( o Y o ) 's!!

San Diego Kearny Moto Park and MTB?

Do any of you ride or know if you can ride your mountain bike during their practice sessions? I haven't been on a BMX track for almost 12 years and would love to take my 26" on there. Unfortunately, I don't have a bmx bike anymore.

Stray Bullet
    Most BMX tracks allow you ride almost any bike on them.

You need to make sure your bars have plugs at the ends and you have a pad kit.

I'm hitting Bellflower BMX for the first time on my MTB this evening.

mtbr member

Rent the Track...

You can rent he whole track fairly inexpensive (like a B-day party type deal) split it between you and your buddies and have a blast....

Leash Law Enforcer
    That looks like a lot of fun.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member

Where Is the Track?

Where is that track located?

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    I ride the bmx track on my P.3 almost every week.They are considered cruisers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention
    Where is that track located?
    They have two tracks, one in Kearny Mesa and one in Lakeside.
    http://www.kearnybmx.com/directions.htm

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Quote Originally Posted by REIGN 2
    You can rent he whole track fairly inexpensive (like a B-day party type deal) split it between you and your buddies and have a blast....
    I'm 32 in May and I think this would be a fun bday location. I'll give them a call.

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAN E
    I ride the bmx track on my P.3 almost every week.They are considered cruisers.
    What kind of pads do you use for your frame/stem?

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkayne
    What kind of pads do you use for your frame/stem?
    It took some time for me to find a pad kit for my bike. The woman at the track said the pad kit was no longer required, only recommended. It may vary by track so I would call first.

I hit Bellflower BMX last night. First time on a track and it was blast! When I was 8 I remember begging my dad to take me to a BMX track. He thought it was silly and that I was way too tall for a BMX bikes. Finally fulfilled my dream 20 years later.

It would be nice if they would let you wear shorts with shin guards instead of long pants. The cuff of my jeans got caught on my cranks in the first moto. If you wear jeans be sure to roll your pant legs up or tuck them into your socks.

Hardest thing to get used to was the gate. I couldn't balance on the thing to save my life. Definitely going to practice on the downslope of the driveway. That much sprinting was hard! Makes a hard climb seem easy. Berms were so much fun and pumping the rhythm sections were killer too.

Pretty safe to say I'll be doing my best to go once a week. Really wish I would have gotten my act together sooner. It would have made the DSL period a lot more fun.

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Oh wow, you actually raced! I was just going to practice but I may consider racing. The thing is, I'm on my dual suspension bike. I hope I don't get laughed at.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkayne
    Oh wow, you actually raced! I was just going to practice but I may consider racing. The thing is, I'm on my dual suspension bike. I hope I don't get laughed at.
    Thanks to LA traffic, when my buddy (TGreathead) and I got to the track we only had about 45 minutes to practice. Did about 5 runs and decided to do the race.

There was a total of 5 riders for the Cruiser class. Two younger guys who were both fast, an older guy in his 40's, and TGreathead and I.

First moto I came in last thanks to my pant leg getting stuck on the crank. Second and third moto beat TGreathead and advanced to finals. Came in last in the race. If I could balance on the gate I wouldn't have lost as badly. By the last race I was getting comfortable enough to get a couple of pedal strokes in-between the big tables.

Hopefully I'll be able to go this Saturday and figure the gate out and not get beat as bad.

In the practice sessions I got killed by boys who were about 7 or 8 and some teenage girls. Everyone was super nice and asked if I raced 4X and wanted to know (jokingly) if I thought the track was too flat.

Go to the practice and do the race. No reason to be intimated. If you can start doing sprints in the street. Literally pedal (standing) as fast as you can for 30 seconds rest for a minute and do it again. Minimize your gear changes to get your legs used to working in a wide amount of load situations. It will help a lot.

Old No. 7
    I go to school across the canyon from that track, actually you can see my campus in the background of the pic. Anyways, the track is usally deserted durring the week, you can just ride it when-ever, the fence isn't enclosing, you can just go around it.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

Stray Bullet
    Hit Bellflower BMX again on Saturday. The currect UCI World Champion was there practicing along with about 8 other pros from Germany and France. Those guys were amazing to watch!

( o Y o ) 's!!
    Well I went to KMP and had a blast practicing before and after the races. My gate starts with my SX Trail were horrible! The suspension absorbs all the power when the gate drops, well, that and I just plain suck at it right now. The bike just SQUATS. Regardless, it was a fun time! I watched the group that I would have been in if I chose to race and I think I could keep up with them. Oh well, next week I'll race.

It's 5 bucks a pop if you want to practice.

Ryan E. : Were you the guy with the Talas 36?