Thread: Roadie Rage

I <3 Dirt

Roadie Rage

Tonight I was riding with my kids in the trailer through Mission Trails on some of the fireroads and down Father Junipero Sierra Trail. I was approaching the parking lot for the Visitor Center when I see a car pulling into the lot with a guy on a bike who appears to be holding onto the driver side of the car and riding beside the car. As I got closer to the car which had stopped the roadie was yelling and scolding the driver who was probably in his early 70's and had his family in the car.

I didn't see the incident, but the roadie was yelling about how inconsiderate the driver was. The driver was trying to apologize, but the roadie continued yelling and went into a long diatribe about sharing the road with bikes. The guy made riders look like absolute a-holes and I'm sure the family inside was frightened and concerned that this guy and his friend would start bashing their car or their grandpa's head in.

If that guy had done this to me while I had my wife and kids in the car he would have found my car door in his spokes. I'm very considerate of riders on the road, but this guy's actions were outrageous. People already have a low opinion of roadies and stuff like this sure isn't helping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You only saw half of the incident.....

It sounds like the roadie went overboard a bit, but I've been in a few road ride situations that can make your blood boil!

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    You only saw half of the incident.....
    That's why I didn't get in the guy's face and tell him to calm down. Doesn't seem like hanging onto the side of someone's vehicle so that you can berate them is ever a great idea.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    One of the most flagrant aggressive and obviously intentional moves ever committed against me on my bike was a move made by an elderly man, probably in his 70s. He didn't have any family with him, but if he had it would have done nothing to temper my outrage and reaction. Since you didn't see the incident I think your post is jumping the gun big-time.

mtbr member
    It was a 72-year old driver that pulled into the street and punted my brother across two lanes of active traffic. I wanted to go to his house, drag him into the street and "berate" him, so I understand that the roadie might have been upset.

On the other hand, the point is well made that it looked like it was way over the top in this case. Lucky for the cyclist that grandpa didn't decide to perform a brake check or know that roadies are even below goaters on the caste scale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but on second thought, here goes.

I agree with the original poster. What tips the scale for me is that the driver was trying to apologize. I have found over the years that the "road rage" response is never helpful, and in a case where someone else acknowledges a mistake and apologizes, taking and keeping the high ground is a far better way to make a positive lasting impression. Likewise, if a motorist does something deliberately dangerous, maintaining one's cool is far better if the police get involved.

I <3 Dirt
    What I failed to mention is that the rider had a companion (obvious by the matching jerseys/shorts). The companion was probably 50' away and was not engaged in the argument. He looked rather embarassed by the whole situation judging by his body language and the look on his face. It seems that if the event was so awful both guys would be laying into the driver.

mtbr member
    Taking the time to yell at driver is usually pointless, They'll apologize, smile, and probably throw a few FU's when you leave. Their driving won't change. But I understand the rider. It seems to me that overall driving skill and ability is always in decline around here. The rider may have experienced more than a few inconsiderate drivers and finally blew up. Last month I was stopped by an elderly man that swore bikes belong on the sidewalk, the road was meant for cars.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    You guys are all wussies who are too willing to give up your constitutional right to travel. He clearly should have set fire to the drivers car and then lit up his post-ride cigar in the flames. Then beat the snot out of his buddy for being a puss.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    You guys are all wussies who are too willing to give up your constitutional right to travel. He clearly should have set fire to the drivers car and then lit up his post-ride cigar in the flames. Then beat the snot out of his buddy for being a puss.
    Are you kidding? I'm no wuss. I'm constantly beating up goaters who jack up my flow. Just today I caught a goater tagging my car, so I quickly started the beatdown and he got me in the neck with a shiv he made from a tire lever. Friggin goaters are fast.

Geritol Power
    Thanks meals, I haven't seen anything worth using for my signature for a couple of days

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dolor
    Never try to beatdown a goater. They should be shot, and shot on sight, especially in parking lots.

They're beasts, stupid, brutish, beasts. Thank God Mr. Colt gave us all a way to even the playing field.

No mercy to goaters!
    LOL.

Real goaters don't drive to trailheads. This guy was a poser, so I popped a cap in the rear tire of his Subaru and threw my bike into the back of my lifted F-350. Pulling over at Dunbar, I quickly removed the Skin decal from my front windshield and pulled the "nutz" from my hitch to avoid identification although in east county leaving the acessories on my truck my have been the best disguise.

Since the event I've avoided trendy shops that goaters frequent such as Starbucks, Panera Bread Company, Whole Foods and Sushi on the Rock while patronizing DH friendly stores such as KFC, Tyler's Taste of Texas, Wal-Mart, and Hiram's Gun and Liquor.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Thanks meals, I haven't seen anything worth using for my signature for a couple of days
    I'm honored!

How's Sweetwater right now?

Geritol Power
    Dang it meals, I'm not changing my sig again today even it there's some classic stuff in that last post. Truk-nutz

And that crack about driving to the trailhead hurts me...my bike tires don't like asphalt.

The reserve is looking good. Flowers and bugs just like I like it.

I think I'm gonna ride some demo Treks and Gary Fishers tomorrow!

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Dang it meals, I'm not changing my sig again today even it there's some classic stuff in that last post. Truk-nutz

And that crack about driving to the trailhead hurts me...my bike tires don't like asphalt.

The reserve is looking good. Flowers and bugs just like I like it.

I think I'm gonna ride some demo Treks and Gary Fishers tomorrow!
    Truk-nutz - that's hilarious that you know the correct term. How was the demo? I'll have to check out the reserve soon.

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    Truk-nutz - that's hilarious that you know the correct term.
    I'm a country boy livin in Jamul

How was the demo?
    Informative. I found that 29" wheels are ok but not a huge plus factor for me. Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29 is a pretty dang good ride and value for the $2,700 price tag. It climbs very well. I could actually ride this thing really fast at Mission Trails but I'm still not convinced that I need 29" wheels at the expense of medium/long travel suspension. 650b (27.5") wheels will be on my next bike.

I have no frigging idea how anyone can ride a Superfly (29" carbon fiber hardtail racer) on So.Cal single track and not go into the weeds in every rough turn. Light as a feather, and completely uncontrolable for an old fart like me. No way I could go fast on that bike unless it's on pavement.

I'll have to check out the reserve soon.
    Go tomorrow morning to the Sweetwater park (whatever it's called) in Bonita/Sunnyside 9:30 AM and demo some new bikes. It's interesting and the girls that handle sign up will give you a doughnut and a bagel too

I <3 Dirt
    Glad you were able to check out a 29er before throwing down money only to find out it isn't for you. I had church Sunday morning, so I couldn't make the demo but I'm happy with the bike I have for now. I do want to get back out on the singletrack by you.