mtbr member
    Apr 2006

San Diego, Del Mar, La Jolla

First things first I hope all my fellow fat tire enthusiasts are doing alright.

Secondly I will be in the La Jolla , Del Mar area for work and would love to do some mountain biking. I am going to bring my hard tail and I hope to do some rolling rides to train for cyclocross here in Boulder.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

thanks!

mtbr member

Hopefull you won't be here until after the air has cleared up

Penasquitos Canyon is close to La Jolla and Del Mar (and the best trails are in the Del Mar mesa area of PQ) and were not affected by the fires. I did 19 miles there Sunday before the firestorm started. You can probably ride there from your hotel.

Check Bill's site: www.mountainbikebill.com
    Pain rushes in to fill the void where common sense should be.

mistereckz
    As far as I know everything is closed right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all National Forests in SoCal, all open space parks in San Diego, and all State Parks in the area are closed. The reason being that all fire resources are stretched to the max right now, and they don't want anything else to worry about. You could probably go riding if you didn't park in the trailhead lots, but you are risking being an assumed arsonist if you are caught.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Stick to the coast and ride the road with a mask.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The air quality here will be improving on a daily basis. I'd bring the cross bike, do one of the SoCal cross series races (Every Sunday) as part of your training. Thats if you plan being down through the weekend.

mtbr member
    take it easy and have fun. ride from la jolla, down to pb, through mission beach and around the bay, down to ob (swing around sunset cliffs) and through to downtown. take the ferry across to coronado and cruise around there. stop for lunch, enjoy the day and head back up.

mtbr member

Ucsd

You could ride the UCSD campus trail system. Should be clearing up soon since it is right on the coast. Small area but you can get an hour of riding out of it.
    http://members.cox.net/garyfox/ucsd_campus.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You don't say when you'll be here, but I'm with Roller62 on this. For rolling trail rides in the area, I agree with DelMarMesa/PQCanyon, but would also add Daley Ranch -- not too far away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Thanks for the info!

I was out this week but was worried about air quality. Next time i come out i'll bring the bike since the air seems fine.