29er Hater

San Diego - Gatos Ravine, Big Change Ahead?

The USFS is strongly considering redesignating Gatos Ravine Trail BIKE ONLY! Please read the attachment for details, they are also stating it as 1 way only, downhill. The USFS is seeking comments from other trail user groups.

It seems all that volunteer work is paying off (thank you to all the volunteers). So if you want this to happen, please stay off of Wooded Hill Trail and any other trail not open to bikes, signed or not.

I hope SDMBA speaks for the mtn bike community by responding to the USFS that we fully support this change. I don't know when a decision will be made, could be weeks, months or who knows, it's a federal agency.

View attachment here

mark@sdmba.com
    Shuttle Noble? Hell No!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Dayum, Mark! I guess all your hard work did pay off. Congrats.

Now we just need to start teaching those horses how to read signs.

: )
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-12-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Will wooded hill be considered for mtn bikes again?

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Nice work, amigo!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great news! Thanks for all your hard work, Mark.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

I <3 Dirt
    Great work! This could be our first bike-only trail in San Diego. I never thought I'd see the day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Awesome news! Hard work pays off.

29er Hater
    Due to strong opposition from the other trail user groups (equestrian, hikers, trail runners) the USFS is no longer strongly considering the re-designation of Gatos Ravine Trail, they are now merely considering it. They still believe it to be a good idea but for the opposition. Please email Ranger Will Brennan wbrennan@fs.fed.us with a positive response in favor of the re-designation to bikes only. Please feel free to have any other interested bike groups, industry types, etc respond as well.

mark@sdmbaa.com
    Shuttle Noble? Hell No!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklermark View Post
    Due to strong opposition from the other trail user groups (equestrian, hikers, trail runners) the USFS is no longer strongly considering the re-designation of Gatos Ravine Trail, they are now merely considering it. They still believe it to be a good idea but for the opposition. Please email Ranger Will Brennan wbrennan@fs.fed.us with a positive response in favor of the re-designation to bikes only. Please feel free to have any other interested bike groups, industry types, etc respond as well.

mark@sdmbaa.com
    Awesome, Just as I expected. With so many trails off limits to bikes you would think a few miles of trail would not be a big deal.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    "Change is bad. Next those dangerous and crazy off road bicycle maniacs will take over. It is a scourge, I tell you."
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Awesome, Just as I expected. With so many trails off limits to bikes you would think a few miles of trail would not be a big deal.
    +1
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    I don't think some opposition is unexpected. ****, look at the comments some of the anti-bike access people are writing on the "Share the PCT" site and facebook. Its pure hate, bs, and rhetoric. I have no doubt they are using the "I am a mountain biker but...." "bikes should not be allowed on dirt" ruse that MV is famous for. I encourage everyone to write the USFS and support bike only designation. There are hike/horse only trails, why is it unreasonable to think there should be a bike only trail? I cannot imagine why hikers and horses need access to this particular trail. While I don't oppose them being on it, I think it is safer particularly without horses. (Not that horses will stay off it even with an official bike only designation).

Please write in and support bike only on Los Gatos. Perhaps even more important, please write in and ask for a completely separate bike only area in Lagunas. There is plenty of area and elevation suitable to a MTB specific area away from all the hiker/horse BS up there. It would be a great area for some DH / flow style trails. They will only happen if the USFS sees a need for them, so please write in!

Unpredictable
    Once the LM sees the chance of MTB specific trails, those trails will have an ever-increasing chance of happening. MTB is (?) the second fastest growing sport in the world, offers benefits of fitness and health, community cooperation including via trailcare, financial advantages to the local area and the body of evidence supports MTB as an appropriate activity on public land. From our experience here in Australia, you must keep up your support for the USFS and make it as easy as possible for them to stand by their original "plan". There are a lot of MTBers but most never show their face to land managers. LM's like the USFS don't like grief from vocal and unreasonable groups. If those others hate MTB so much, then logic says there should be MTB specific trails in the area.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    (Not that horses will stay off it even with an official bike only designation).

Perhaps even more important, please write in and ask for a completely separate bike only area in Lagunas. There is plenty of area and elevation suitable to a MTB specific area away from all the hiker/horse BS up there. It would be a great area for some DH / flow style trails. They will only happen if the USFS sees a need for them, so please write in!
    I agree with you, it would be great to have an area for bikes only but I don't think it will ever happen. That would be seen by the opposition as a foot hold for bikers that could seqway into ORV use and bike parks. Not to mention that with the "entitlement" mentality prevalent here there is no way hikers or equestrians are going to stay off a bike only trail. You guys are talking about reason and logic. We don't do that here in SoCal. I am with you though, even in the face of ignorance and stupidity we must persevere.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^