mtbr member
    Nov 2004

San Diego to Moab driving time question

Anybody drive straight through from SD to Moab? I have never done it before but I am guessing 15 hrs +- including stops for meals, gas, etc. We are going next week and I just wanted some feed back. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ya, from Temecula.

Its a long drive, usually stop once we get into UT at either St George or higher.

Time is a consideration, you want to make sure you hit the SoCal to Vegas and Vegas to SoCal legs right, or else you will hate life for 4 hours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Interesting...

I haven't been to Moab, but I've done the San Diego to Salt Lake run a few times on ski trips. That's about 700 miles and 18 hours, including gas and meal stops.

I just mapped Moab, and it is further north and east than I realized. Google maps shows it as an 11 1/2 hour, 800 mile run, but I'm dubious about that time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    12 hours with two big stops. That's from chula. Did it last year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It is definitely not 800 miles...something is wrong there...

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Go to St George, ride some Gooseberry etc, then drive on 5 more hours and hit it. Once you run the trails of SW Utah, you may skip the additional driving (read GAS MONEY).

IMO, SW Utah has LOTS for great riding. Me, I have not driven north of St George since 1984 ( my honeymoon trip).

Ride ON!

mtbr member
    It's a great trip and really not a bad drive (so long as you miss traffic from Vegas home). I do it every year in October and it almost always takes 12-13 hours from San Diego. I usually hit the road at 5am to beat Inland Empire traffic, then it's pretty smooth sailing from there. I get through Vegas then stop at one of the last exits for gas and snack then keep rolling. From there, a good next stop for lunch is St. George. From there, you can make a stop or two to take in scenery and stretch out your legs and you will get to Moab by dinner time.

Speed limits are 75mph most of the way, so there is really no need to speed. Be sure to slow way down going through the occasional small town. if you can, avoid coming home on Sunday because of extra traffic from Las Vegas. The 4.5-hour drive from Las Vegas can easily turn into 8 if you try to make that drive on a busy Sunday.

Phil from San Diego
    I'm thinking of going to moab in April and just started to plan my trip. This post came at a perfect time! Thanks! =)

I was hearing 18hr drive.. and thought I'd take 2 days.. but if it's only 12-13, that would be cake!

Where is a good place to stay in moab? I'm thinking I'd be there 4-5 days and like to pay less than $70 per night.. I'm looking at the Moab Valley RV Resort's cabins and Red Stone Inn.. If you guys know of a better place/value, let me know?

Thanks,

Phil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NoShirt
    It's a great trip and really not a bad drive (so long as you miss traffic from Vegas home). I do it every year in October and it almost always takes 12-13 hours from San Diego. I usually hit the road at 5am to beat Inland Empire traffic, then it's pretty smooth sailing from there. I get through Vegas then stop at one of the last exits for gas and snack then keep rolling. From there, a good next stop for lunch is St. George. From there, you can make a stop or two to take in scenery and stretch out your legs and you will get to Moab by dinner time.

Speed limits are 75mph most of the way, so there is really no need to speed. Be sure to slow way down going through the occasional small town. if you can, avoid coming home on Sunday because of extra traffic from Las Vegas. The 4.5-hour drive from Las Vegas can easily turn into 8 if you try to make that drive on a busy Sunday.
    That's great info. I second your advice about slowing down for the small towns. I've heard a few really credible stories about radar traps in southern Utah, and have my own experiences. If you are pushing it, back off before you get to town, even on the freeway. If you can just keep moving at the max, and keep the pit stops few and short, you maintain a high overall average speed.

Glad to Be Alive
    standard 10 hours from the valley LA...to SLC
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Agree with everything posted here, especially timing your approach to Vegas. It can really add to your drive time.

If you like flowy single track, at trip to Fruita is definitely worth it while you are in Moab.

I've driven 10 mph over the speed limit on the Interstate in Utah and not gotten a ticket. But on a side road had a car pass me going maybe 5 mph over the limit, he was pulled over a couple of miles down the road, so be careful.

mtbr member
    One of the better deals is the Holiday Inn Express just outside of downtown on Highway 191 as you come in to town. See if there are any discounted rates available (AAA) or shop it on one of the discount sites (Travelocity, etc). They have nice clean rooms, indoor pool/hot tub, free breakfast, WiFi and are bike friendly with a bike room with a few tools/storage. It is close to pedal to Poison Spider Bike Shop to pick up a shuttle ride and not too far from some good restaurants on that side of town.

jej
    Jay The Hill
    May 2007
    It's 12 hours from SD with 1 quick stop in Vegas but the traffic between LA and Vegas can really add at least 2 hours
    If you want to split the drive, it's worth stop and ride in St george (gooseberry mesa)
    I organised a bike trip for some people from Europe in early April.
    On the cheap side,Canyonlands campground is nice, you can also camp by the slickrock for much less but it's first come first serve. There's plenty of hotel but it's the high season there so you should make a reservation.. have fun

Phil from San Diego
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    It is definitely not 800 miles...something is wrong there...

I just google maped the distance as well as on yahoo maps.. both show 790miles.. Should it be alot shorter or longer?

Also did a calculation, if it's 800miles.. 1600 round trip.. $3.6 per gallon of gas... comes to $200 at 30mpg! Yikes. lol.