Chairlift Connoisseur

Riding at Snow Summit.....

Hi everyone,

The wife, a friend, and I were thinking about heading up to Snow Summit for some riding. Now we all know that there is no more DH there, so we were thinking of going for a little trail riding.

It has been some time since I have been there....but what I remember is that there was a fireroad kinda thing (2N10 perhaps) that was fun, but we were looking for some singletrack that is mostly headed downhill. I looked at the map on their site, but I can never really tell anything from those maps....

Can anyone suggest some of the trails there? It looks as though upper and lower falline might be fun, as would IEOI and the "cabin 89" trail. but to be honest, I really can't tell from the map. As mentioned earlier though, I would like the trails to be "mostly" downhill...and we don't mind if they are rough, rutted, etc.....

Thanks for any and all advice!

jeb4

mtbr member

Best Snow Summit Rides

If you are thinking of going to Snow Summit, you will find the best rides are outside the park. If you take the Highway 38 up, you should check ot the Santa Ana River Trail (SART) that starts in Angelus Oaks. It has a fair amount of exposure at times, but if you are a medium skilled rider, it offers some of the best riding in SoCal.

There are options on the far side of the lake which you can get some info on at the Visitor Center on the other side of the lake closer to Fawnskin.

If you must pay to ride the lifts, a good route is 2N10 to 2N08 (stop by the Grand View Point) to Towne Trail. Fallline is pretty rough and dusty. If you stay on 2N10 to the Champion Lodgepole Pine (as far west as their map shows) you will end up having a long ride back to the start along Highway 18, which is boring, if not downright hazardous.

Enjoy the rides, visit the local restaurants, and tell them you look forward to seeing the runs within the ski resort operating again so you can bring all your friends back.

mtbr member

Big Bear Chamber of Commerce

On the other hand, don't hint around - go right to the Big Bear Chamber of Commerce and tell them all about where you go what you do and how much money you spend. I emailed them a couple weeks ago, even got a reply.

http://www.bigbearchamber.com/

Chairlift Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Namlak
    On the other hand, don't hint around - go right to the Big Bear Chamber of Commerce and tell them all about where you go what you do and how much money you spend. I emailed them a couple weeks ago, even got a reply.

http://www.bigbearchamber.com/

Perhaps I don't understand your post....but I'm not hinting around anything

If you are referring to DH returning to SS - I think that would be great, but for now I was just looking for some trails to ride without having to do tons of climbing.

Thanks all for your comments.

jeb4

mtbr member
    Sorry, I didn't mean you exactly, I was referring to Devine Intervention's point of telling the local restaurants and merchants about spending money in their town (which is a good idea) but the Chamber of Commerce will be able to apply pressure in more of the "backroom" ways as well.

Maybe the Summer-time revenue from mountain biking is not significant enough for Snow Summit to care, but I'm sure it is for all the mom-and-pop businesses.

Plus, you can email, call, or fax the CofC from home and not have to drive to Big Bear to make your voice heard.

mtbr member
    We're going soon too, Jeb4, a mixed group also. From my recollections last summer-- 1E01 (Pine Knot) is a lot of fun tho some climbing from the top of the lift to get there. Then try 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. Fern is also fun, rough & boulder-y toward the bottom. SS's trail map (unless they've improved it) is notoriously bad & misleading. It's better to ask directions once you're on the mountain.

This year we'll spend a day on SS, the next around Fawnskin and a new trail (for us)..."Area 51". http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/trails..._bay_trail.htm

Have fun!

right behind ya
    I have hit both Snow summit trails and grouts bay in the past. GB is surprising alot of fun. Not to much climbing or tech but good stuff. Would easily go back for more. Check it out
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    I've heard there is a way to shuttle Fall Line; something like you drive up a fireroad for 10min and you're pretty much right there. Is this true? If so, how do you shuttle it?

mtbr member
    The runs down Snow Summit (like Fall Line) are very short (maybe 15 minutes). While you could shuttle it, I would recommend using the lift. It's not too expensive considering the time it would take for the shuttle driver to return the vehicle and drive back up again.

The Snow Summit runs (and the crowds) were a blast while they were operating. Some of the maps are still posted on an old web site from 2004. http://www.bigbearmountainresorts.co..._maps.php#bike
    The courses down the mountain in the resort are now closed, so don't get misled by this posting. I couldn't find anything new on the Snow Summit web site.

Regarding the comment from Namlak, its true you get a better response from the Chamber. I just try to focus on the important things of the trip 1) Ride, 2) Eat.

all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by jeb4
    Perhaps I don't understand your post....but I'm not hinting around anything

If you are referring to DH returning to SS - I think that would be great, but for now I was just looking for some trails to ride without having to do tons of climbing.

Thanks all for your comments.

jeb4

i went on opening day and rode 2 weekends ago. although the trails aren't what they once were, it was still fun. we just sessioned pirates to fall line.

dh might be coming back. the operators had mentioned that the law suit was either dropped or kicked out. keep your fingers crossed!