego in March for a week for business and can easily arrange to have my mountain bike with me. Are there any "must do" rides that a visitor can check out? I am an XC rider who likes all single track, long climbs or hike a bike are OK.
    Thanks in advance
    Bruce

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would suggest you do Cowles Mountain!!! It's a very intense and challenging trail, very technical and steep. For more info go to www.mountainbikebill.com, there are many more excellent trails in San Diego. Have fun!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nobel Canyon for sure. Daley Ranch is OK.

drop me a PM for some local n. county riding.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Sycamore Canyon is also nice, be sure to include the Martha's Grove section, close to town if you start at Mast Blvd - also on Mtb Bill's webpage.

mtbr member
    Nobel Canyon for sure! Sycamore Canyon is good, skip Cowles in my opinion...hated that ride....Big Laguna loop, Cuyamaca ..you find all on Bill's website! Have fun!

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Follow REIGN 2's advice. Skip Cowles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anderson deffinetly a must do

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    #1 Noble canyon for sure. #2 for XC goodness Grandtour/cuyamaca with Middle Peak as extra credit. #3 Big Laguna, can be combined with Noble for Tour de Noble.

Noble is on the chunky side but a fun ride just the same. Anderson is a DH'er paradise not sure if it has enough xc fun, unless you like to watch.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    #1 Noble canyon for sure. #2 for XC goodness Grandtour/cuyamaca with Middle Peak as extra credit. #3 Big Laguna, can be combined with Noble for Tour de Noble.

Noble is on the chunky side but a fun ride just the same. Anderson is a DH'er paradise not sure if it has enough xc fun, unless you like to watch.
    The last time I rode Cuyamaca, there were so many trees down on the DH section, there was a lot of hike a bikes through the brush to get around piles of trees(big ones). No fun on the west end of the ride. The east of the road part was fun, with the newer single track section, but the ride would be cut short. I didn't do Middle Peak but I would imagine the downed trees would also be a problem. After the rains, the big trees just fell over, knocking down many small ones with them. I'd hate to have one of them fall over on someone. It is sad, as this was my one of my favorite rides. It will never be the same in my lifetime. Luckily we have Laguna and Noble.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    May 2004
    1. BLT-Noble Canyon.
    2. Anderson Truck Trail (ATT)

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo1034
    I would suggest you do Cowles Mountain!!! It's a very intense and challenging trail, very technical and steep. For more info go to www.mountainbikebill.com, there are many more excellent trails in San Diego. Have fun!!!!!
    That is so not a MUST DO ride. Yeah, it's fun but it's just a local ride that you do because it's nearby, not one that people would dream of doing.

Nobel Canyon or San Juan Trail would be the two at the top of the must do list.

YR