mtbr member

The right set of TIRES for Socal?

I already posted this on the tires and wheels forum...but someone told me this had to be here in the socal forum.

Hello!
    I have an Intense Tracer VP waiting in the shop to be built.
    I have everything in the shop, except for disc brakes, and tires!
    I have the disc brakes covered....but the tires! I don't wanna be lazy and not do reasearch first.

Terrain I ride on: Typical dry So Cal conditions...San Diego, Baja, etc. Loose over hardpack, and your ocasional rainy days.

How do I ride: Mostly trail, lots of rocks. I ride aggressiveley. I jump whenever I have the chance to do so. I do drops too! I love to take the most techy line I can find.

What bike/wheels I ride: Like I say...Intense Tracer Vp1, with Stans Ztr Flows laced to Hope Pro 2 hubs.

What I'm looking for in a tire: Probably what everybody is looking for in a tire...Good cornering grip and durability. Also what I would like is a decent weight and fast roll!

Tires I have my eye on: I've used kendas a lot! My dad has support from kenda so it's easier to get them, and cheaper.

NOTE: I plan on converting every tire to tubeless, using stans sealent. I prefer NOT to use UST tires.

So the Kendas I've looked at are:
    -Kenda Nevegal (slow rolling, but I like em' in the front) in 2.3
    -Kenda Excavator (Read a lot of great things about them, faster rolling than the nevegals) in 2.1
    -Kenda Slant Six (I donīt know if they are available for know, but they will probably be a fast and light tire for the rear) in 2.1

Schwalbe:

Now these tires seem to be very popular these days, I'm kinda interested in riding these
    -Nobby Nic -------> Any recommendations? I would probably use 2.25 rear, and 2.4 in the front. Is the snakeskin sidewall good? I read that the snakeskins offers a tougher sidewall.
    -Fat Albert: Although heavier...the larger volume and front specific tire would be a nice choice, for...the front..hehe in 2.25 probably.

Any other recommendations?

Maxxis:

The only tire I'm interested on is the Minion and the Highroller.
    The highroller would be probably used in the front, and the minion in the rear?
    Any advice is welcome!

So help me! It's the only thing left to order from my LBS!
    I wanna Ride!!!!

Thanks!

-Jorge
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oh God, not again.
    Tires, for here or for anywheres else, are like the Holy Grail. The search is never quite over. Or, if you prefer a bit more profane style of expression, Tire opinions are like a**holes. Everybody's got one.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Use knobbys on the dirt, smooth on the road.

The more knobs, the better the traction. Less knobs seems to make for better roll.

Discuss ad nauseum............

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Check out the Maxxis Advantage as another option for a rear tire. Got a 2.1 in the rear and a Nevegal 2.35 up front. I'm liking this setup. Great traction, not the fastest rolling (I think it's mostly the Nevegal). I'm using the UST version of both.

I had a Maxxis Ignitor up front, which was definitely faster, but I felt like it lacked traction when cornering at speed. Nevegal doesn't have this problem (as you probably already know).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Lots of tire threads out there. Here is one:

Trying to find the best tires for So Cal conditions.
    Last edited by drdoak; 09-13-2010 at 01:07 PM.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    There's a lot of options out there. If you want a lightweight Kenda setup try a 2.35 Blue Groove Front and 2.1 Nevegal DTC rear. A burlier setup for blasting the rocks on Noble try a 2.4 Rubber Queen/Trail King front and 2.35 Highroller LUST rear (on my Spot now). Something in between might be a 2.35 El Moco front and 2.35 Minion DHR rear. I despise just about everything from Specialized but heard some good things about the 2.3 Clutch and Chunder Control as a front tire. 2.4 Ardents are good front and back as an AM setup too.

BTW - I don't think the Schwalbe tires like mounting tubeless on Flows.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoak
    Lots of tire threads out there. Here is one:

Trying to find the best tires for So Cal conditions.
    Hey man thanks for the link!

I will try and do some more research on what to buy!

Schwalbe's don't like the ghetto tubeless setup? Why? Specifically on flows?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    kinda depends . . . the stick-E type tires are fantastic for the lower trails with rocks, bedrock, loose over hardpack, etc. but if you ride at higher elevations where you get more dirt/soil like Idyllwild area, Chilao, etc. the stick-E type tires will bog you down immensely.

mtbr member
    In the past year and 1/2 I've used the following in Central coast - San Luis obispo. Rocky and loose trails, some sand.

2.4 Mountain King UST - good traction but expensive especially for how fast they wore out. At 1/2 tread, terrible rear traction under braking.

2.35 Nevegal UST - Heavy and slow rolling, didn't seem to like sandy conditions much and tire casing blistered from using Stans sealant.

Now running Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST and so far so good. Really liking the traction and rolling resitance compared to the Nevegal.

mogul
    May 2010
    2.35 maxxis minion 42a on the front 60a on the rear. you will never lose traction or pinch flat. they are a bit heavier, but whats a couple grams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toosense
    2.35 maxxis minion 42a on the front 60a on the rear. you will never lose traction or pinch flat. they are a bit heavier, but whats a couple grams.
    What model? Theres a rear specific and front...I know it sounds like a dumb question...and it probably is...
    But what model do you use? UST or not?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    DHF on both front and rear

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've been following this thread and read through some of the others thinking I needed to change tires as well.

My bike came with WTB Prowler MX 2.1's and I was convinced it was a lousy tire cause it easily washes out to the point that I now anticipate the front going with moderate lean angle in the sandy stuff, and then it'll catch which then causes the rear to snap out. It's my first MTB so I don't have anything to compare it to. But I just saw the reviews for this tire and it sounds like it's not half bad(?). I'm running it at 35 psi... is this too low? What psi are you guys normally running with the Nevegal or Maxxis?

I met up with someone on the trail (Chino Hills), and he was running Nevegal front & rear, and he loved them. He ran them at 60 psi.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    I run my tires in the 35-40 psi range. If I have a longer ride, I'll start out at 45 psi for a better roll, and reduce some for the high impact areas.

The best and simplest thing I've learned about tires is FAT (2.25+)in front, 2.0 or 2.1 in rear is fine. I think I may go back to the High Rollers by Maxxis. Worked well before.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    I've tried a bunch of these tires and keep coming back to Maxxis as a clear favorite.
    In fact, most of my tire explorations were in an effort to find something cheaper and as good as Maxxis.

The Nevegal is kind of a meh tire, it's lazy in corners, rolls fine I guess and has ok grip... But, the transition knobs are too fat, and fill too much space between the center and side knobs, making the Nevegal a slow leaning tire that doesn't drift and catch predictably. It's a fine beginner tire but doesn't reward you if you like to ride aggressively, which you mentioned you do.

I recently got a couple of Excavators really cheap, and threw one on the rear. That tire has insane grip, almost too much, it takes a lot of effort to break it loose. As a result of so many aggressive knobs it doesn't roll that fast, but offers a blank canvas for doing custom cuts for various conditions.

I've really liked the Maxxis Advantage in the rear, great sidewall, excellent braking and heaps of grip.
    For me the money combo has been Maxxis minion DHF front and High Roller rear. Though recently i switched to DHF Minion on both ends, and i am loving the feel. The DHF Minion likes to be ridden hard, it leans fast and bites hard with the side knobs, drifting very predictably in-between, but it's not as good of a braking tire as the High Roller or the Advantage.

Tire choice is usually very personal, and depends highly on how you ride your bike, so it's hard to recommend anything as the "holy grail" combo. I like changing tires around its a pretty fun and educational process. I suggest you pick up a few tires and experiment, you might discover something you haven't found yet.

Sober for now...
    Last edited by bjammin; 09-16-2010 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    I've tried a bunch of these tires and keep coming back to Maxxis as a clear favorite...

Though recently i switched to DHF Minion on both ends, and i am loving the feel. The DHF Minion likes to be ridden hard, it leans fast and bites hard with the side knobs, drifting very predictably in-between,
    enough said.

btw, 2.5 in the front 2.35 in the rear minion dhf

mtbr member
    Loose over hard a semi spike soft compound to stick to the hard underneath... I run Muddy marys in guey gluey and love em, occasionally Ill run a Big betty rear but mainly muddy marys front rear... Dont let the name fool you they are an intermediate tire the dirty dan is the mud spike and works well... Gwin uses it alot as with Muddy marys and Kovariks been running Muddy marys as well... 2 years on them now and a GREAT tire, ridden ALOT of the otehr stuff and pretty well set, the rest requires skill the tires will only do so much!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No such thing, it is more like the right tire for your riding style and preference. I have never ran the same tire combo as my riding buddies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Loose over hard a semi spike soft compound to stick to the hard underneath... I run Muddy marys in guey gluey and love em, occasionally Ill run a Big betty rear but mainly muddy marys front rear... Dont let the name fool you they are an intermediate tire the dirty dan is the mud spike and works well... Gwin uses it alot as with Muddy marys and Kovariks been running Muddy marys as well... 2 years on them now and a GREAT tire, ridden ALOT of the otehr stuff and pretty well set, the rest requires skill the tires will only do so much!
    I don't think spiky tires would work for me!
    I wanna try probably the racing ralphs or the nobby nics...They seem like fast tires.
    As for now, I think I ordered a 2.3 Kenda Excavator for the front, and a slant six in the back.

But I also got some other tires in mind...
    Like the high rollers on the list.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trsills
    I've been following this thread and read through some of the others thinking I needed to change tires as well.

My bike came with WTB Prowler MX 2.1's and I was convinced it was a lousy tire cause it easily washes out to the point that I now anticipate the front going with moderate lean angle in the sandy stuff, and then it'll catch which then causes the rear to snap out. It's my first MTB so I don't have anything to compare it to. But I just saw the reviews for this tire and it sounds like it's not half bad(?). I'm running it at 35 psi... is this too low? What psi are you guys normally running with the Nevegal or Maxxis?

I met up with someone on the trail (Chino Hills), and he was running Nevegal front & rear, and he loved them. He ran them at 60 psi.
    35 PSI is definitely not too low. 60 psi in a mtb tires is plain stupid.

More PSI (up to a point) = lower rolling rolling resistance and more resistance to pinch flats (if you are running tubes) or denting the rims if you aren't. Less PSI (up to a point)= more traction. 35 PSI is a little on the high side for air pressure but the generally accepted range is 20-40 psi depending on the volume of the tire and whether or not you are running tubes.

I run +/- 25 PSI in the front (a 2.24 WTB motoraptor) and more like 28 psi in the back (a 2.1 WTB motoraptor). I'm sure there are better tires out there for the SoCal conditions, but I know these tires well and am used to them.

I'd suggest airing down your front tire by 5 psi. I think you'll notice a significant increase in traction. Beyond that, considering sizing up the front as well (even a 2.2 or 2.25 makes a significant difference) as that will allow your to run even lower pressures without risk of pinch flats. Going tubeless also allows for lower pressures that I've found really help with traction.

Just mess around tire pressures and don't be afraid to run what feels good to you no matter what everyone else is doing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Let us know how the excavators are, I'm debating on that tire as well.

Also check out the new specialized butcher tire, looks legit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    kenda's poor man tire. get maxxis for dh minion 2.5 or 2.7 frnt f. and r great tires thnx mr bailey. if u want lightermaybe larsen 2.35 in rear with highroller 2.5 in frnt. also fast or run 2.5 min frnt with 2.35-2.5 hghrlr rear. schwalbies suc out in the sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nostrangertodanger
    kenda's poor man tire. get maxxis for dh minion 2.5 or 2.7 frnt f. and r great tires thnx mr bailey. if u want lightermaybe larsen 2.35 in rear with highroller 2.5 in frnt. also fast or run 2.5 min frnt with 2.35-2.5 hghrlr rear. schwalbies suc out in the sand.
    I've NEVER had problems with Kendas....IMO the signature series of tires are top notch!
    Although everybody seems to go with the maxxis....I've used maxxis on my downhill bike...I like the highroller for Socal conditions...Never tried the minions. I've used the larsen...and I didn't like it...it didn't have a lot of traction. That's why I wanna try the slant six from kenda...if they have it....

this is a good thread...Keep listing your preferences!
    This will help a lot of riders when choosing the right tires!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    sorry just seen lots of pinches with the nevegals. could be the riders runnin low psi thoe... and I search for the harde 60a for better life and a little faster roll.