mtbr member
    Dec 2009

San Diego Grand Fondo Trail Quest

I'm in a group planning to ride the 30 mile trail quest. We've been training at Lake Hodges and have found if it is ridden as described, it's closer to 45 miles. Anyone who has ridden the race before know the correct course?
    Goat Rider

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    I'm in a group planning to ride the 30 mile trail quest. We've been training at Lake Hodges and have found if it is ridden as described, it's closer to 45 miles. Anyone who has ridden the race before know the correct course?
    Here's the whole KNK:

Giro di San Diego Granfondo ? Five Cycling Route Options

Here's the MTB Fondo....so, you two...fondue? Bueller?

Giro di San Diego Granfondo ? Mountain Bike Fondo

I've never ridden any bicycle race...but, I have mtb ridden all iterations of the Lake Hodges metro area. I believe the link above maps out the course correctly.

Edit: It does appear to be more than 30 miles, much more...no matter how you slice it...unless, somebody pulls a Rosie Ruiz!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yup, that's what we figured too. The minimum just to get all three totems is about 37. But crossing the start/finish three times like described is 45. Don't mind it's not exactly 30, but I wonder where that number came from.
    Goat Rider

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rode that race last year, and I won't ride it again. It starts too late, and I nearly dropped out from heat exhaustion. The maps are completely inaccurate, and the info they provide is terrible. You don't actually have to cross the finish line 3 times. You just have to have all 3 totems. Most people go get the 2 totems from the South side and raptor ridge, then cross the finish line and head out past the dam. I did the dam first because the maps showed you having to do the big climbs after the bridge and those are harder than raptor ride, so I wanted to hit them while it was cooler. They actually give you the totem as you approach the bridge and you turn around there.
    Here's my garmin track from last year. Ignore the time, I literally crawled under a bush on the raptor ridge climb to cool down.

Garmin Connect

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That's for sure more than 30 miles, and in early Sept. I can believe you would need to crawl under a bush for some heat relief!

Have fun!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks guys. We anticipate it being very warm. I finally found these. The longer one seems to match what they describe. The 30 miler has legs cut short but the people are listed as finishing. I guess the longer one the rider rode some extra.

Bike Ride Profile | Giro Di San Diego Mountain Bike Fondo near Escondido | Times and Records | Strava

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Giro di San Diego Mountain Fondo near Escondido | Times and Records | Strava

Tubored, your time is fine. Glad you were ok. We were worried about finishing in the allotted time if it was going to be 40+ miles. After blowing our wads on raptor, we are probably going to be slow.
    Goat Rider

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I believe they shortened the South side leg toward the end of the day. You can see my track is like the shorter one you posted. Honestly I just want to caution you that this was a pretty poorly run race compared to Q'n'D and the Dirt Devil trail-running races I have done. It was impossible to get information prior to the race. Everyone showed up not really knowing what to expect. In fact we were informed a day or two before the race that if we wanted to be a part of the KOM/QOM contest, we'd have to have strava set up to do so. I'm sure for a lot of people, that's no big deal as they're already using it. But if you'd never used it and didn't have it installed, it was a little off-putting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Exactly what I'm running into. They don't respond to emails or answer the phone.
    Goat Rider