Thread: Rosamond?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Rosamond?

Moving to Rosamond area soon. Anyone got XC/SS trail suggestions for the area? About 90 miles N. of LA. I am not a desert guy, but am intrigued by the idea of year round pedaling. I will be ditching most of my winter gear and buying more baggies. May even drag out the road bike more than twice a year now.
    Kinda worried about my dog (Siberian Husky) but thats another story for another board...

mtbr member
    gets cold and windy in the hi desert. there are some guys from the a.f. base on this board, and some from landscatter too, i'm sure they'll help you out.

mtbr member

Do you have a choice?

Quote Originally Posted by JAL67
    Moving to Rosamond area soon. Anyone got XC/SS trail suggestions for the area? About 90 miles N. of LA. I am not a desert guy, but am intrigued by the idea of year round pedaling. I will be ditching most of my winter gear and buying more baggies. May even drag out the road bike more than twice a year now.
    Kinda worried about my dog (Siberian Husky) but thats another story for another board...
    I'm intrigued too, but not doing it in Rosamond. Winter - Rosamond is in the High Desert, some snow in the winter. Road riding - when the wind dies down. It's no accident that there's a wind farm a few miles away in Mojave. At least you've got a head start on me for trips to Devil's Punchbowl, Kernville, or Owens Valley.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Someone suggested to me Auga Dulce trail. I have never ridden it, but see the mountains on the way to the track, Willow Springs. Check it out.

Will

mtbr member
    Preferred Cyclist Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm one of those "Landscatter" guys and the land does scatter up here every time the wind blows over 25mph which is about every day. We call this "graduation weather" because the wind tends to calm down a bit after high school graduations in June. But there are worse places to live; like Trona!

There are some great places to ride up here or within 40-50 miles. There are moto and ATV trails all over including a bunch in the hills north of Rosamond. The San Gabriels have the Punchbowl, Burkhardt and Manzanita trails. Wrightwood has Blue Ridge, Acorn and several others with no names that I'm aware of. Mt. Pinos is pretty close with the McGill trail and there are great rides in the foothills towards Lake Hughes and south and west of Palmdale. When you get here, pm me and I'll show you around.

Do not get rid of your cold weather gear however. Every season except summer can get really cold around here and the mountains get well below freezing with no hint of snow on the ground. Even with a little snow, the riding is still great on all the higher trails.

Although somewhat maligned by those who reside "down below" the Antelope Valley has some great trails and even has about 5 Starbucks's and a super Wal Mart! Gil's Bike Shop in Lancaster is the best LBS IMHO. Let me know when you arrive and want to go on a ride.