mtbr member
    Jul 2006

San Diego: Beginner's Trail?

Hey Guys/Gals -

So I'm just getting started. I've got a buddy who's a very experienced rider (recently moved here), and he's offered to dumb his skills down for a day and hit a trail with me tomorrow.

The problem is: I don't know where to suggest we go.

I've been scanning various forums, and since I live in South Bay, actually took a drive out to Otay Lakes, and the Home Depot Hills (H Street). From what I've read, Otay Lake is pretty calm; the Home Depot Hills seems a bit more trying.

Today while checking out the trail head at Otay Lakes, I saw a pretty good size rattler hanging out; he made a good amount of noise at me, in the event I was paying attention (I guess).

I'm comfortable on a bike, but a tad nervous that I'll jump on my first switchbacks and take a fang in the leg on account of my inexperience.

Thoughts? I don't mind leaving South Bay. I actually considered the UCSD trails...but the list of trails I've been perusing seem to be outdated.

Any help y'all can throw would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tglinatsis; 07-02-2006 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added question mark to topic title
    ----------------------
    Turnip Network
    ----------------------

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Okay, so after posting this, I did a little more digging in the forums.

It sounds like I'm going to flip a coin and either do Otay Lakes or Sweetwater South.

Sorry for the post...I should have searched first.
    ----------------------
    Turnip Network
    ----------------------

mtbr member

Sweetwater lake

Hey, you may want to try out Sweetwater regional park. It may be a little tricky getting to the south end with the construction on 125 but the trails on that side are a little easier. The more easterly you go the more hills and technical the terrain gets. You can go up hill as far as you want to go and turn back when it gets to be a drag. I'm still a newbie (six months on a real MTB), and I came in from the east side by the Steel Canyon Bridge on 94 in Rancho SD. There are some steep, rutted parts that I walked up but there was also a decent amount of flowey single track by the lake.

You can also find some easy trails on the east side of Mission Trails park if you do the flatlands loop or head up Spring Canyon a short ways. Not a whole lot of mileage but there is some terrain you can work up your skills on.

I wouldn't worry about snakes too much. If you are moving they shouldn't give you any problem. And when your walking around just make some noise to let em know you are there.

Have fun and good luck

Ron

Trail Rider

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

Try the link above. Penasquitos park at Mercy Rd is a good beginner trail. Also up at Mt Laguna at the BLM big meadow area, is a good ride for newbies. Sweetwater is where I started. There is a canyon at Mission trails that you can ride up and back that might be fun for you also. Have fun!
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    i agree with Quattro you should try the canyon on the east side of mission trails its got sections for all levels of expirience and fast and fun coming back go early and watch out for hikers .
    take 125 to the 52 get off at mast blvd turn right you will see the parking lot have fun

mtbr member

Easier Trails

Try Sorrento Valley. Fun wide, maybe hot though. Located just off the 5 frwy in La Jolla.

Also try Dailey Ranch. Pleanty of non technical trails, however there is some climbs that might be tough on the lungs if you are just getting back in shape.

Enjoy the ride!

Craig
    happy hour is over, and I need two more gears.

mtbr member
    Mission trails (my back yard) is a fun beginners ride. Let me know if you are interested. I'll be more than happy to show you some trails

PM me

SanDiegoTrailRider

mtbr member
    Hi,

Lake Hodges (north) and the Big Laguna Trail are the best beginner rides, in my opinion.

I rode Hodges again and again when I first started because it's not physically that hard and it has some decent beginner technicals that will challenge you in many different ways.

BLT is sweet single track up in the pine forest of Mount Laguna. It's not technically hard, but it has great flow, and the scenery is wonderful. It's a ride that anyone, at any level, will enjoy.

Penasquitos Canyon is another one, but I never really liked it that much. The beginner stuff tends to be fire roads.

Check them out.

Here's directions & more info: www.mountainbikebill.com
    - elivingston