Thread: RR: Mt Waterman

Over the Hill

RR: Mt Waterman

Finally got my elevation fix and climbed Mt. Waterman today. It is not a very long ride, 3.5 miles, to the summit (8043ft), with a 1400 ft. climb. But in my opinion it is the prettiest trail in the San Gabriel’s.

I parked at the Buckhorn Station turnout and used the singletrack up and back. You can make it a loop by using the ski resort service roads. Ran into snow about ½ mile from the summit. It was only a few inches deep and was very easy to ride on. I saw no evidence of other bicycle tire marks on the trail until I got to the snow then one set. I am amazed that this trail sees so little bike traffic. The views are epic and the trees, pine, fir, and cedar, are the biggest and the healthiest in the area.

Picture is the northwest face of Mt. Baldy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Finally got my elevation fix and climbed Mt. Waterman today. It is not a very long ride, 3.5 miles, to the summit (8043ft), with a 1400 ft. climb. But in my opinion it is the prettiest trail in the San Gabriel’s.

I parked at the Buckhorn Station turnout and used the singletrack up and back. You can make it a loop by using the ski resort service roads. Ran into snow about ½ mile from the summit. It was only a few inches deep and was very easy to ride on. I saw no evidence of other bicycle tire marks on the trail until I got to the snow then one set. I am amazed that this trail sees so little bike traffic. The views are epic and the trees, pine, fir, and cedar, are the biggest and the healthiest in the area.

Picture is the northwest face of Mt. Baldy.
    Nice pictures and write up Dean!!!

mtbr member
    I love that ride.
    Your comments are right on point. Even the drive is beautiful.
    I'm amazed I never see anyone else riding up there.
    I've done both the ST out and back and the fireroad loop- I prefer the fireroad because I like to stop by the jumps at lodge area.

Imagine if the lift was running and there were more trails......

Over the Hill
    My problem is I keep eyeing the Pacific Crest Trail in that area. There was absolutely one one around today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    My problem is I keep eyeing the Pacific Crest Trail in that area. There was absolutely one one around today.
    haha! I know what you mean. I've hiked some of the PCT in that area... what a waste of trail, you know?

if only...

120 pounds of xc sex!

?

Sounds good. directions?
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    Sounds good. directions?
    http://www.ronbigelow.com/Outings/Tr...n/waterman.htm

mtbr member
    May 2005

Waterman

Echo the comments from all. Buddy and I rode it on Friday instead of attending the company Holiday party. Frequent it often, but rarely see any bikers...which is fine in my book...similiar to Condor in that regard. Afterwards we rode Chilao and dropped into Charlton to pickup the other car. Moving to NorCal soon and will miss the San Gabs as they are the my first frontier into mtb...but at least I can visit.

Glad to Be Alive
    man that is purrrr-tee
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Cheezy Rider
    Very nice, I'm heading down to SoCal for Xmas, would love to check that out, but it's probably too far out of my way had some great times skiing at Waterman.

Just another Homer

I have yet

to ride that short section. I will put it high on my list. I've seen the trail but we elected to ride something else that day. For beauty I find the Upper Winter Creek trail to be absolutely gorgeous. More of a rainforest appearence with some real nice ferns and moss.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith