mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Route/trail advise for the rincon beach/Ventura area

Looks like I will be spending 10 days or so out on the west coast visiting some relatives and I'm trying to decide which bike to bring (road/mtb). My aunt has a house at rincon beach that we will be staying at most of the time. I would prefer something I could ride to just because we will only have 1 car and I don't feel like leaving the wife stranded while I go adventuring. I will be riding a SS rigid 29er so nothing too chunky. Don't mind climbing or fireroads but would like to ride some socal single track while I'm out there. I should be there late spring/ early summer.

Thanks in advance
    Brian

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Also need suggestions for a good shop close by.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The only dirt riding that can easily be reached by bike from Rincon Beach would be at the Carpinteria Bluffs (Thunderbowl) by pedaling up the highway to Bates Rd. Follow Bates Rd. up to hwy 150, 150 back toward the coast and you can ride in the dirt area there. Not much there to speak of, riding-wise, though.

Your closest ride would be the short drive to Romero Canyon. It's a former paved road that has been close for decades to most vehicle traffic and is all dirt and climbs up to the ridge, with an option for some local chunk by going down the trail that follows the creek bed. Other options would be driving 20 minutes or so into Santa Barbara and ride some of the front side trails there.

The other option is to surf at one of the best surf spots on the west coast right out your back door .

As far as shops go, your best bet is to go into Santa Barbara. Hazard's, Velo-Pro, and Bicycle Bob's are your best bets for shops here. They should all be able to give you other suggestions on other trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cool. I appreciate it. Might just be a road bike
    kind of week. And hell, maybe I'll take up surfing. Can you learn to surf in a week? :d

mtbr member
    Or you could access Ojai riding via the Ventura to Ojai bike path. Sulphur Mountain is just a fire road but you get views, friendly cows, and crude oil. I've also seen a greater abundance of wildlife on Sulphur Mountain-- bobcats, deer, porcupines, foxes, racoons, skunks, and a bear (!)-- than anywhere else locally. Other trails in the Ojai area include Gridley (singletrack) and Rancho El Nido Preserve. This website has the maps.
    Never give up, never surrender.