mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Rim Nordic Begins... June 22

Who's going? I haven't raced here before so I am looking for any info. Whats the temp. going to be like? Elevation? Climbs? Anything riders should know?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I race the sport class and it's one of the best races in Southern California. and because it's a great race you get a lot of strong riders (especially on the State race in late July). they change the course a bit every race, but good times for a lap are around 45 min

The altitude is about 7000 with an elevation gain of 1400 in 8mi. Pro/experts run 3 laps and sport run 2 with beginners doing 1. Since it's at a higher elevation it can be dry and hot out there so hydrate wll before the race (and you can have a thunderstorm like in 2006)

Course is a lot of singltrack with some fireroad in the middle before the decent. I do almost all of the races in Southen California and I think this is one of the tougher and best courses.

what category are you doing?
    keep the dust down when you pass me up
    Last edited by ptfmb71; 06-12-2008 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the info.

I'm in the sport class and in the twenties age range. So I'll be doing two laps. I've raced almost every socal race this year. How does it compare to Santa Ynez or Idyllwild challenge, which was a tough course I thought.

I have heard that this is a pretty good course. Why would you say its one of the tougher courses, the climbs? do they have lots of hikeabikes?

I'm looking forward to this series.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Exclorlator
    Thanks for the info.

I'm in the sport class and in the twenties age range. So I'll be doing two laps. I've raced almost every socal race this year. How does it compare to Santa Ynez or Idyllwild challenge, which was a tough course I thought.

I have heard that this is a pretty good course. Why would you say its one of the tougher courses, the climbs? do they have lots of hikeabikes?

I'm looking forward to this series.
    not as tough as Idyllwild but tougher than Santa Ynez. For me it falls second to Idyllwild (in toughness)...but it's all ridable. I guess it depends on the rider and what you are better at. The elevation makes climbing tougher and it's not a steady fireroad climb where you can just zone out.
    I think you will be hooked once you do it...it really is one of the best races here in SoCal. For me Santa Ynez was just long, but not that technical...Big Bear was too much fireroad. 12hr of Temecula course is pretty fun but after 12hrs of riding you know every rock and turn and there is no trees, and Tinker Juarez passes you up making you feel like you are on a Tricycle. Southridge is similar but no elevation...I guess elevetion is the kicker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What type of bike is best for this course/series; 26" full susp. or 29" hard tail?? I'm a newbie to SoCal and this series and looking to buy a bike to race this series. Any help would be appreciated. I'll be racing in 34-39 Sport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by twizzler
    What type of bike is best for this course/series; 26" full susp. or 29" hard tail?? I'm a newbie to SoCal and this series and looking to buy a bike to race this series. Any help would be appreciated. I'll be racing in 34-39 Sport.
    wow that's a tough call....this may be a stupid answer, but I guess I would suggest the bike you are faster with on singletrack. I see most guys with FS, but some with hardtails and more and more 29-ers. I have a 69er hardtail singlespeed that I may consider racing (if I feel strong enough)

I would go with the 26 FS...only in that it's a sprint out of the start and you have to get position to the singletrack climb. There is some fireroad at the top middle part of the trail, but it's not much and it leads into a singletrack decent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well, rim nordic is a pretty fun race. The second climb is neverending but how else would you get to the top. I will probably race the whole series. I'm suprised more people dont come out to it. You do feel the elevation, but it isnt anything to worry about. Besides, where else are you going to race in July?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This race is one of the best kept racing secrets. The race promoters are great. It's a hard race with loads of singletrack, a bumpy downhill and some lung busting climbs. Mostly its just fun, fun, fun. Too bad I now live 800 miles away. I just have to settle for Oregon singletrack.

mtbr member
    Are the climbs long and steep? I'll be racing expert SS for the 1st time up there and don't know what to expect?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by n8rhino
    Are the climbs long and steep? I'll be racing expert SS for the 1st time up there and don't know what to expect?
    just wondering how you did and what gear you used. I'm thinking of racing it SS and wanted to see what gears people are using.

mtbr member
    Actually, I'm going up on the 27th and was trying to find out what to expect for myself? So maybe someone will give some info?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ill be up for my first time as well riding a devinci ollie with triple 8's not sure what class to ride probably the 19-29 class and see from there, hate climbing!