29er for the Soul

Rogers Road - down and back - steepness compared to Cheseboro trails?

Hi,

I am considering trying Rogers Road down and then back up. I would start at dirt Mulholand near Santa Maria Road and ride that to the Hub and then pick up Rogers Road and take it down.

A week ago, I rode the following route which I want to use as a comparison. We entered Palo Comado trail at the Doubletree connector.
    Rode Palo Comado south and then up and down Modelo
    North on Sulphur springs to Pumphouse and then up Pumphouse and down into Las Virgeness Canyon and picked up the main trail in Ahmanson Ranch up to the Victory Trailhead. Then we just went back the same way. Total mileage was 16 miles.

I have to mention that this route was exhausting for me.

So, with all the climbing on the combination of the trails that I just mentioned, how does Rogers Road ascent compare to these? My main concern is the climb out on Rogers Road.

Thanks
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    There's quite a bit of climbing on that particular Cheseboro route. I would guess that you'll find the climb back up Rogers Road a bit easier in comparison. It's approximately 1,350 feet of elevation gain over six miles. There is one half-mile section about 2/3rds of the way up where the grade exceeds 20% in spots, but overall the grade averages around 5%.

As an option you can take the east exit out of Will Rogers SP (Gate House Road) down to Sunset Blvd, go left and climb Sunset a short distance up to Amalfi, go left onto Amalfi and take it up to the Sullivan Ridge trailhead, then climb up Sullivan Ridge to Dirt Mulholland.

b a n n e d
    I think climbing WR-Backbone would suck. I would agree with Jim's route (and I've done it many times) that exiting the park, riding down sunset (there is sidewalk) to Amalfi and riding up Sullivan Ridge is better. Going that way you could then hit squirrel cage and take the canyon back up to Mulholland. This loop back to the hub would be a touch more than 20 miles.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

29er for the Soul
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I think climbing WR-Backbone would suck. I would agree with Jim's route (and I've done it many times) that exiting the park, riding down sunset (there is sidewalk) to Amalfi and riding up Sullivan Ridge is better. Going that way you could then hit squirrel cage and take the canyon back up to Mulholland. This loop back to the hub would be a touch more than 20 miles.
    Thank you.

I am still learning the unofficial names of all the trails. What's Squirrel Cage?

I noticed on a topo map of Rogers that it does go mostly downward, but there are some uphill sections. Any idea what the total uphill mileage would be out of the 20 mile loop that was described?

Cheers
    So Cal Rod

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by teachndad View Post
    Thank you.

I am still learning the unofficial names of all the trails. What's Squirrel Cage?

I noticed on a topo map of Rogers that it does go mostly downward, but there are some uphill sections. Any idea what the total uphill mileage would be out of the 20 mile loop that was described?

Cheers
    Squirrel Cage is a short (but fun) little connector that goes from Sullivan Ridge down into the Canyon.

To get from Sunset and Amalfi all the way up to Mulholland is around 7 miles or so, maybe a touch less.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Any idea what the total uphill mileage would be out of the 20 mile loop that was described?
    I did a version of this very ride this past Saturday. I parked on Latimer near Rustic Canyon Park, rode up Amalfi to Sullivan Ridge to Squirrel Cage to Sullivan Canyon to Mulholland to Farmer's Ridge and Bent Arrow sections 1 & 2, back on Mulholland / FR 30 to The Hub, then finished off down Will Rogers Backbone and a little shortcut back to where I parked. I like to finish off on a downhill, so that's why I parked where I did. The whole route is 23 miles with 3,365 feet of elevation gain. Here are links to my tracks from Strava and Garmin Connect. You can switch the maps to satellite, zoom in and see where all the major turns are.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 23miles near Santa Monica | Times and Records | Strava

Rustic Loop by lamtb65 at Garmin Connect - Details

It's a great route and all the trails are in excellent shape right now. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    I did a version of this very ride this past Saturday. I parked on Latimer near Rustic Canyon Park, rode up Amalfi to Sullivan Ridge to Squirrel Cage to Sullivan Canyon to Mulholland to Farmer's Ridge and Bent Arrow sections 1 & 2, back on Mulholland / FR 30 to The Hub, then finished off down Will Rogers Backbone and a little shortcut back to where I parked. I like to finish off on a downhill, so that's why I parked where I did. The whole route is 23 miles with 3,365 feet of elevation gain. Here are links to my tracks from Strava and Garmin Connect. You can switch the maps to satellite, zoom in and see where all the major turns are.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 23miles near Santa Monica | Times and Records | Strava

Wow! That's a really creative route! I never would have thought of starting there. I have hated doing the loop because I hate riding along Sunset - this substitutes riding on little-used roads for Sunset, a nice option!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hi,

I am considering trying Rogers Road down and then back up. I would start at dirt Mulholand near Santa Maria Road and ride that to the Hub and then pick up Rogers Road and take it down.
    Rod,

I used to go down and up Rogers Road pretty often years ago, though I turned around at the bridge. It's not that bad, though it's a pretty long slog - a lot more sustained climbing than the Palo Comado to Victory ride and there is one stretch that is pretty steep.

We should try it some time!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post

Think I might try this Saturday AM!~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    Wow! That's a really creative route! I never would have thought of starting there. I have hated doing the loop because I hate riding along Sunset - this substitutes riding on little-used roads for Sunset, a nice option!
    Yeah, it is a nice option. I prefer to ride from home in Venice, but my wife can't stand the road riding to and from the trailhead. This is our compromise.

Please note that the connection back to Latimer Road at the end of the ride is sort of hidden in the trees when viewed on the satellite map. When you descend out of the park, cross Sunset at the traffic light and go right onto the sidewalk. Ride to the very first corner (Rustic Creek Lane), turn left and immediately left again into what appears to be a private driveway but is actually a legal easement. This will lead to a gated wooden bridge that will take you over Rustic Creek and drop you onto a little cul-de-sac at the end of Latimer Road.