mtbr member
    May 2006

San Diego area summer mountain biking camps

We're new to the San Diego area, from north of Vancouver, BC. We are trying to hook up with local mountain biking groups or to locate a summer mountain biking camp. My son is 13, rides a Specialized and is a hardy rider. Any suggestions? Thanks

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Welcome to San Diego! Might want to check this group out:

http://members.cox.net/garyfox/

Don't know of any mtb camps. Much easier to find surf and lifeguard camps down here. BTW, my son is 10 and rides a Specialized too. What part of town are you in? Perhaps we can hook up for a ride in the near future.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks for the link. . .

I will check the website more after work today. It looks like an excellent resource. Have you gone on any of the rides posted there?

We live in North San Diego County, Solana Beach. Where are you located?

I was asking an adult mtb rider yesterday if he knew of any younger or mixed age groups; he mentioned that it is much easier to find 'older' groups of riders. We will continue searching.

mtbr member
    Hey Dolaguers,
    Your child rides, but not you? Correct?

You happen to live just about triathlon central. If you can find some of the older tri geeks, ibet they msut have kids your childs age. Odds are those children ride bikes. Hopefully mtn bikes.
    Start hanging out at the coffee shops and ask around.

HEY NOW, I just remembered. Go to Leucadia Cyclery and ask Fred if he knows anything. He is not there Mon, Wed or Sunday.

mtbr member
    Hey Dolaguer,

I live in Carmel Valley/Del Mar, very close to you. If you ever want to do a local ride let me know, Del Mar Mesa would be great for your kid to ride.