Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    I'm such a fox
    Reputation: endoMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    244

    Rosarito to Ensenada, anyone?

    Will anyone be doing this ride this year? It's scheduled for April 30th, I'm thinking of throwing some slicks on the Enduro and giving it a go.

    www.rosaritoensenada.com

    Agustin

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55
    looks like a fun ride. i'm planning on driving early the day of the ride,
    park in rosarito and taking the shuttle back to the car. if anyone has
    done the ride, is this possible or should i rent a room in rosarito?
    i'll be on my mtbike too.

  3. #3
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267

    tips

    you can park in Rosa, but go early. 10,000 riders on the main road at 9 or 10 am kinda clogs things up

    the Rosarito Beach Hotel is nice, and is also the start line. You don't need a hotel, but we usually stay over Fri. and Sat. nights so we're not rushed. Reserve early and split the room to keep it cheap.

    and stay alert for the first 5 miles! Thousands of riders, some trying out their Wal-Mart bike for the first time make for sketchy riding. We've seen lots of wrecks right out of the gate. Ambulances, the works. And fill your pockets with hard candy for the kiddies. Its like Halloween on the roadside with all the local kids scrambling for tossed candy.

    the shuttle back works out ok too if you don't have a ride. Last years shuttle was a party on wheels, after we convinced the driver to stop for beer and tequila in Ensenada. Ole!


    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    looks like a fun ride. i'm planning on driving early the day of the ride,
    park in rosarito and taking the shuttle back to the car. if anyone has
    done the ride, is this possible or should i rent a room in rosarito?
    i'll be on my mtbike too.

  4. #4
    I'm such a fox
    Reputation: endoMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    looks like a fun ride. i'm planning on driving early the day of the ride,
    park in rosarito and taking the shuttle back to the car. if anyone has
    done the ride, is this possible or should i rent a room in rosarito?
    i'll be on my mtbike too.
    That's the same exact plan I had, I figured I'd just drive back the same day.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,058

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    It's also cool to do if you can get someone to pick you up in Ensenada. I've done that a few times, though it was some years ago. Never stayed over after a ride, but there are some nice hotels.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33
    I've done it a couple of times, it's a great ride. The first few miles are pretty slow, and you've got to really watch out for other riders. It's a good time to take in the scenery along the coast, which is spectacular. Make sure to do some hill climb training; there's a killer one in the first-half of the ride.

    Take some hard candy to toss to the kids along the way

    -Mike

  7. #7
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267

    el tigre

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Bike Mike
    Make sure to do some hill climb training; there's a killer one in the first-half of the ride.
    if you're riding a geared mtb and have any level of fitness, the "el tigre" climb will be no problemo. I'm always amazed at how many people get off and walk their bike up the 2 mile grade. 2 yrs ago I did the ride on a singlespeed Schwinn beach cruiser, so I think you'll be fine

    Oh yeah - after the big climb, look for the restaurant/rest stop on your right down the road aways. Homemade tamales and cold beer!

    take your time and make a party out of it. Forget trying to race to Ensenada, leave that to the team geeks up front.

    (yes, I wore the sombrero the whole ride too )
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by endoMaster
    That's the same exact plan I had, I figured I'd just drive back the same day.
    We might not be the only ones with this plan. I suspect it will be one
    long traffic jam coming back. I might have an open spot for carpooling
    if you are on your own eM. I won't know until mid-March.

  9. #9
    I'm such a fox
    Reputation: endoMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    We might not be the only ones with this plan. I suspect it will be one
    long traffic jam coming back. I might have an open spot for carpooling
    if you are on your own eM. I won't know until mid-March.

    I can picture the lines of cars waiting to cross the border. On that note I might take you up on that offer if it's still available in March. I might also convince(brainwash) one of my couch riding buddies to come along so I also won't know until then. Either way I will be there.

  10. #10
    ever forward
    Reputation: arturo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    195

    Good Times

    The first year we rode it we were all gung-ho and tried to finish in a hurry. Subsequent years we rode geared mtb's and made it a point to stop at every beer/taco stand along the way.
    Never confuse effort with results

  11. #11
    Village Dirtbag
    Reputation: @dam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,274
    Last time I went down there (4th of July weekend) it took about 3-4 hours to get back across the border! Is it always that bad? I'd like to go back down there sometime (maybe for the ride, maybe just for kicks), but not if the traffic is half that bad.

    Hey- isn't this ride the same weekend as 24 hours @ Idylwild?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by arturo7
    The first year we rode it we were all gung-ho and tried to finish in a hurry. Subsequent years we rode geared mtb's and made it a point to stop at every beer/taco stand along the way.
    I'm not going to stop at every beer/taco stand if I still have to fight the 4-hr traffic
    and border crossing on the way back as @dam mentioned. At some point,
    its got to come out and idling in gridlock is probably the ideal time.

  13. #13
    I'm such a fox
    Reputation: endoMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Last time I went down there (4th of July weekend) it took about 3-4 hours to get back across the border! Is it always that bad? I'd like to go back down there sometime (maybe for the ride, maybe just for kicks), but not if the traffic is half that bad.

    Hey- isn't this ride the same weekend as 24 hours @ Idylwild?
    I dont think it'll be so bad as that. For some reason lots of people from Socal celebrate American holidays in Mexico and that leads to major wait times to cross the border. I think that crossing back after the ride will probably be about the same as a regular weekend. The reason being that although there is an event occuring, it won't the draw the same amount of people as the 4th of July does.

  14. #14
    ever forward
    Reputation: arturo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    I'm not going to stop at every beer/taco stand if I still have to fight the 4-hr traffic
    and border crossing on the way back as @dam mentioned. At some point,
    its got to come out and idling in gridlock is probably the ideal time.
    If you're driving back that day it's probably not a god idea. We always stayed the weekend.
    Never confuse effort with results

  15. #15
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    if you're riding a geared mtb and have any level of fitness, the "el tigre" climb will be no problemo. I'm always amazed at how many people get off and walk their bike up the 2 mile grade. 2 yrs ago I did the ride on a singlespeed Schwinn beach cruiser, so I think you'll be fine

    Oh yeah - after the big climb, look for the restaurant/rest stop on your right down the road aways. Homemade tamales and cold beer!

    take your time and make a party out of it. Forget trying to race to Ensenada, leave that to the team geeks up front.

    (yes, I wore the sombrero the whole ride too )
    nice pic
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by endoMaster
    I can picture the lines of cars waiting to cross the border. On that note I might take you up on that offer if it's still available in March. I might also convince(brainwash) one of my couch riding buddies to come along so I also won't know until then. Either way I will be there.
    eM - My housemate and I are going for sure. I may have a possible 3rd.
    Let you know what the final count is when I hear back from him to arrange
    the carpooling situation.

  17. #17
    I'm such a fox
    Reputation: endoMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    eM - My housemate and I are going for sure. I may have a possible 3rd.
    Let you know what the final count is when I hear back from him to arrange
    the carpooling situation.
    Thanks for the update. I have one definite and two maybes' so far. We have decided to take one of the shuttles from San Diego instead. It doesnt sound like a bad deal, they transport you and your bike to the starting line and then pick you up at the finish line and bring you back to Sandy Eggo.

  18. #18
    Just another Homer
    Reputation: Pain Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    741

    First year for me

    I'm tired of hearing from a lot of my friends about what a great time they've had with this ride.I'm problay going to ride my road bike to take it easy.We have a group going.Hollywood are you going again?
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by endoMaster
    Thanks for the update. I have one definite and two maybes' so far. We have decided to take one of the shuttles from San Diego instead. It doesnt sound like a bad deal, they transport you and your bike to the starting line and then pick you up at the finish line and bring you back to Sandy Eggo.
    That sounds like a good plan. Whats the cost on the round-trip shuttle per person?
    You have any details on bike transport? They round up our bikes and throw them in
    the back or they individually secured? It would be nice to know how they are going
    to handle our rides.

  20. #20
    I'm such a fox
    Reputation: endoMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    That sounds like a good plan. Whats the cost on the round-trip shuttle per person?
    You have any details on bike transport? They round up our bikes and throw them in
    the back or they individually secured? It would be nice to know how they are going
    to handle our rides.
    Here is the link for the bus service, I got it from the event website,

    http://www.geocities.com/bikeshuttle/indexcopy.html

    THe cost is $69 per person, they mention they have racks to keep the bikes from getting scratched up.


    Agustin

  21. #21
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267
    dunno...I could always be talked into it I try to mix it up a bit every year. Last year was the fixie, year before that the cruiser...what's next? Unicycle? It's been done...

    definitely make a party out of it. Take your time, stop for a tamale. Some spectators were having a tailgate party on the side of the road offering margaritas to anyone who stopped. Me and Trevor both pulled over for a cold one. Another guy handed me a beer after I commented on how good his looked. This was as we were both riding down the road. Little things like that keep it really cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    Hollywood are you going again?

  22. #22
    Giant Anthem Rider
    Reputation: Mtbric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    195

    I'll be returning for this ride.

    I haven't been down for a couple of years, but I've done the ride quite a few times since 1996.

    The way to do it is to make a weekend of it. We arrive Friday night in Rosarito so we don't have to drive at all on Saturday morning. Then we'll have someone who's not doing the ride drive a pickup car to Ensenada for our ride back to Rosarito. If they leave just after the start of the ride we usually meet about the same time at finish line. If we don't have a ride back there are always other options like shuttles or taxi vans. Both could be had for a reasonable amount especially if you can strike a deal. After returning to Rosarito we crash for a couple of hours then go party. Rosarito is much more fun than Ensenada.

    As for the ride itself ...we try to have fun with it as many do. I don't go as far as wearing any costumes like I have seen, but I've installed a music system on my bike. I mount portable Sony battery powered speakers on an aluminum baggage rack that mounts to the seatpost. The output came from a tape player at first then from a mp3 player. It add about 10lbs, but the Specialized FatBoy slick tires make up for it. It's a surprisingly loud system especially on the climbs that run the sides of the mountains. I'll play all kinds of party music and spinning type of music. I can't tell you how many people thank me ...although I have heard riders shout out requests.

    You do have to be carefull. A lot of the accidents are in the beginning when the street is so crowded you have to walk your bike for quite a while unless you're in the very front. Another risk is merging riders starting far down the road far beyond the start. The problem with that is these riders stay the weekend in resorts, condos, and hotels that line the road south of the start line. In fact a couple of times while starting at the very front, at the ribbon, I rode out to see bikes as far as I could see in front of me. The new idea of advanced starts will relieve SOME congestion .. but is not worth it just for this reason.

    I can't wait ...hope it doesn't rain. Yes, I've done it in the rain. Have fun!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Member pictures
    By ernesto_from_Wisconsin in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM
  2. Rosarito to Ensenada
    By steamboatsig in forum Specialized
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •