mtbr member

San Diego Mtn Bike group rides?

I'm getting the hang of my new Gary Fisher Cake 1 DLX, doing some Mission trail rides. Are there any good links for S.D clubs or group rides? I would like to ride more and do some new trails around San Diego.

Anyone up for some local SD Riding? I'm still kind of new to mountain bike riding, but am willing to work hard and learn new techniques.

Let go riding!

Rockfish
    A group rides Spring Canyon (about 9 miles out and back) at Mission Trails Park every Tuesday at 6:30 PM. They leave from the dirt parking lot at the northeast corner of the park, just north of the Old Mission Dam, at the intersection of Father Junipero Serra Road and Bushy Hill Drive. Good trail for beginners, gradual cross country climb on the way out, fun, fast downhill coming back.

Good group, usually 10 to 15 riders, all skill levels. Contact Todd at Zumwalt's Bike Shop (619-582-6440).

They do more advanced group rides on Thursday nights (6:30 PM) and Sunday mornings (8:30 AM)...ride locations vary week to week.

My wife does the Tuesday ride and I occasionally do the Thursday and Sunday rides. However, I usually start my weekend rides at sunrise, usually east county (Sweetwater, Hollenbeck Canyon, Loveland Reservoir (aka Bell's Bluff)).

Start with the Tuesday night ride if your schedule permits...you'll like it.

mtbr member
    Great. Thanks for the info. I will check it out next Tuesday @ 6:30pm.

mtbr member

Good job!

Here's one, populated by very cool people I can't keep up with... heh heh...

http://members.cox.net/garyfox/index.htm

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I just rode Santa Ana River Trail with that Gary Cox group last Saturday. Great ride and great people. Strong riders, all of them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The North County Spoky Dooks (sp?) do a bunch of rides. I know they have a website, just don't know it right now.

Was that a Bobcat?

Group Ride this Saturday!

SDTrailrider,

There will be a group ride this Saturday at the Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve. Here's the details: (You should go check it out.... take the oppurtunity to meet other MTBikers )

Celebrate National Trails Day at Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve

Saturday, June 3, 2006, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Bring the family and join in the fun!
    Mountain Bike and Equestrian Rides
    Nature Walks
    Children's Activities
    Trails Fair with Vendors and Exhibitors
    Live Music
    Opportunity Drawings and More!
    Free parking and admission

9:00 a.m. - SDMBA will lead a 10-mile ride geared for the intermediate rider, starting from
    the SDMBA booth located next to the Ranch House. The ride will follow the south trail with
    incredible scenery, creek crossings and waterfalls. For information on the ride, contact:
    greg@sdmba.com

10:00 a.m. - Join the Multiuse Trails Coalition for a bike ride geared specifically to folks
    interested in a relaxed look at the canyon, to ride with their children, or to have a first try
    at mountain biking. We'll take a break in the shade of Carson Crossing with the equestrian
    riders, too! Bring your bikes and meet us at the Ranch House before the ride. For more
    information on the ride, contact: EBasil@aol.com

Bike helmets are required for all bike rides. Bring water and a snack.

Directions: From the intersection of Black Mountain Road and Mercy Road in Mira Mesa, go
    one block north to the traffic signal at Canyonside Park Drive, the entrance to the
    "Canyonside Rec Center" and turn west into the facility. Drive all the way west, past all the
    ball fields, to a white rail fence and gate. Go straight up this driveway to the
    grass parking area near the Ranch House.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    sounds like fun, I need to try some more groiup rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Last edited by monkeybaby; 06-02-2006 at 10:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I will check out the group ride on Sat. It sounds like fun. Hopefully I can keep up with everyone.! :-)

mechmann_mtb
    my wife and i ride pretty often and don't mind having others ride along.

this weekend we will be riding in Idyllwild, Hurkey Creek area.

if you would like to come out and enjoy the trail here is a very good page of information for the ride we will be doing on Sunday morning. ride starts at 10ish. we will be in campsite 100 or 101 (white Tahoe)

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=174

BTW... we never leave anyone behind and will often re-try areas that challenge us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoTrailRider
    Thanks. I will check out the group ride on Sat. It sounds like fun. Hopefully I can keep up with everyone.! :-)

I did this ride today and it was fun. About 15 miles of mostly single track. Thanks to the guys from Rock MTB for all their help! I was struggling towards the end, but that's probably because I was in the "Advanced" group... Good times. Hope to do some more riding with these guys in the future.

mtbr member
    I think I saw you at Balboa Park/Florida Canyon on Thursday.
    We ride there most Thursday nights. We start from Hamilton and Adams. It is about 3 or 4 miles from the trails. We usually ride for an hour or two. You would need lights should you decide to show up.
    Lately we've been leaving at 7:30. Most of us are on single speeds Could be three people (this is really fast) or 20 (which can spread out to three groups).
    HALF OF THE RIDE IS ON THE STREETS WITH CARS AND MOSTLY DARK!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Do these rides still take place?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Go to either

SDMBA calendar

or

Dirttreaders calendar

You will find all sorts or rides. Can't say much about a ride from 6 years ago though..
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    ^^dirttreaders site will get you anywhere in san diego for local rides.
    3po armorless, the first weight weenie.