mtbr member
    Jul 2007

San Clemente area, bike rental and trail info

I'll be visiting the in-laws at Xmas and should have a day to hit the trails. My fitness level is probably moderate for SoCal. I can do about 15 miles with a good amount of climbing or a bit longer with more moderate climbs.

I won't be bringing out any bikes as one single day on the trails doesn't justify the PITA to get a travel case, etc. figured I could rent something/demo a bike for a day.

Can anyone help me with area trails and a good shop to get a steed?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Thed Path rents high end demos

best trail near San Clemente IMHO is San Juan, 11 miles each way, all single track and if you have 2 cars it can be shuttled (which I think is best if you're riding it on the weekend).

I'm your density
    (Added in some informational links.)

I believe at San Juan you'll need a forest adventure pass to park. I think the closest place to get one is Costa Mesa?? Region 5 - Recreation Passes & Permits

An alternative place to ride would be San Clemente Single Tracks a.k.a. Weed Patch. It's a lot of fun with a network of relatively short single track (well-built and maintained), but the downside is it can be confusing to find your way around if you haven't ridden there several times.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Yep! The Weedpatch would be really fun...with a guide.

And the San Juan Trail is a great option if you have time. If you don't mind climbing, it's actually fairly mellow--and you'll have trail knowledge for the descent. It's six miles to Cocktail Rock, and it's really worth it to continue up and do the Lollipop Loop (clockwise). MTB Bill has a good write up and map.

Pm me when you're in town and I'd be down for either ride.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

I'm your density
    If you do San Juan and climb it, start early or you'll be dodging downhill riders (and they you)
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sweet. Thanks for all the info. sounds like theres enough in the immediate area that ill get some miles in.
    I'll look you up dirtvert.

Mike