mtbr member

Romero Canyon Route?

Headed to the Santa Barbara area this weekend for a wedding. Planning to ride Friday and Saturday morning.

Will probably do Little Pine one of those days, which I've done before. Not sure if there are access issues currently due to the government shutdown. Anyone know?

Would like to ride Romero Canyon, but I've never been there before. What is the typical route? Up the fireroad to the first trail crossing, and then down the singletrack? Or do most folks continue on to ride the upper portion of the Romero Trail?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I usually go all the way to the top via Romero FR, head left on camino cielo and take the singletrack down to the fire road ( i don't know what the name is for that singletrack, i just call it upper romero, it's super fun with some techy bits)loop back to camino cielo, head right and ride paradise island down to the romero trailhead. if you just do the romero singletrack it will be a pretty quick ride, imo.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    I usually go all the way to the top via Romero FR, head left on camino cielo and take the singletrack down to the fire road ( i don't know what the name is for that singletrack, i just call it upper romero, it's super fun with some techy bits)loop back to camino cielo, head right and ride paradise island down to the romero trailhead. if you just do the romero singletrack it will be a pretty quick ride, imo.
    Thanks! After exploring some routes on Strava, it looks like that singletrack is known as "Witchblair", and many people seem to ride it as an out-and-back instead of looping it with Camino Cielo.

Example: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Romero near Montecito | Times and Records | Strava

Would you recommend this for a mere mortal, or best to stick with riding it as a loop with Camino Cielo? Is Paradise Island to Romero pretty staightforward to follow?

Thanks again for the info.

mtbr member
    Witch Blair, cool, thanks for the name! I don't see why you couldn't ride up it, it's not steep at all. FYI, I meant to say fantasy island, not paradise island, and it's pretty straight forward and is the trail that dumps out right across from the Romero st so you won't have any problems. Have fun!
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    I did this ride last time I was visiting friends in SB. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Ass handed to me, thanks SB folks near Santa Barbara | Times and Records | Strava

It was a killer ride, but a little more than a quick loop. Ysidro gets pretty technical towards the bottom.