Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Phil from San Diego

San Diego - Fire everywhere...

Been watching the news all day and the fire just keeps spreading! Crazy...

Now they've just announced new evacuation zones just north of where I live/work... I'm in west mira mesa/sorrento valley.. the smell of smoke seems worse than earlier today..

My housemates are starting to pack.. I'm still not too worried..

If/when, I'll just grab some clothes, important papers, my laptop and my bikes! Everything esle can be replaced...

Those of you who already had to evacuate, hope you are all ok and none of you lost your homes.

Phil

More pie please

USFD Forest Service satellite MODIS fire tracking

I don't know which fire thread to post this but I'm just picking this
    one; here's some satellite fire tracking info here:
    http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...maps&rCode=cgb

It's MODIS (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer)
    refreshed every two hours.

Even better is the MODIS fire data in zipped kml (kmz) format which
    you open in GoogleEarth at this activefiremaps link:
    http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/wms.php

Look for Continental United States and the KMZ Download link:
    http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/kml/conus.kmz

This is updated hourly. You can really zoom in on GoogleEarth and
    determine exactly where is burning or has burned.

We found this MODIS stuff on the NorCal forum during last month's
    big fire at Henry Coe State Park (a 12 page thread!).

Best wishes to everyone effected by the fires!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Unbelievable.....

Fallbrook fire is huge....Im a bit north and drove to a hilltop and looked at it from a distance. Entire town evacuated.

So then I get back home and its about 1130. I go to take a shower and come back and look out the window, towards temecula, and there is a huge cloud and flames coming up the hill. This is about 1.5 miles away. Then I look out the other side of the house, and there is another fire about 1/4 mile out there. Some ******* is going around starting these, no doubt.

They got the smaller one out, but it burned up into a neighbors grove (avocados) pretty good. Ive got water on and eyes open all night. This just sucks.

mtbr member

Good Luck!

Hey Matt Steve,
    Were here with ya! All our friends and family have us in their thoughts and prayers!
    SOCAL'S #1 ENDURANCE MTB EXPERIENCE
    www.12hrsoftemecula.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thoughts and prayers are sent out to yall- I used to live in PB/OB and work in Vista, with clients from Fallbrook/Temecula to Chula Vista. I was there for the Cedar go-round, this one is catching up quick from what i hear from amigos in the area.

pewpewpew Moderator
    This is all so awful. So many fires. I hope everyone is safe here.
    Love, Impy

Coyotewoman
    Hello all, a Norcal peep here.Just want you all to know your in our thoughts and prayers up here.Saw some of the fire trucks coming down from the hill towns yesterday heading south on the freeways to help out and trucks and firefighters from here in Sacto area.This is all so sad and scary.Take care all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey Jason

You know me.....Im Roberts friend. Your parents are out here, right? They OK?

I can now see another fire that is burning between the Fallbrook fire and the DeLuz fire.....

At least they can do air drops now..

mtbr member
    Up here in Oregon, we're sending our guys down your way. Wow!

mtbr member
    Update from 54 at 805.

So I have packed up and am ready to load, in case they begin evacuations in my area. I am on the north side of CA-54, right at 805. It's a very odd sensation... being completely safe and dry and warm, with Internet and electricity and clean air in the house (windows are closed)... all the while knowing that at any moment all that could change.

We don't have a tv, so all yesterday morning I listened to the radio for news of fires spreading and evacuations, etc. By mid-afternoon I was really shaken and almost broke down crying from the stress. I was tempted to call my husband who was at work at Point Loma (USN), but as a Navy wife remembered my "training" of never contacting him in a crisis if there is nothing he can do about it. The "training" stems from being stateside while he is out at sea ("He's got enough to worry about while on deployment, do not concern him with your issues if he can do nothing about it, especially if all you need is a hug. Call your mother.") And I know all it does is make him feel helpless, and is not fair to him.

So I called my parents for a little encouragement.
    "Hi honey, how you holding up?" my mom asked me.
    "Um... it's getting pretty rough. I've been packing things and getting ready to evacuate. Steve's not home and... I've never been in a fire before." my voice cracked as my eyes welled with tears.
    "You just need to trust God that the fire is not going to come near your house. You won't have to evacuate; we're just going to pray about that and--"
    I cut her off. This is not what I wanted or needed to hear. Although very well-meaning and faithful, positive-thinking evangelical Christians, my parents weren't offering me much in the way of practical advice for advancing flames.
    "Mom. Stop. This is not what I need to hear. I need you to tell me that I have been through a lot worse, with a lot less advanced warning. I need you to tell me that in the end, it's only things, and things can be replaced. That even if you can't keep all the trophies, you will always have the achievements; that even if you can't keep all the photos, you will always keep the memories. That the things around you are always secondary to the people around you. That the people around you need you to be strong, and keep it together, and be an example of calm for them. THIS is what I need you to tell me."

"Well, honey, of course. But you know that."
    I laughed. "Well tell me again..."

She reminded me that I'm just like my grandfather (her dad). He was one of the toughest people she ever knew, and was as cool as anyone under fire (so to speak). She has told me for years that I am my grandfather's kindred spirit, and that I can make it through anything. I take great courage from that.

Since that call yesterday afternoon, I've been in a really good frame of mind. I know the fires are coming closer, as I watch the reports on the Internet and watch the line of grey in the sky rise higher and higher, slowly overtaking the blue. I walk around the house and mentally say goodbye to everything, because I hate surprises, and just want to prepare myself.

I've been over to see my neighbor across the street a couple times, to get a pulse on things and look out her back porch that faces south across the 54 and into Bonita. She said she watched the fire creep across Mt Miguel last night, glowing across the night sky. Today the smoke is thick enough that you no longer see Mt Miguel. Here are some of the photos I've takes over the past couple days.

From the neighbor's back porch: Mt Miguel in the distance and a puff of smoke above it

Opposite side of the street - my house. The line of grey is from the fires burning to the north. There are fires bounding us on all sides except the Pacific Ocean side

My house again. The wind was really blowing yesterday

Looking to the southwest - this smoke is coming from yet another fire burning close to the Mexico border

This morning from my neighbor's porch

Looking east again at Mt Miguel, only this time you can't see it

More morning sky

Almost due west - smoke coming from the south

Fine layer of ash on my car

People have been really amazing here. Volunteers have shown up at various shelters with homemade sandwiches and positive attitudes. When asked what they came to do, they told the reporter that, "Well, we figured someone might need our help, so we came."

So, in the sense that there is a huge loss of property and destruction, yeah, it's really bad here. But in terms of attitude and strength and courage, it's really good here. Please keep us in your prayers, that the winds will die down quickly, that the dew point will increase and humidity will rise, and that people will continue to find the best in themselves through this.

Thanks.
    -sunny

San Diego 92139

mtbr member

Hang in there Sunny!

I'm a little ways north of you (just south of Lemon Groove by Imperial Ave) and just remember you have a lake and a couple freeways between you and the fire. The really telling thing is the wind, which is not bad, and sometimes blowing east. What you have not seen without a TV is a steady stream of National Guard helecopters pulling water out of Sweetwater res and dropping it on the critical areas.
    You are doing the right thing, being ready and listening to the radio. You're gonna be alright.

Ron in SD
    Pain rushes in to fill the void where common sense should be.

Boyeeee
    I live in RB and evacuated around 6am yesterday.

Just remember that you don't actually need a whole lot. Most of it is just "stuff" and can be replaced (even my beloved bikes). Make sure your family is safe and get out when you have to.

Stay strong and stay out of danger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sunny - hope that all remains well at your house!

mtbr member
    I watched the fire from my place in eastlake burn up the trails at Sweetwater. (I wish I had my camera, it was paced in the truck.)

The fire ran up about 500 yards from my place.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

Dirtmistress
    Hey Sunny,
    This is Liz in L.A. The one with the purple tandem. I hope things are going ok. I'll be thinking hard about you. Hang in there ok? Good luck!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

banned
    Sending some love from AZ. Hope everything goes well for all of you and your families.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Damn

I grew up in Falbrook and went to HS there in the early 90's. Never went back afterwards. This sucks though, I remember it being very dry with tons of oak trees that could light up quite easily.

Hope all is well....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This was taken last night at 3:00 AM at Mount Miguel.This is looking directly east from Bell Jr HIgh in Paradise Hills at the intersection of Nebraska and Briarwood.

sunnyside up
    Howdy all you fire-ravaged SoCal mountain bikers.

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts today. I know it's got to be terrible for a lot of you, and so I am sending some good luck vibes, finger crossing energy your way, hoping you and your homes will stay out of harms way, and also some really heartfelt condolences if you've had the fires wipe you out.

Patty from NorCal

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

Most trails are toast.

In Escondido Lake Hodges trails are toasted, Daley ranch may burn. My home was surrounded but last i heard it still stands. When I thought that we may have to evacuate my Turner was the first thing I loaded into my truck. It looks like Noble and Cuyamaca are ok for now but who knows? Has sycamore canyon been burned at all?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    First, want to wish the best for all affected by the fires.

Second, if anyone can report on which trails were/were not affected that would be useful:
    Mission Trails -looks fine to me as I drive by
    Sycamore Canyon - Did not hear any reports of fire there
    Los Penasquitos - Not sure but appeared to be south of main fire
    Lake Hodges - Assume mostly gone
    Daley Ranch - ?

Third, I was not a rider when the previous fires swept through but am curious to know how long trails /areas are usually shut down to mountain bikes after a fire.

Fourth, Any good ideas for new places to ride that were not affected by the fires.

Thanks,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    PQ, DMM and Black Mountain are all fine.

mtbr member

From the news reports...

Looks like the northern thrust of the witch fire went east of Valley Center, so Daley is probably OK for now.

The fire map shows Elfin forest (along with Hodges) as burned.

The fire is heading east :-( towards Cuyamaca and Lagunas. It has a was to go so hopefully they can knock it down as the wind dies and it cools off a little. But their effort will be to save Julian and the surrounding area first.
    Pain rushes in to fill the void where common sense should be.

Master of '80s BMX tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbyknees
    Howdy all you fire-ravaged SoCal mountain bikers.

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts today. I know it's got to be terrible for a lot of you, and so I am sending some good luck vibes, finger crossing energy your way, hoping you and your homes will stay out of harms way, and also some really heartfelt condolences if you've had the fires wipe you out...l
    ditto from your East SF bay Brethren.
    We mourn for your losses and are saddened to see so much of nature and wildlife scorched by the wildfires. We hope for a quick end and a speedy recovery from this. You're welcome to come up north and explore our trails while yours heal.
    Mathew,
    Oakland

mtbr member
    We drove through Elfin forest this afternoon, probably about noon or one. The road was open. The parking lot was, of course, locked, but the "way up" trail was fine. It didn't look like anything was touched there. Don't know if it's any different on the top, but the bottom was fine.

crazyhouse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast