Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

riding in san diego!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  arashi 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'm a mountain biker from Buffalo,NY. I'm going to be in San Diego for 4 days at the end of May. I always like to try and get a ride in whenever i travel. I was wondering if there was anywhere in the area that you would recomend? i don't really want to have to drive an hour to get a ride in though. Also seeing as its not going to be possible for me to bring my beloved Rocky, do you recomend and bike shops with a good selection for rental bikes?

Thanks,
Shawn

#3 ·
I guess mostly xc. I wouldn't mind experiencing some west coast downhill! all my riding here consists of technical xc singletrack. I do like some flowy single track though. It also al denpends on what kind of bike i end up with.
I was riding at a place in texas and my friend got me this 20 yr old treck fully rigid bike.Man a 7spd bike with no suspension to help slingshot you through some of the berms. and tires with no traction. i took me a little bit to learn how that bike responded. It would have been fun on my cx bike:D !

#4 ·
Are you here during the week or weekend? Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with my buddy. He owns a shop here in SD and can hook you up with a rental.

#5 ·
For some technical XC/AM, definitely check out lake hodges. There's really a little bit of everything there. For DH, I would hit up Ted's in Poway. If you can go farther north, hit up laguna, anderson truck trail, or lake elsinore for some more sweet DH. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I'm going to be staying in Mission beach. i'm coming in 5/25 and leaving on 5/30. so i have a couple of weekdays and a couple of weekend days. I'm not sure when i'm going to be able to get free to go. I'm hoping fri or sat.
Thanks,
Shawn

#9 ·
Motorep said:
Are you here during the week or weekend? Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with my buddy. He owns a shop here in SD and can hook you up with a rental.
Hey Moto,
Any help is appritiated. will your friends shop be reasonably accessible to rent a bike from. If he has good bike rentals i could be persuaded to go a little further to get a bike. I think I'm going to do mission trails(?) so as not to get lost or killed getting there or riding there.unless i could hook up with others to ride somewhere else.does he rent full suspension bikes? I ride a rocky mountain element T.O. The bike is a little older but still rocks!! It's suited very well to the type of terrain we ride on the east coast.So the bike kinda spoils me. So the wife and her family are thinnking about doing a wine tour somewhere, and i think that will be a good time for me to get my ride in.I'm not sure when they'll do that though. if you want you can send me the info to me email at sco7350@aol.com. Thanks for the help.

Shawn:cool:

#10 ·
Mike and Doug from North of the Boarder are cool peeps and their shop is right at the trailhead for PQ. I think they have some KHS bikes for demo but not sure. You should call them to see cause I'm not sure. Cal Coast Bikes is another cool shop (ask for Alex) that I do know has a good selection of demo bikes avail. Niner, Giant, Ibis, Intense to name a few. I demo'd a Niner RIP9 there before I bought one. They are not near a trailhead though. My schedule is flexible so PM me if you want to meet up for a ride.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.