mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Romero in Santa Barbara

Has anyone ridden Romero in the last few weeks? What is the condition? When I rode it last year they had just plowed it and every inch was a loose fire road.

Thanks!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I haven't ridden Romero since our rain onslaught last month, so I expect that it's been significantly reconfigured with all of the rain. Should be a lot more fun than it was the last time you rode it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ok, what about this area? Have you ridden this? West Camino Cielo to Santa Ynez Peak. I hear it is about 22 miles an out and back

Thanks,

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I haven't ridden W. Camino Cielo in a long time. It's a dirt road that should nicely packed right now. I have a buddy that was going to start a Cold Springs Tavern, ride across W. Camino Cielo, and drop Tequepis trail down to 154 and back to Cold Springs Tavern. I'll try and find out how that worked out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ok, I hope to be up there next weekend to check out some rides for our club. Getting tired of our rides here in the Valley and TO. I thought Cold Springs was a DH trail that is extremly techy like Tunel? We are mostly XC riders, so that would be too gnarly for most of us.

Let me know, thanks soooo much!

Professional Troll
    Yep, CS is a technical DH run, very similar to tunnel. Little bit more flow though. Less uphills, but flatter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ok, that is what I thought on Cold Springs, thanks a bunch, I will stay away from that trail then, appreciate it!

mtbr member
    I hit West Camino-

Dry trail in the sun, mud puddles in the shade (of course!).

Basic fun ride, weather was perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdivachick
    ok, I hope to be up there next weekend to check out some rides for our club. Getting tired of our rides here in the Valley and TO. I thought Cold Springs was a DH trail that is extremly techy like Tunel? We are mostly XC riders, so that would be too gnarly for most of us.

Let me know, thanks soooo much!
    West Camino will be a perfect XC type ride.

It is very "smooth" as MTB'ing goes, and the climbs are not very steep at all going out, and you can just crank it and fly up the mellow grades, there are eneough ups/downs to keep it interesting, and you can have a good time hauling ass on the climbs.

Coming home, the last hill you have to hit (the first descent on the way out) will have you cranking pretty good in a chimpy gear but it is short and it finishes right were you park, so it is just the last gasp before it's all over.

Backcountry is GORGEOUS right now here in SB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Winchester Gun Club to SY Peak is ~17 miles round trip I believe. We always make a point of climbing up the little bit of paved road to the actual peak (where all the antennas are) so we can check the views from the summit. It's driveable, so you will sometimes see cars up there. I've never had any problem with anyone driving up there though. The good thing there is if you wanted to shorten the trip and/or not have to do the last ~1 mile climb out to the car, you can drive in and park anywhere there's a turnout.

Here's from November, though this is actually the top of Broadcast Peak, which is the first one you get to w/ antennas on top.

EDIT - oh yeah, this weekend is supposed to be rainy, it'd be rideable, but miserable. That ride, since it pretty much follows the ridgeline, can get really windy and cold. I've had conditions anywhere from 105 degrees to rime ice on the bushes at 1 in the afternoon on a sunny day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I got to make a trip out there again, looks nice