PITY THE FOOL!

San Diegians - Rose / San Clemente Canyon question

Does anyone know how to get around the new fence installed on the mesa (next to the dump) between San Clemente and Rose Canyons? The fence was installed by the nursery during thier expansion and was left unlocked for almost a year. Now they have locked both gates and have effectively killed my 17 mile loop.

Both canyons are too short to ride out and back so the loop made the whole thing worthwhile.

I was up there Wednesday for the first time in months hoping the gates would be open but no such luck. I saw tracks so I know others have been in the area but couldn't find a way through. Any ideas?

How dare the nursery lock out all of us tresspassers!
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

boltcutters?

Quote Originally Posted by troy
    Does anyone know how to get around the new fence installed on the mesa (next to the dump) between San Clemente and Rose Canyons? The fence was installed by the nursery during thier expansion and was left unlocked for almost a year. Now they have locked both gates and have effectively killed my 17 mile loop.

Both canyons are too short to ride out and back so the loop made the whole thing worthwhile.

I was up there Wednesday for the first time in months hoping the gates would be open but no such luck. I saw tracks so I know others have been in the area but couldn't find a way through. Any ideas?

How dare the nursery lock out all of us tresspassers!
    I alwasy thought that it wasn't a fence protecting the nursery but a fence keeping people off of MCAS. At least that's the impression I got when a friend told me he went through it a few years ago and some MP's wanted to confiscate his bike.............

Now if we could just get some of those pesky Marines to do some work on Spring and Oak canyons in Mission Trails..........

YR

If you have to ask...

Don't quote me on this...

I am in no way encouraging you to trespass, and I myself have NEVER, EVER done so on Miramar land, but the key is that gate on the far right, over behind the earthmoving equipment. It's locked, but the hinges are broken. Grab the bottom of it, and pull it towards you, dropping the top down the other side. You can now walk over the semi-horizontal gate. Make sure you lift it back up after you are through, though- I would hate to find that gate fixed because somebody notices it fallen over.

Unfortunately, the fun little singletrack that cut through the flats behind the nursery is now gone, so stick to the Miramar fenceline, and cruise really fast to the top of Rattlesnake Canyon. Don't even fart around looking for that singletrack- it is under a huge heap of bark-o-mulch.

miles (by the way, all of this is complete hearsay, and I myself can not vouch for its accuracy, as I have NEVER EVER trespassed back there)
    It's 7:09 California time

Samsonite Tester

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    I am in no way encouraging you to trespass, and I myself have NEVER, EVER done so on Miramar land, but the key is that gate on the far right, over behind the earthmoving equipment. It's locked, but the hinges are broken. Grab the bottom of it, and pull it towards you, dropping the top down the other side. You can now walk over the semi-horizontal gate. Make sure you lift it back up after you are through, though- I would hate to find that gate fixed because somebody notices it fallen over.

Unfortunately, the fun little singletrack that cut through the flats behind the nursery is now gone, so stick to the Miramar fenceline, and cruise really fast to the top of Rattlesnake Canyon. Don't even fart around looking for that singletrack- it is under a huge heap of bark-o-mulch.

miles (by the way, all of this is complete hearsay, and I myself can not vouch for its accuracy, as I have NEVER EVER trespassed back there)
    It is inovative thinkers like this that makes our country such a great place. It almost sounds like a victimless crime like prostitui , no one was hurt and when you are done it never happened.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

PITY THE FOOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    I alwasy thought that it wasn't a fence protecting the nursery but a fence keeping people off of MCAS. At least that's the impression I got when a friend told me he went through it a few years ago and some MP's wanted to confiscate his bike.............

YR
    There are two fences. One running basically north/south that keeps you out of MCAS. Now there is a new one running E/W and they connect. The new one keeps you from cutting thru or skirting the nursery, which you need to do in order to drop back into the canyons. I don't blame them for fencing off their property, especially with so many 5 gallon plants that you could easily drive off with, but it sucks.

PITY THE FOOL!

Thanks for the tip. I was checking out the area behind the earth moving equipment on wednesday but two guys who work for the dump were still hanging around (who works late at the dump?) so I couldn't really be too obvious.

I'll have to try again and see what I find. How recent have you been out there?

If you have to ask...

Pretty recently.

A couple of weeks ago. I have ridden that area so damned much over the years that it really doesn't do much for me any more, but it sure is super convenient- a few blocks of pavement, and I'm there.

How often do you ridew the loop?

miles

PITY THE FOOL!
    A couple of weeks ago. I have ridden that area so damned much over the years that it really doesn't do much for me any more, but it sure is super convenient- a few blocks of pavement, and I'm there.

How often do you ridew the loop?

miles
    Cool. I wasn't sure if your gate info was old or current. I'm the same way.... been riding there since I was in college (90 - 91) and can't get over the convience factor. I live and work in PB/La Jolla so it's too close to pass up after work. We used to ride there at least once a week when i was doing early morning rides. Before Wednesday I hadn't been there in 3-4 months, mostly because of the fences. If you can't make a loop then it's pretty short and not worth it. I tried it again last week thinking I'd get lucky but no such luck. I'll probably go out again Wednesday after work and see if I can find your spot. I'll be out there around 5:00 ish and usually park at the end of Santa Fe road if I'm coming from work.

If you have to ask...

See you on wednesday

no message

If you have to ask...

I just remembered

I have an appointment at Mt Helix at 3:30. If I'm there at Santa Fe at 5, cool. If not, the ten minute rule applies.

miles

PITY THE FOOL!
    I have an appointment at Mt Helix at 3:30. If I'm there at Santa Fe at 5, cool. If not, the ten minute rule applies.

miles
    10 minute rule noted. I'll be the white guy on a either a Turner or a old red Fisher singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Wow, haven't ridden that loop for years. I used to work at UTC and that ride was one of my "waiting for traffic to die down before i drove home from work" rides. Late in the day it got a little spooky under the 52/805 overpass.