mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Riding in Palmdale/North LA County

I am heading from San Diego to Palmdale Thursday for a work related meeting. Figure I could catch some riding up North and avoid the traffic on my way back south. I am an experienced all-mountain rider. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

hu hu hu huuuu !!!

check out devils punch bowl pearblossom,ca.cool trails not too long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Punchbowl is a good suggestion. It's a "T" shaped out and back towards Devil's Chair to the east and the Burkhardt Trail to the west (turn around at the windmill). It will be hot however; I think the highest it gets is around 4,000 ft. If you go back over Angeles Forest Highway to Hwy 2 (Angeles Crest Highway) you could do Strawberry Peak which starts right at that intersection. It's higher but longer and is a loop so you can't turn around if you run out of time. Closer to Palmdale, you could do the Joshua Ranch area behind Highland High School. It's mostly jeep road/atv stuff with little bits of singletrack here and there. That would be very hot and sandy on most of the singletrack. I can't ride on Thursday or I'd show you some stuff. I'd say if you have the time, Strawberry Peak would be the best.

I just noticed you're coming from San Diego. You could go up to Wrightwood, do the Blue Ridge Trail and road, then hit I-15 to cruise home! Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Thanks for the help...Heading to Wrightwood

Thanks for the recommendations, Maddog and summerdragonfly.

The Punch Bowl Park looks like fun riding, but not this time of year. I was checking some of the trail reviews and saw the Blue Ridge Trail and Manzanita Trail. Anyone riden these lately?

I think I may head up to Wrightwood and get into the trees and upper elevation. Don't get much of that down here in SD. Bill has a good review of Blue Ridge that I will print out to keep from getting lost. Should be getting started early afternoon if anyone is going to be in the area for a ride. Looking forward to getting a taste of the San Gabriels. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I rode Blue Ridge Saturday and it was in great shape! I don't climb too quickly but I can climb a little over half this trail which can save time over looping it up the highway. There's another trail across hwy 2 from Blue Ridge if you have time. From the bottom of Blue Ridge, turn left on hwy 2 and then a quick right up Table Mountain Road. Don't go downhill towards Palmdale! Pedal up about .7 of a mile past some cabins and there's a big turnout on the right as the road turns left. Good view of Mtn High west here. Just to the left (east) there's a paved FS road. Ride down this road (gate is usually closed) about 2 miles. You'll see a clear trail heading uphill on your left; follow this trail slightly uphill. The trail comes to a turnout with some huge logs on it; the trail continues past the logs off to the northeast. About .5 mile later, the trail crosses the paved road and resumes right across the road with a short climb. Go to the top by a stump then turn around and retrace the singletrack route. When you cross the road where you first got on the trail, look across the road at the same angle and the trail plunges off the side for 2 miles of great singletrack fun back to hwy 2. This adds about 3 miles of switchbacking trail to the Blue Ridge ride. I hope you have time to ride it as well as Blue Ridge! Let me know if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

RR: Blue Ridge "Figure 8"

Left Palmdale about 2:15 and headed toward Wrightwood. Arrived at the ranger station near Mountain High West a little before 3:00. I started out toward the base of Mountain High West and up a service road to the top of their "Easy Street" run. Here I located a dirt service road that seemed headed in the right direction. Cruised up the fire service road for a mile or so until the junction with 3N06. As soon as I saw the PCT markers and the no biking signs I new I was headed in the right direction. As much as I wanted to poach some PCT goodness, I resisted the temptation. Headed up 3N06 through the Mountain High resort and arrived at the Blue Ridge Campground. A little bummed that 3N06 was mostly paved for the portion I was on, although the views were great along the ridge line. Now it was time for the Blue Ridge Trail ST and I pointed the rig downhill. What followed was a fast, flowing and tight singletrack for the next two miles under the canopy of pine trees. Don't get much of that down here in SD. Blue Ridge Trail was a blast, well worth the climb, but over way too quickly. Was back at the truck and feeling ready for more, so I pulled out Maddog's directions and headed off to find some more singletrack across Hwy 2. A short brutal climb and I was on 4N21 headed toward the trail. Almost missed the turnoff to the singletrack, but was able to find my way to the top. Then it was time to head down again! Another fast flowing singletrack with some tight switchbacks and good views of Mountain High and the Blue Ridge area. The trail dumped out on Hwy 2 and I was able to find a dirt service road back to the truck. I don't roll with electronics, but figure I got a about 10 miles in 2.5 hours. Not bad for an afternoon of "work". Called this ride the Blue Ridge "Figure 8" beacause of the two loops on each side of Hwy 2. Grabbed a burrito and horchata at the local taco shop (bummer no beer for sale) and got back to SD by 8. Maddog....thanks for the heads up on the bonus singletrack, it doubled the mileage and doubled the fun. BTW - What's the name of the singletrack you told me about? Cheers.....Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey SDmoondogg!

Glad that you found the other trail and that I could help out a fellow dogg! I have no idea what the name of that trail is. Wayne Croasdale (remember him? He may still live in the area) showed me this trail when we met up by chance at Big Pine years ago. I call it Observatory trail because the road goes to a couple of observatorys (clever huh!) up there. Just down the backside of the top of the singletrack there's an old horse corral that was used by an outfit for horseback rides for the many group camps in the area but has long since ceased operation. So I guess you could call it Corral Trail too. It's a great trail and someone has been working on it just this past year. I wish they'd clear out those two fallen trees! I almost always add it on to Blue Ridge or one of the trails down to Jackson Lake.

I admire you for showing the strength to resist the temptation to ride the PCT. It parallels the Blue Ridge Road from the campground about another 5 miles to the east out to Acorn Trail. I only hope I can show such strength the next time I ride up there! If you're back this way again, let me know and I'll ride with you!