Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

riding the tunnels

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  rodster 
#1 ·
Hi everybody. I've just recently by chance came across some youtube videos and such about the Tunnels in the San Diego area and they look like some awesome trails. I came here to do some searches and found this one thread that appears to be speaking about them but it's a really long thread that goes back a few years.

Would somebody be able to give me the crib notes version and tell me if we can ride it and if so, where exactly I can find it? :D

Thanks for your help.

#3 · (Edited)
They were awesome!

The collection of trails known as Tunnels have been closed for several years as a master plan for trail usage was being decided upon. The original closure was due to some horse owners cutting canopy off the tunnels cuz they couldn't ride them with their stupid beasts under them. Although the trails were closed that does not mean they were unridden but you can get ticketed and possibly bike confiscated, though enforcement is spotty. The trail plan just came out a couple of weeks ago and only 2 out of 5 tunnels(1 & 4) were included plus the switchback trail, I don't know if they offically opened those yet but I don't think so, don't show open in link below.

http://www.penasquitos.org/ranger.htm

There are several maps in that long thread that show you exactly where they are, it should only take a few minutes to peruse and find.

#6 ·
Agreed; I certainly wouldn't waste any gas driving there. Back in the day those trails were an occasional diversion, but now? yawn...

BTW the enforcement is getting much less "spotty" according to recent reports; do you really want to risk your bike being confiscated?

#8 ·
socal_jack said:
The trail plan just came out a couple of weeks ago and only 2 out of 5 tunnels(1 & 4) were included plus the switchback trail,
Ok, whoever named these needs to attend a creative writing course.

literally, the only trail I know of is/was Rocking Horse.

can somebody please explain where T1-5 are relative to Rocking Horse?

specifically the gentle one that I would normally climb back to the Eucalyptus trees, rocking horse, and the one I guess north of rocking horse that you entered after following the fenceline and then crossing through the hole in the fence that ultimately intersected/connected to rocking horse?

I know of two other ways down into the lower canyon further north too. are those also numbered trails or do they go by other names? one parallels the area directly behind the Intuit building and the other is to the south on the other side of the small canyon.

I'm so confused by the numbers though and I can never tell where anybody is talking about when they use them.

Thanks

YR

#14 ·
Too bad 5 didn't make it into the trail plan, the longest and most fun, personal fav. There was an outside loop past 2 that joined up in a short tunnel run, had some pretty steep down stuff don't know if that ever had a name.

#15 ·
sandmangts said:
Oh yeah, Last weekend the ranger was parked under the euycaliptus waiting.
so, unless you actgually rode from the top of T2 or T3 towards the trees, you could go around him? you could theorectically have creasted the tunnels, gone east through the fence, gotten on the fireroad, and turned back towards the trees on the fireroad?

#16 ·
Yeti_Rider said:
so, unless you actgually rode from the top of T2 or T3 towards the trees, you could go around him? you could theorectically have creasted the tunnels, gone east through the fence, gotten on the fireroad, and turned back towards the trees on the fireroad?
Yeah, we just went around. When I was approaching it was from the east side of the fence so I could see him for a good distance. We just turned north and went around. There are no signs anywhere indicating closures.

#18 ·
sandmangts said:
Yeah, we just went around. When I was approaching it was from the east side of the fence so I could see him for a good distance. We just turned north and went around. There are no signs anywhere indicating closures.
There's debris from the signs strewn here and there but yeah no surviving signs, except at the bottom of 5 in the up direction but that one actually looks more like a trail marker sign.

#20 ·
Yeti_Rider said:
Ok, whoever named these needs to attend a creative writing course.

literally, the only trail I know of is/was Rocking Horse.

can somebody please explain where T1-5 are relative to Rocking Horse?

YR
Hopefully this will make sense. Starting from the east (more or less) the trails are numbered 1-5

The first tunnel is essentially the trail that follows the river bottom in the canyon popping out on a fire road that climbs up to the mesa on the east side of the DFG land

Tunnel 2 starts on the DFG land. I have heard it called "hole in the fence" or "hole in the wall" for obvious reasons. It intersects with

Tunnel 3 "Rocking Horse"

Tunnel 4 is the one you most likely use to climb back up to the eucalyptus grove.

Tunnel 5 is not connected to any of the previous four. It is on the west side of the SDGE fire road.

*Disclaimer* This is for reference only and not an endorsement to ride. These trails are all currently closed. There is a master plan out there. I believe 1 and 4 made the cut.

#21 · (Edited)
Prexus2005 said:
FYI, a co-worker told me he received a ticket for $250 just last week riding in the tunnels. I didn't ask for details since I don't plan on going in there now... oh yeah, his bike wasn't confiscated.

Phil.
Sheit $250 bones that could have been a down payment on a new bike part. Not worth taking the chance for such a lame set of trails.

#22 ·
The eucalyptus trees are on city land. Yes you can be ticketed by city staff in that area.

The fenced parcel immediately east of the eucalyptus trees is a CDFG vernal pool preserve. The fence line has multiple signs prohibiting entrance. It's my understanding that the ticketing is being done by or for CDFG.

The zone at the top of T-5 (and the smaller fenced parcel nearby) are USF&W. You can be ticketed there too.

The only open route is the heinous SDGE service road. Venture from that and you ride at your own risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.