IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati

San Diego Hippies on Bikes

does anyone know if the SD Critical Mass thing is still goin on?? there is very little about it out there and i never hear anyone talk about it. it should be this friday night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    does anyone know if the SD Critical Mass thing is still goin on?? there is very little about it out there and i never hear anyone talk about it. it should be this friday night.
    apparently yes:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/bik/121008987.html

i actually posted that craigslist ad. i figured if it wasn't still going on it should be. i'll be there and so will my friends. i just hope others are still doing it. i have no problem putting the word out and making it larger like it should be.

mtbr member
    who organized it? adams ave bike shop i think? call them?

i just called Adams ave shop. they said they dont organize it but they that it is still happening. so, thats it then. right? y'all are coming? right? it's time for SD to know that we even have one. look for me. i'll be on this bike:

Now... harder to kill.
    Careful, if you get jacked by The Man that will get confiscated and held at my house as evidence.
    "My Life is violent, but violence is life" - Ice T

WANTED: A 20" Yeti frameset

Quote Originally Posted by 415m3
    Careful, if you get jacked by The Man that will get confiscated and held at my house as evidence.
    hmmm, you're probably right. critical mass is probably the wrong place for a rare bird like that. you cant trust "the fuzz". i'll probably take this bike instead.

mtbr member
    you have a bike that looks like a rug and one that looks like bowling shoes... what else you got?

Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    you have a bike that looks like a rug and one that looks like bowling shoes... what else you got?
    we both live in SD. you should stop by and take a look. it's like a crowded, slightly messy, mountain bike museum. e-mail me Drunkle and i'll send you a list.

ah man, Critical Mass was awesome. i've done some of the LA rides and this one was much smaller and more maneagable. we went throught the park, little italy, down town, gaslamp, trolly area, around the star of india, and basically everywhere that was cool. met a lot of great people too! lots of cycling culture brewing around that ride. i cant wait for the next one.

mtbr member

pictures?

ah man, Critical Mass was awesome. i've done some of the LA rides and this one was much smaller and more maneagable. we went throught the park, little italy, down town, gaslamp, trolly area, around the star of india, and basically everywhere that was cool. met a lot of great people too! lots of cycling culture brewing around that ride. i cant wait for the next one.
    How many peeps? And how did you get the bikes around the Star of India??

high plains drifter

I didn't see any hippies

but there was irrate taxi drivers , pot holes, and fire trucks.

high plains drifter

the pictures

too much fun to concentrate onpics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    How many peeps? And how did you get the bikes around the Star of India??
    people joined on and peeled off frequently but i'd say about 40 at any given time. i'd say about 10 of those people were newbie's from the craigslist ad and this one. not bad considering it's only had 2 days of advertising. from here on out it's going to get bigger. there's just something awesome about filling up a street with bikes at night and going and doing whatever's feels good. whoever happens to be in front dictates where and when you turn. very child like.

the ride took the entire street i guess to make a statement that they hated cars or something. can't say i agree with so few riders spreading across 3 lanes of traffic but it does give you a lot of freedom and downtown has very few cars anyway. personally i'd like to see the riders work with cars so drivers didn't get a bad taste in their mouths. those drivers that get pissed off on critical mass might be the same guys that through a beer bottle at you weeks later cause they hate cyclists. i dunno.