Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

rocky,technical stuff in san diego????

so where is the terrain that is filled with rock and is really slow and technical. ive found a little in mission trails but i guess bikes arent allowed there so that is out of the question. I love that type of stuff but I just cant seem to find much. any help would be great all

paul

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo4429
    so where is the terrain that is filled with rock and is really slow and technical. ive found a little in mission trails but i guess bikes arent allowed there so that is out of the question. I love that type of stuff but I just cant seem to find much. any help would be great all

paul
    Edit, sorry top secret stuff.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-20-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Silence and Thunder...
    what about Corral Canyon (near Lake Morena)? Bronco Peak, Sidewinder...???
    I haven't been out there for awhile...
    ...every day sends future to past...

I <3 Dirt
    MTRP does have a little of what you're looking for - North Fortuna has a short techy section and the Cowles Mtn. singletrack which drops into Santee has some techy stuff. I don't know anything about the other techy trails that are off limits to bikes though

Check out Iron Mtn. It's got some real fun chunky sections. Ellie Lane too and of course sections of Noble have some rocks...

mtbr member

Iron Mountain

Most definitely, without a doubt, Iron Mountain/Ellie Lane for technical rock chunk. Efficient up/down riding. It is located out near Poway.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    +1 Ellie Lane........ I can hardy WALK that trail....... serious chunk

mtbr member
    Nobel Canyon Has Some Good Rocky Sections.shuttle It From Pine Valley To Laguna.its About A 12 Mile Ride.there Are Two Good Rock Garden Areas About 50 To 75 Yards Long!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wow thanks all i think i will look for the stuff over by MTRP for sure and i wanna try noble and now ellie lane sounds good too
    thanks again

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Try riding Elfin Forest in North County, the initial climb "The Way Up" has some good terrian, also the loops up there provide some additional challenges. It is all rideable but requires some body english. You may also want to ride up to the top of Bernardo Mountain which is the section off of the back of North Lake Hodges. The climb is a lung buster with some small technical sections and lots of climbing. The trail is in much better shape then it was after the fires. The ride down is worth the effort up.

mtbr member
    I'd go w/ what no shirt said: Iron Mountain- The "hands down" most tech rock trail In SD.

mtbr member
    Mt. Woodson is pretty tech too.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z
    Mt. Woodson is pretty tech too.
    Woodson is a fun trail with some tight switchbacks and some rocks.

Advice to Pablo on Iron Mtn: This could be the busiest trail in SD county behind Cowles Mtn. If you go weekends I'd recommend early AM or late PM although with the heat it may be busy during those times as well.

The hikers have always been really cool as they are just surprised we actually ride such a rocky trail.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Hands down, without a doubt...the Enigma trail!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Woodson is a fun trail with some tight switchbacks and some rocks.

Advice to Pablo on Iron Mtn: This could be the busiest trail in SD county behind Cowles Mtn. If you go weekends I'd recommend early AM or late PM although with the heat it may be busy during those times as well.

The hikers have always been really cool as they are just surprised we actually ride such a rocky trail.
    i used to ride woodsan all the time. its still pretty fun, but a far cry from its old self after the fires. the high speed doubletrack that used to have water bars to luanch off are all gone, now just a loose fireroad. the woodsan singletrack part is still there, a tad worse than before.

from the thousands of posts about noble, maybe that has massive rock gardens?? it sounds super KNARLY!!

If you have to ask...
    I really enjoy Iron Mountain/Ellie Lane, and there are fun trails at Mt Woodson, too..
    Last edited by miles; 06-26-2008 at 01:13 PM.
    It's 7:09 California time

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    let me roll with ya'll since im new here in SD, PM me !
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Rock/technical in SD (but not TOO tough)

Just came back from a visit to SD and did most of the trails discussed here. My favorites for moderate-to-tough rocky/technical (best last).

5. Anderson Truck Trail - this is really just a long, long climb but erosion has turned parts of what used to be a fire road into a challenging single track in spots. Extremely fun to descend - some super fast, some tricky (at my intermediate skill level). Drop dead views along the way. Racer-boy/BMX types have set up some truly loony jumps (see photo).

4. Sycamore Canyon - found some really fun disneyesque trails in the canyon itself. There must be several parallel trails and I didn't ride them all. Your never really know where you are but you can't get lost. Cool! Great cobble rock gardens where you can conquer your fear of rolly/loose stone!

3. Noble Canyon - some of this was just too tough for me but I was able to do a lot of it. The big draw is up top it feels like the big mountains (it is over 5,000 ft.) so it makes you feel like you're tackling something really impressive. Also worth it to watch REALLY good bikers master scary stuff; it's inspiring!

2. Mission Trails - Yeah, you do have to ride some mostly flat fire roads to get there but North Fortuna was VERY challenging in places: it got me off the bike in many spots! If you want a REALLY steep hill try the fire road up between the Fortunas from the Santee side. The last two hundred yards will kick your A**. The "Wash" trail down in the valley (can't remember name exactly) is super fun. I started in Terrra Santa 2 days and at the Visitors' Center once. I'm such a Dork I stood at the river crossing for five minutes before I spotted the concrete dam across behind the trees. Duh.

1. Cowles Mountain - This terrain is exactly at my skill/fitness level. I can do the whole thing (with some second tries in spots) almost clean, but it is very difficult for me. If I had my legs from 25 years ago I'd clean it easily. The downhill is just exhilarating. I can do just about all of it but some sections scare the p*** out of me - age makes cowards of us all. You will get over your fear of 1-to-2 foot drops (there's a water bar every 100 feet!) or go home crying. Just keep your weight BACK! My favorite trail in SD so far. See photos (These are typical, not toughest sections).

How did I find all this stuff as a tourist? Easy:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com

This guy knows ALL, tells all about San Diego trails. You will not believe how helpful this site is. Go to it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ttcherrick; 07-07-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcherrick
    1. Cowles Mountain - This terrain is exactly at my skill/fitness level. I can do the whole thing (with some second tries in spots) almost clean, but it is very difficult for me. If I had my legs from 25 years ago I'd clean it easily. The downhill is just exhilarating. I can do just about all of it but some sections scare the p*** out of me - age makes cowards of us all. You will get over your fear of 1-to-2 foot drops (there's a water bar every 100 feet!) or go home crying. Just keep your weight BACK! My favorite trail in SD so far. See photos (These are typical, not toughest sections).

it!
    Cowles looks like a lot of fun
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Why aren't you riding????
    mmmmm ATT, it's been too long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I enjoy hiking up the front of cowles mtn but I have never really seen the other trails. The trail on the front side looks awesome to ride down but there are too many people walking there. What is the best trail on cowles mtn?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Cowles Mountain Singletrack

The fun singletrack on Cowles (see pics on my earlier post) starts in Santee, on the "back side" of the Mountain. The trailhead is near a grade school/park and is pretty well marked. It's actually a loop you can ride either direction. It does NOT go to the top, although you do hook up with the fire road if you want to go to the summit (STEEP!). Details on the trail are at this excellent site:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CowlesMt.htm

BTW, bikes are illegal on the front side of Cowles: hiking only.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    i rode cowles mountain today and it was pretty fun !

i HAB all the way to the top of cowles and ripped it down, very fun fast technical trail with combinations of water bars every 10 feet from top to bottom. i was suprise how fun this trail is for something thats 2 miles long, i wish it couldve been a little longer but over all it was very fun rippin it down.

people are saying that this is san diego's little noble canyon, now i cant wait to rip down noble ! that would be my next stop.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Great pics of Cowles. I absolutly love this ride. Nice work doing it almost clean. I look at those water bars and think "no way" but once you start cranking it's amazing what you can make it up. Here is another site with a map of Cowles.

WhereWeRide.com

Mountain Bike Bill has some great videos of guys cleaning the hard stuff in Noble Canyon, stairway to heaven... maybe 15 years ago when I was young strong and stupid

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by jzimmerman
    Great pics of Cowles. I absolutly love this ride. Nice work doing it almost clean. I look at those water bars and think "no way" but once you start cranking it's amazing what you can make it up. Here is another site with a map of Cowles.
    If I can make a request when you ride the back side of Cowles (did you know it's really pronounced Coals?) when you come down the ST there is no need to skid around the corners, it's front brake all the way to slow it down with minimal rear. Erosion is a big problem up there, so please learn to be a better biker and use more front brake without rear skidding.

Second this particular trail is in under the watchful eye of rangers at MTRP, so buy a bike bell from REI or a "bird bell" from a pet store and velcro / ziptie it to your bike so hikers can hear you coming and yield to them if you come upon a hiker. (this is like a cow bell, not the bells that you have to "ding" yoursefl.) They are very appreciative of the bell and we'll go a long way to fostering good relations on the city trails here in SD.

If you already do these things thank you!

Front Range, Colorado
    _
    _
    _
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-27-2008 at 03:18 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast