Are we there yet?

Riding suggestions for a NorCal group

I'm taking my adventure group down to the Santa Barbara area for some surf lessons, camping at the Channel Islands and mtbing. We are a group of intermediate/advanced riders. More XC than DH meaning we don't mind climbing but prefer swoopy singletrack to fireroads. We only have one day to ride and it'll be mid-July. TIA!
    The only competition is between ourselves and the person we are capable of becoming - C Aiken (my pilates instructor)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Santa Barbara for summer surfing? dude. NOT GOOD.

i am sorry to bust yer nuts on this one, but SB doesn't get chit for south swells, which is the predominant swell direction in the summer. the channel islands hein that pretty good.. oooooooooooohhh.. . unless you are surfing on the backside of the islands! then it's pumping, but not for beginners.

oh yeah, riding... hmmm.. yeah. think HOTTER THAN HELL in the mtns behind SB.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

Team Chilidog!
    I asked about the Tunnel trail, but I got a couple of responses on suggestions riding in the area I'd love to try:
    Tunnell Trail in SB
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    If you're going to be in the SB area, I'd recommend getting up early (it gets quite warm in July) in the morning and do Little Pine/Santa Cruz. 12 mile moderate fire road climb, 7 (s)mile singletrack descent. After the ride go cool off at Cold Springs Tavern with a cold one.