Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Sagebrush Safari.

Who all is doing it this year?

I'll be going up there Sunday th 14th to preride if anybody is interested.

Relaxed pace becasue I am slow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That place turns into a hideous quagmire after a rain. I suggest you check the conditions before heading out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks, the mud can be nasty

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The traction from the rains was AWESOME. yes there was some mud but it wasn't that bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How is the course since the fires? Is Gunslinger still single track? If you wake up the morning of the race in San Diego and it is drizzling, you better take snow gear to Lake Morena.

Anybody every see KB around?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not sure which one was gunslinger. Only looked for the trail numbers based on the Team Big Bear course notes. If its the #1 trail, you could consider it WIDE singletrack until about 1/2 way on #1 then it more like singletrack. Wide in some spots. on the second half of #1 there is a pretty nasty wash-out of the trail. I dabbed past it. On of my friends was able to ride it. This wash-out was probably 2-3 feet deep and 1-2 feet long.

BLT2
    Apr 2008
    With rain in the forecast for Friday and Saturday, what condition do you guys think the course will be in for the race?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    crappy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    One year the forest service took a bobcat mini-dozer down Kernan two weeks before the race and turned it into moon dust. On race day the mixture of rain, snow, sleet and hail turned it into baby poo. I can still picture the mud squishing through the spokes of my front wheel like some sort of playdough machine as I had both wheels locked up and the front wheel turned 45 degrees as a oozed down the trail. Somehow I made it down without wrecking. The main thing that got me back to my truck was the thinking of the package of Dudley's Fruit Bars waiting for me. When I got back to my truck, I had so much mud in my shorts that when I stripped naked and you couldn't see any line at the waist or knees.

The next year was bright and sunny. As we were climbing the hike-a-bike (which the year previous was a waterfall), all the riders around me were *****ing about how hard it was. No one seemed to get my joke when I quoted Jesse Ventura from the beginning of Predator, but they all shut up.

The first year they ran Sage Brush, they had to S&R some riders that were stuck out on the trail with hypothermia. I didn't ride it till the second year in 1990. Despite the crappy weather, it is still one of my favourite race courses.

Still no Keith Bennet sightings? How about John Martin?

mnoutain bkie rdier

rain rain go away..

Looks like 2 more days of rain right before the race....argh! I was really looking forward to this one. Will have to become spectator if muddy....do not likey the muddy conditions on race day...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Looks like 2 more days of rain right before the race....argh! I was really looking forward to this one. Will have to become spectator if muddy....do not likey the muddy conditions on race day...
    Oh no! Your mountain bike might get dirty!
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Rain or shine, I am planning to race. It can't be worse then the mild hypothermia I experienced at this years Boulevard road race. If the sun is out and the dirt is dry, I will ride my carbon fiber S-works hard tail geared bike. IF there is a lot of mud, I will be racing on my green Sycip SS 29" Diesel. I will mount my Michelin AT mud tired and have a blast. In fact I hereby make a call out to all riders. Rise up and find a ss anyway you can. Convert your geared bike, borrow one from your friend; whatever you have to do to find a ss, just do it. Picture two hundred ss racers showing up to race. The people struggling through the mud with clogged derailleurs may get confused and just go home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    im riding out there this friday, so ill post back the conditions i see.

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outside!
    One year the forest service took a bobcat mini-dozer down Kernan two weeks before the race and turned it into moon dust. On race day the mixture of rain, snow, sleet and hail turned it into baby poo. I can still picture the mud squishing through the spokes of my front wheel like some sort of playdough machine as I had both wheels locked up and the front wheel turned 45 degrees as a oozed down the trail. Somehow I made it down without wrecking. The main thing that got me back to my truck was the thinking of the package of Dudley's Fruit Bars waiting for me. When I got back to my truck, I had so much mud in my shorts that when I stripped naked and you couldn't see any line at the waist or knees.

The next year was bright and sunny. As we were climbing the hike-a-bike (which the year previous was a waterfall), all the riders around me were *****ing about how hard it was. No one seemed to get my joke when I quoted Jesse Ventura from the beginning of Predator, but they all shut up.

The first year they ran Sage Brush, they had to S&R some riders that were stuck out on the trail with hypothermia. I didn't ride it till the second year in 1990. Despite the crappy weather, it is still one of my favourite race courses.

Still no Keith Bennet sightings? How about John Martin?

Do you mean Bob Martin, he now lives in Utah and Keith said he is vary happy not to be a Race promoter.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB
    Do you mean Bob Martin, he now lives in Utah and Keith said he is vary happy not to be a Race promoter.
    Brain fart... I meant Bob. Thanks for the update! Now I remember hearing that Bob married an awesome girl and moved to Utah. Memories from BK (Before Kids) are fading fast!

Bob and Keith are great guys and did a lot for San Diego mountain biking. For those that don't know, Keith was the original Sagebrush Safari organizer (although I seem to remember Bob helping a lot) and both of them were two of the founding members of SDMBA (pizza meetings at Giovanni's). You wouldn't guess it by looking at Bob, but he had a way of riding away from you (well me anyway) on the climbs. Anyone remember Wednesday night rides at Mission Trails. Back then 52 wasn't in the way and E-ticket was a fun, tight little single track. I think Bob was in the back of my truck the time we drove to the top of North Fortuna and finished the trail that drops down the north side.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Oh no! Your mountain bike might get dirty!

@ Outside: Below are YOUR words. If this is your sales pitch, it is not very effective:

"On race day the mixture of rain, snow, sleet and hail turned it into baby poo. I can still picture the mud squishing through the spokes of my front wheel like some sort of playdough machine as I had both wheels locked up and the front wheel turned 45 degrees as a oozed down the trail. Somehow I made it down without wrecking."

Again....no likey the muddy....guess I am not as hard core as you are...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have no choice. I regestered three weeks ago before nay weather forcast. I am to cheap to waste my entry fee.

master blaster
    how do the catagories work in this race? i want to sign up begginer, would that be cat3?
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Beginner is now Cat 3. Pick the age category corisponding to how old you ate the end of the year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What tires are you guys going to run? I have some Michelin XC AT 29ers. I may put them on. Should I keep my rear 29-3 2.0 for the race(redicoulously lite)? Fron with defenently get the XC AT. unsure on the rear.

Birthday Collector
    Brain fart... I meant Bob. Thanks for the update! Now I remember hearing that Bob married an awesome girl and moved to Utah. Memories from BK (Before Kids) are fading fast!

Bob and Keith are great guys and did a lot for San Diego mountain biking. For those that don't know, Keith was the original Sagebrush Safari organizer (although I seem to remember Bob helping a lot) and both of them were two of the founding members of SDMBA (pizza meetings at Giovanni's). You wouldn't guess it by looking at Bob, but he had a way of riding away from you (well me anyway) on the climbs. Anyone remember Wednesday night rides at Mission Trails. Back then 52 wasn't in the way and E-ticket was a fun, tight little single track. I think Bob was in the back of my truck the time we drove to the top of North Fortuna and finished the trail that drops down the north side.
    Actually, you have a few facts that are a bit off (but yes, Bob and KB are great guys and I miss them both a lot - Bob's in UT, I'm in NorCal and haven't seen KB in about 5 years - saw Bob a couple of years ago...)

History lesson: Myself, Bob and Karyn Kent were the original organizers of the Sagebrush, along with a lot of friends that helped. Keith raced that damn thing on a Murray, as I recall. Bob and I ran a club that for years was the SLOBs (SouthLand Offroad Bikers) that we changed to ORCA (Off Road Cycling Association) thinking that "SLOBs" probably wouldn't get too much cred from the rangers and land managers that we were starting to deal with trying to keep trails open, schedule group rides, etc... Karyn was the one who actually came up with the idea for the race there. We had been talking about putting one on somewhere in the county, and she popped up with "Why not Lake Morena?" Bob knew a lot of the rangers as he delivered food for Kraft, and did the Mountain Route for them. That got it started, I set up a lot of the logistic-related, Karyn pushed to get the paperwork filed with the BLM for the permits, and a bunch of other people in the club helped with trail prep work signing, and all the other things that need to be done to put on a race. Timing was a bit of a fiasco the first year, as it was all done on my little Mac Plus, on a generator that kept having issues... We eventually got it all done in the midst of a huge storm that had people stranded on the course with hypothermia and bikes clogged with mud. Our friend Jeff saved a lot of asses that day on his motorcycle - riding up Espinosa with a box of trash bags for weather protection for everyone, and kicking people's butts to keep them moving. I took our shop van and was picking up riders at the bottom of the descent if they couldn't pedal, and running them back to the start/finish area. It was a crazy day, but I'll never forget it.

Keith took over running the Sagebrush a couple of years later. He ran (runs?) a landscaping biz, and had some time to devote, and is really the one that made the race go large. The course was changed to be easier to support, as the farther parts of the original long course were basically inaccessible even by 4x4 if conditions were bad. He did a great job and the rest of us volunteered until Team Big Bear took over in the 90's. I'm glad to hear that the race is still running - last was out there in 2005, and a lot of the course had been changed by all the ATV traffic, but it was still fun to ride it again. I really want to get back down to ride Anza Borrego before if gets hot, not sure if I can escape or not!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ATBScott,

I remember you, we share a name! I used to work with Leslie and she introduced me to all of you.

Thanks for the history lesson. I think I was an ORCA member. I wasn't at the first Sagebrush (but I heard stories!) and my memory is getting fuzzier about the times I was there. I rode both races in 1990 (February and March I think) and continued to race until ~1995. I helped with the race some of those years. Keith always took the volunteers to dinner at an Italian place in Alpine. I volunteered at the 1997 race and still have the shirt. My best finish was 6th in sport in one of the earlier races. I topped the climb in third, but my glasses were fogged and I had a pretty good high speed crash where the berm came up and hit me in the face. I remember sitting there with my right grip still in my hand, but the bike was about ten feet away. Riding with a loose grip sucks. This must have been one of the earlier races, becuase shortly after that this little company called Onza came out with these things called bar ends.

Keith always ran a great race, but the weather was sometimes uncooperative.

Do you remember a race in Julian sometime in 1991? I raced and remember Bob and a group of friends standing near a v-shaped ravine and encouraging/heckling the riders (You can do it! You can do it!, Aw man, you can do better than that!)

If you head this way and want someone to ride with, PM me.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    What tires are you guys going to run? I have some Michelin XC AT 29ers. I may put them on. Should I keep my rear 29-3 2.0 for the race(redicoulously lite)? Fron with defenently get the XC AT. unsure on the rear.
    i have those same tires im thinking about swapping my sb8's with again. i used them at vail lake after the rain and they did well. how is the track for this ride? clay like or more wet muddy like?
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    probably both. Its supposed to rain on saturday.

Birthday Collector
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    Take it from someone who lives where it rains more now in the winter - and rides a 29'er also - that Michelin is a great rear tire for wet and mucky conditions - I have it on my bike now. It rolls reasonably fast and grips OK in most conditions overall - though I think it would wear out faster than a pencil eraser on some of the rocky/DG conditions in San Diego in the drier months... While they aren't made any longer, if you can find one to use, the old Specialized Resolution Pro 29 x 2.3 works very well for me as front tire - rolls fairly fast and is predictable in all conditions. Maxxis Ardent in a 2.25" for the front may be a good choice too, if things are wet and loose. Have good time!

Ouside! - don't know when I'll get down there again, but would like to before the weather gets too warm! If not this Spring, I am going to try around Thanksgiving... Getting tired of the rain up here - wet year! POURING as I type.... Road ride this weekend it looks like!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast