Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Riding in Yucca Valley Area?

I visit Yucca Valley frequently and still have not found anything exciting to ride out there. I realize that it's generally very sandy and or rocky.

Other than dropping down to the Low Desert (Palm Springs) area to ride, does anyone know of any nice riding trails up in the high desert that are not too sandy or rocky technical?

PM me with any secret trails please...

'hawg
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The best trails are located in Joshua Tree NP. Unfortunately, it is currently off limits to bikes. At the moment biking is limited to paved roads and 4W dirt roads. The good news is that the park’s Backcountry and Wilderness Management Plan has designated approximately 29 miles of these trails for non-motorized bike use. The bad news is that they need congressional approval before opening it up to bikes. Not sure when that's gonna be.....

mtbr member
    Your superhuman to want to ride out there with the heat..

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara
    The best trails are located in Joshua Tree NP. Unfortunately, it is currently off limits to bikes. At the moment biking is limited to paved roads and 4W dirt roads. The good news is that the park’s Backcountry and Wilderness Management Plan has designated approximately 29 miles of these trails for non-motorized bike use. The bad news is that they need congressional approval before opening it up to bikes. Not sure when that's gonna be.....
    It will never happen. They have been saying this for over ten years. Are ANY National Parks (in Cali) Nopen to offroad mtn biking??? But thanks for your reply!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmffitz
    Your superhuman to want to ride out there with the heat..
    Yucca valley is in the high desert. The day temps there are almost identical to the day temps in the SF Valley, where I live. It doesn't break 100 degrees up there at 3500 feet too often. 90's is where it's at now, the norm for this time of the year. It will be HUMID, though! YUCK!

Anyway, I wouldn't ride in the heat of the day. It'll be an early or late venture for me. Already pledged to several night rides on the dirt roads to hunt for Mojave Greens!

Just hoping to find something fun up there to hit in the light of day.

Thanks,
    'hawg
    p/s I will report my snake captures on this thread when I get home, heee heee...

official eMpTyBRain

Mean Joe Green!

I didn't concentrate on riding after all. Just did my daily cardio 13 mile dirt road loop. But one evening I did find this dude crawling out of a hole from under our cabin! It's a 2 foot Mojave "Green" Rattler...
    Last edited by Hawg; 07-31-2012 at 05:56 PM.

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    My apologies for digging up an old thread via search... But I will be in the Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree area this weekend to visit family and would definitely appreciate any local hookup for good trails in the area. Will gladly reciprocate for anyone travelling to AZ. TIA.
    Regards,
    -Brian
    - Brian

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by azoutside View Post
    My apologies for digging up an old thread via search... But I will be in the Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree area this weekend to visit family and would definitely appreciate any local hookup for good trails in the area. Will gladly reciprocate for anyone travelling to AZ. TIA.
    Regards,
    -Brian
    Sorry to say that there isn't much of a reason to bring your bike to the YV/JT area as far as trail riding is concerned. "Call_me_Tom" has a trail he rides out there. You may want to PM him about it.

If you have a means of driving around then head down to Palm Springs/Cathedral City area. That area has some really good trail riding. Search on Geoladders for some trails down that way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's not Yucca Valley but Victorville is near by and they do have some mountain biking trails. Check out this site:

https://sites.google.com/site/highdesertmtb/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    It's not Yucca Valley but Victorville is near by and they do have some mountain biking trails. Check out this site:

https://sites.google.com/site/highdesertmtb/
    Yucca Valley is 69 miles away from Victorville......but I guess in Cali "near by" is relative.....

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Hey thanks for all the responses. I'm guessing there's not much in 29 either. Guess I'll leave the bike at home... Cheers!
    - Brian

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The high desert around Yucca Valley can be challenging for single track however there are some single track trails that are legal to ride near the national park in Joshua tree. If you head up park blvd.1 or 2 miles there is a place on the left called section 6 that the local bike shop has been building and is a fun place to ride. Call the bike shop in J.T. to get details. If you don't mind fire roads Ureaka peak from machris park in Yucca Valley is a nice ride and is the tallest peak with outstanding views of the high and low desert from the top. You start off on motor cycle and jeep roads that lead to the road to the peak and if you like a little extra climb you can hit the tower road on the way up or down and round trip is about 20 mi. Then if your really up for a longer ride the back way to Big Bear is a great ride at about 40 to 46 mi. depending on the route you take with 4000 vertical ft. of climbing. Take forest road 2NO2 from pioneer town to Big Bear and you will go from high desert to pine trees all the way to the lake. Hope this helps and never go anywhere without your bike.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr man View Post
    The high desert around Yucca Valley can be challenging for single track however there are some single track trails that are legal to ride near the national park in Joshua tree. If you head up park blvd.1 or 2 miles there is a place on the left called section 6 that the local bike shop has been building and is a fun place to ride. Call the bike shop in J.T. to get details. If you don't mind fire roads Ureaka peak from machris park in Yucca Valley is a nice ride and is the tallest peak with outstanding views of the high and low desert from the top. You start off on motor cycle and jeep roads that lead to the road to the peak and if you like a little extra climb you can hit the tower road on the way up or down and round trip is about 20 mi. Then if your really up for a longer ride the back way to Big Bear is a great ride at about 40 to 46 mi. depending on the route you take with 4000 vertical ft. of climbing. Take forest road 2NO2 from pioneer town to Big Bear and you will go from high desert to pine trees all the way to the lake. Hope this helps and never go anywhere without your bike.
    Thanks for the 2N02 info! Gotta check that out. I see that it branches off at Pipes Cyn. Then Burns Cyn Rd (2N02) seems to go a little ways and run into what looks like a series of residential blocks? How far up until you hit a change of geography?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The first mile is real sandy so that part is best after a rain or just push through but then you get into pines quickly then back to mix of high desert chaparral then back to pines as that is about where the real climb begins at the bottom of the rose mines. You pass a few houses and ranches in the first six or seven miles then after that all wilderness. there are some 4x4 roads to explore on the way or you can take the 2NO1 turn off and go through juniper springs on the way to hwy 38 or just stay on 2NO2 all the way to baldwin lake on the east side of Big Bear where it is about 2 miles of road riding into Big Bear where we usually get lunch before heading back.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Thanks for the tips! I have a rental in J. Tree, and have always been resigned to leaving the bike behind. I didn't even know they had a bike shop!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Thanks for the tips! I have a rental in J. Tree, and have always been resigned to leaving the bike behind. I didn't even know they had a bike shop!
    Heck, let's meet out there sometime when the weather isn't extreme and do some back country dirt road riding. Call_Me_Tom would be in for that too, I'd expect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well since I live in the area and have ridden these roads too many times to count. Let me know and I would be happy meet and show you where to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ran across this recently. Perhaps there are some new trails to explore:

Wildernet.com - California - Mountain Biking Guide - General Information

Just sharing...

mtbr member

Wonder if there is any riding in Borrego Springs!

Quote Originally Posted by azoutside View Post
    Hey thanks for all the responses. I'm guessing there's not much in 29 either. Guess I'll leave the bike at home... Cheers!
    I've seen a couple trails described on the internet, but can't be sure about the beta. Oh, and everybody be careful about this azoutside character. He's a wheelsucker, for sure.
    - Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    There is quit a few places to ride in that area. According to this website (Cycling in the Park ) they claim over 500 mi. 4x4 roads and bike trails.

mtbr member
    man - just the beta i needed. you are indeed the man.

official eMpTyBRain
    Stopped in a Joshua Tree Bicycle Shop this weekend. Got a map of the ST up near the park entrance for future reference.

I found out some interesting news. Apparently, the opening of over 40 miles of trails inside the park is getting close to becoming a reality. The guy in there (Tima, I think his name is?) told me that scout riders were allowed to ride the trails inside the park to determine which trails would be bike rider friendly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I hope the back country trail is on that list!!! Wish I knew they were doing that as I would like to have been in on that. I knew they took public input about a year ago but haven't heard anything since.

official eMpTyBRain
    Is that the long one that spans across the park?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It starts near ureaka peak and goes south along the ridges that overlook the low desert. I have ridden to the trail head and it looks to be real nice single track.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast