Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Rock-it...pay attention if you are riding up it!

Too everyone who likes to ride up trails that most people ride down, and likely ride down quite fast.....pay attention! I was going down Rock-it today quite fast as usual (as many people do) and I came around a blind corner and some rider is climbing right in my path and didn't even hear me coming. Of course he was almost surprised as I was and because of my speed neither of us had much time to react and the only thing I could do to avoid running his a$$ over was to grab way to much front brake (and rear brake) and go crashing off the side of the trail into a sharp bush that cut my leg all up. He didn't even get touched or hurt at all. I was nice to him on the trail as it was an accident and I needed him to help pull me out of the bush, but afterward was a little ticked that the incident even happened. Luckily I didn't get seriously injured, just cuts all over my leg, and it could have been a lot worse. My only point is that if you are climbing a trail that most people come flying down, you better not be listening to an iPod and you better be paying close attention! I know Rock-it isn't the only trail this happens on, so there are many other trails this will apply to. I might get a bell for my bike so the deaf can hear me coming!

P.S. The other thing that made me a bit angry is that he said "I thought I could hear something above the wind, but I wasn't sure." Next time you might want to pay a little more attention because if you heard some chain slap and rattling above the wind, it's probably because a bike is flying down the trail and is about to take you and him both out!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Although that sucks, up hill riders do have the right of way, no matter how fast you are coming down the hill. I know, I would like to see up hill riders yield to me when I am coming down fast, but you could have slowed down for a blind corner. That sounds sensible to me.

Just remember, that hardly any trails if any are designated for downhill only at Aliso, so it is your responsibility to ride in control, and look out for riders coming up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's why you gotta slow down on blind corners. I hate assclowns that listen to their MP3 players when they snowboard or bike. I think it is 50/50 in terms of fault. Rider climbing up has the right of way and you didn't slow down for a blind corner. His ass was not paying attention.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Although that sucks, up hill riders do have the right of way, no matter how fast you are coming down the hill. I know, I would like to see up hill riders yield to me when I am coming down fast, but you could have slowed down for a blind corner. That sounds sensible to me.

Just remember, that hardly any trails if any are designated for downhill only at Aliso, so it is your responsibility to ride in control, and look out for riders coming up.
    I didn't realize climbers had the right of way. That seems pretty dumb since they are usually going far slower and should be able to hear someone coming down. Maybe I need to slow down around blind corners, but then the downhill trails wouldn't be near as fun as many corners are blind! Since so many trails are blind, I feel like I'd have to go so slow it wouldn't be that fun anymore. Btw, I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to climb trails such as Rock-it, I'm just saying to get the **** out of the way if you hear someone bombing down....but apparently I'm mistaken and should yield to their slow a$$es

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomoto
    I didn't realize climbers had the right of way. That seems pretty dumb since they are usually going far slower and should be able to hear someone coming down. Maybe I need to slow down around blind corners, but then the downhill trails wouldn't be near as fun as many corners are blind! Since so many trails are blind, I feel like I'd have to go so slow it wouldn't be that fun anymore. Btw, I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to climb trails such as Rock-it, I'm just saying to get the **** out of the way if you hear someone bombing down....but apparently I'm mistaken and should yield to their slow a$$es
    It does suck, but it is the rule of thumb is that the rider going up does have the right away. Then again, it is pretty dangerous to where an iPod while riding, you cannot hear people coming. A friend off mine got into a head-on with another rider in the same spot, and had to got the hospital with a head injury. Just scrub some speed before the blind corners.

i can't type the letter s
    Yep, get a bell, it helps a great deal on the DH, esp the multi-user trails. A general rule of thumb adopted by IMBA is that uphill has the right of way. I do listen to an mp3 player occasionally as I travel uphill but when I approach a blind corner I stick close to the inside. This is a pretty good idea esp. on those trails that are frequented by DH'ers. So live and learn.
    Stay safe out there!

mtbr member
    I think this is really a common sense issue and should not be a big deal for people traveling in either direction.

When going downhill.....riders need to ride at a speed that is conducive to the trail (which the fact that it is a public multi-use and multi-directional trail plays a big part).

I don't see the particular issue from the original poster being as much an issue of Uphill vs Downhill, as an issue of riding too fast into blind turns. What if it was a trail runner, a hiker, or a family hiking up the trail? A biker hitting a runner or hiker on a trail would be completely inexcusable. Downhill speed needs to be scrubbed as needed at sections where there is a good likelihood of running into another trail user.

As far as uphill vs downhill right-of-way......it's true that the general rule of thumb (not a cast-in-stone rule) is that the uphill rider has the right-of-way.

That being said however......when I ride up trails like Rock-It, Lynx, Rattlesnake, and Old Emerald; I always ride with an ear to the trail ahead and listen for riders coming down. I give a heads up shout when I hear someone coming down if they cannot see me; and on certain trails like Lynx, Rattlesnake, and Old Emerald; I yield the right-of-way to the downhill riders since most people don't expect riders to be climbing these trails.

Just practice some common sense and common courtesies, and we can avoid a lot of these issues.

Again.......remember that bikers are not the only trail users, and many other users go up Rock-It......so always scrub your speed on the blinds.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks!

Chillin the Most
    While I agree that it s*cks you can't bomb trails top to bottom, I do believe there are enough sections on most trails that can be bombed to still make them fun. Keep in mind, that while bells help, they cannot make up for good ole fashion trail etiquette.

This is another reason why I believe Aliso NEEDS DH specific, one way, trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think everyone has made some good points and I'm sure I need to be a little more cautious around the blind corners. I have ridden Rock-it many times and RARELY have seen people climbing up which is why I was so caught off guard. Didn't help that he was riding on the outside corner...the exact line I was taking and he even initially jumped in that direction only to make matters worse. I'll be more careful and good to know that climbers have the right away. That being said, I'll never climb a trail that is primarily ridden down without being very attentive and cautious of those that will likely be bombing down. I actually think it's quite stupid not to, even if the climber has the right of way. Live and learn I guess. I'm just glad I didn't get hurt worse than a bunch of cuts on my leg!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've bombed rock-it as hard as I can, then turned around and climbed right back up it so that i could do it again. I have a bell, and use it going uphill and downhill on blind corners. That said, on a trail like that I wouldn't listen to music whether hiking or riding. It's just not safe. You have to be aware of your surroundings, not insulated from them.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

i can't type the letter s

PSA for bells...

Never rode Rock-it. Is it a multi-user trail? If it is then I would def. say get a bell. With that said, a bell doesn't give you right of way, it just makes the jarring sensation of a DH biker abruptly appearing around a corner not so jarring to the guy, horse, family, et.al. coming up. Most users kind of curiously anticipate the noise coming towards them, wondering if a herd of goats is coming down. I still pull over for other trail users going up or down even with a bell, which is also a good idea.

Of course I'm coming from SB which pretty much invented the "bike bell"; sponsored by Kona and now the Big S. But before the sponsors I bought my bell at bird shops, they are just gold "bird bells". They are a little "tingy" compared to a genuine "bike bell" but they aren't overly so IMO.

EDIT: Dug up a previous posted pic on your other thread Loco: Notice the white bell hanging off the bars. Perfect compliment to my Abe Frohman.

DCP_2014.JPG
    Last edited by mouse jockey; 03-17-2008 at 07:10 AM.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomoto
    you didn't know uphill has the right of way? where have you been, on marz? tons of people climb rocket, and also many hikers. your lucky he even helped you out of the bush, many would just of pedeled on as it was your fault. buy a clue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ah phuck, here we go! Get over it, those climbing have the right away!

Were all doomed.

"I didn't realize climbers had the right of way. That seems pretty dumb since they are usually going far slower and should be able to hear someone coming down. Maybe I need to slow down around blind corners, but then the downhill trails wouldn't be near as fun as many corners are blind! Since so many trails are blind, I feel like I'd have to go so slow it wouldn't be that fun anymore. Btw, I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to climb trails such as Rock-it, I'm just saying to get the **** out of the way if you hear someone bombing down....but apparently I'm mistaken and should yield to their slow a$$es "

Are you serious? Your writing this hot head bad ass story of bombing DH and you have yet to learn etiquette, Pull your head out your ass before you ruin it for all of us!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike00

Were all doomed.

Are you serious? Your writing this hot head bad ass story of bombing DH and you have yet to learn etiquette, Pull your head out your ass before you ruin it for all of us!
    Read the thread a little more, he has learned the error of his ways. Now he knows. You tell people how to do things with out being an A$$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Bombing downhill like you were doing out of control is the reson bike get banned from trials, and you know what, I agree with them. You have to ride under control and be able to stop at all times. If you don't have the line of sight you have to assume somone or something is around that blind corner and ride at a slow enough speed that allows you to stop.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Uphillers have the right of way, but sometimes they'll yield for the downhill rider.

If I see someone "bombing" down a trail, I feel safer about pulling off and letting them pass by. I ask "how many riders back?" (behind) him, and I let him know how many riders are behind me as well. Be courteous!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Amphibious Technologies
    I ride Aliso a lot and always climb rock-it. IMHO, it is the easiest way up and fun to boot. I see lots of hikers and riders going up it too (It gets crowded after 8AM on weekends). So be careful when going down it specially in the single track section up top and on the rocks.

Uphill riders have the right of way as it is not always as easy to change direction, get out of the way or bail when going up a steep, narrow or techy section even if you hear someone coming. It's also more difficult to get back on the bike.

Generally, if you want to bomb down rock-it or any of the multi use trails, go really early (before 7AM) to avoid climbers.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 03-17-2008 at 10:16 AM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    It seems the OP has learned. BigBadMike needs to learn how to communicate with human beings.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Good points!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Uphillers have the right of way, but sometimes they'll yield for the downhill rider.

If I see someone "bombing" down a trail, I feel safer about pulling off and letting them pass by. I ask "how many riders back?" (behind) him, and I let him know how many riders are behind me as well. Be courteous!
    I used to do some dirt bike riding. With a motor and full face helmet, you can't always hear, so you have to assume someone or something is around the corner you can't see around.

It's also good etiquette to call out or hold up fingers for how many riders there are behind you if you know.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    MJ,

Did you make it up to the land of the windstorm (SB) this weekend?

ah, hamburgers
    I am almost always yielded to when I am coming down.

Not because Im rude or out of control, but I think because either a) they dont think Im going to stop- which I do, or b) because they understand that theyre only going 3 mph and Im going much, much faster. In other words they are just being reasonable.

Likewise, when Im going uphill, I also will yield to a fast moving rider. It just seems easier and safer for both of us.

I think this is post is similar to the argument that while road bikers have a right to the road, sometimes they ride side by side like unsafe, inconvenience causing dirt-bags.

There is a difference between "right" and smart, and often they are contradictory.

In the end, we make the rules, they dont make us. I think one should do what works best for the situation regardless of any rules.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    you didn't know uphill has the right of way? where have you been, on marz? tons of people climb rocket, and also many hikers. your lucky he even helped you out of the bush, many would just of pedeled on as it was your fault. buy a clue.
    I've only really been mountain biking for about a year and a half...maybe a little more. That is probably why I didn't know dick head. Now I know and will be more careful in the future, but thanks for the retarded response

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike00

Were all doomed.

"I didn't realize climbers had the right of way. That seems pretty dumb since they are usually going far slower and should be able to hear someone coming down. Maybe I need to slow down around blind corners, but then the downhill trails wouldn't be near as fun as many corners are blind! Since so many trails are blind, I feel like I'd have to go so slow it wouldn't be that fun anymore. Btw, I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to climb trails such as Rock-it, I'm just saying to get the **** out of the way if you hear someone bombing down....but apparently I'm mistaken and should yield to their slow a$$es "

I agree that you could use a little more tact in your communication bigmike. Sorry I didn't take the mountain bike etiquette course like you apparently did, but am learning from experience. I wouldn't say my head was in my a$$, I just always got out of the way when I was climbing and others were bombing downhill so I figured others would do the same. It's not like I'm an idiot and don't know how to ride a bike, I come from a motocross racing background, I just haven't learned all the mountain biking rules/etiquette yet which comes with experience just like I'm sure yours did.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by Galamoor
    Bombing downhill like you were doing out of control is the reson bike get banned from trials, and you know what, I agree with them. You have to ride under control and be able to stop at all times. If you don't have the line of sight you have to assume somone or something is around that blind corner and ride at a slow enough speed that allows you to stop.
    First off let's do away with this misconception that just because someone is bombing downhill and cannot stop on a dime that they're somehow out of control. To say things like this only helps support the theory that MTB'rs are somehow reckless, which I doubt is the case in most instances.

However, I do agree that riders need to be more cautious when riding multi use trails, especially those like the OP described - containing blind corners and such.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5
    First off let's do away with this misconception that just because someone is bombing downhill and cannot stop on a dime that they're somehow out of control. To say things like this only helps support the theory that MTB'rs are somehow reckless, which I doubt is the case in most instances.

However, I do agree that riders need to be more cautious when riding multi use trails, especially those like the OP described - containing blind corners and such.
    I agree....I wasn't out of control, just unable to stop on a dime around a blind corner. As I've learned, according to proper etiquette I was going too fast for that particular spot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast