Thread: RTA Poker Ride!

mtbr member

RTA Poker Ride!

If you're in the San Diego area, you may have heard of the Ramona Trails Association: a multiuse trail access organization that's primarily equestrian and based out of the Ramona area. They've been very supportive of our multiuse-bicycle access efforts in San Diego proper and active for more than a decade to secure and preserve multiuse trails in the Ramona area.

These people are the "good guys" and they walk their talk on multiuse: their annual fete is a multiuse Poker Ride on a private ranch that concludes with a massive, Santa Maria-style BBQ and feast. A very cool event, and a great opportunity to interact between cyclists and equestrians that are active in the community.

If you want to see a PDF of their registration form, Go Here or just check out RamonaTrails.org and surf around. Their site isn't updated very often (the mark of a grassroots org, I say), but the Flyer is in there ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    If you're in the San Diego area, you may have heard of the Ramona Trails Association: a multiuse trail access organization that's primarily equestrian and based out of the Ramona area. They've been very supportive of our multiuse-bicycle access efforts in San Diego proper and active for more than a decade to secure and preserve multiuse trails in the Ramona area.

These people are the "good guys" and they walk their talk on multiuse: their annual fete is a multiuse Poker Ride on a private ranch that concludes with a massive, Santa Maria-style BBQ and feast. A very cool event, and a great opportunity to interact between cyclists and equestrians that are active in the community.

If you want to see a PDF of their registration form, Go Here or just check out RamonaTrails.org and surf around. Their site isn't updated very often (the mark of a grassroots org, I say), but the Flyer is in there ...
    Can you tell us anything about the trails, the length of the rides, and do very many people show up?

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Can you tell us anything about the trails, the length of the rides, and do very many people show up?
    Yes, although the bike route won't be certain until this Saturday. The RTA have asked me to come out when they do a final on the routes, so I'll bring the GPS with me to get some mapping and numbers on the whole deal.

The rides/hike take place on a private, working cattle ranch, so most of the trails are what we'd think of as fire roads through hilly back country. There are some singletracks that get tacked onto the MTB route for an "optional extension", but I didn't get to ride them last year since my trailer was too wide and I'd worked myself pretty hard dragging the beast up one grinder climb in particular.

The trails meander in and out of oak groves, sometimes in good shade, sometimes exposed to sun, and will go in and out of areas with cattle, so everyone will ride by and see cows and maybe even a few mellow bulls. There are a couple hills that will work the casual rider or kids, but they're short enough that walking them isn't bad.

There are multiple rest stops/Poker stations, with water at all and snacks at some.

Lat year, there were about 80 horses, 15 hikers and 17 mtb's. More than half of the MTB's were there for our first time, so I expect more this year since we thought the event was really cool. The interactions on trail are super friendly. The after-party is like a banquet on a big, partly shaded lawn area with Santa Maria style BBQ (tri-tip, chicken, chili, grilled bread, salad) and drinks while they give out schwag based on the Poker Hands. It was beyond all-you-can-eat, and this is from a guy that towed a 50lb trailer for ten miles of rolling hills.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Cancelled

I just got news that the effect of this last weekend's hard rain, plus the certainty of more, on the private ranch (parts of which burned) where the RTA Poker Ride would be held are "too much". The RTA have cancelled this event, and there is no rescheduled date as of right now. If you pre-registered, contact them, directly.

Like PQ, the ranch is apparently a mudbog with large areas of runoff silt.