mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Riding at night in OC ?

Where do people ride at night usually in OC? I went out to Aliso the other morning and saw a few people at around 6am with lights but I thought it was illegal. I'm looking for a legal place in OC to ride in the dark..thx

mtbr member
    May 2004

I believe the Santa Ana's are LEGAL

Quote Originally Posted by Gekkonidae
    Where do people ride at night usually in OC? I went out to Aliso the other morning and saw a few people at around 6am with lights but I thought it was illegal. I'm looking for a legal place in OC to ride in the dark..thx
    National Forest riding okay.
    So one good option is Santiago Truck Trail to the Luge, or go up further (all the way to Old Camp if you like) out, and back.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    So one good option is Santiago Truck Trail to the Luge, or go up further (all the way to Old Camp if you like) out, and back.....
    yep. you'll often see quite a few folks heading out after 6pm from Cook's Corner and up Santiago Truck Trail. Enough that you could probably even find some folks to ride up with.

taxi mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbikeski
    yep. you'll often see quite a few folks heading out after 6pm from Cook's Corner and up Santiago Truck Trail. Enough that you could probably even find some folks to ride up with.
    is this cooks where noisy motorcycle go to park?

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by eebeedah
    is this cooks where noisy motorcycle go to park?
    That would be the place

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Fullerton Loop

If you're in North OC, the Fullerton Loop is where we usually ride and there's a bunch of other groups there too.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    A group of us shuttled San Juan Trail last Thursday night. First time for me at night on this trail. It was like a whole new trail at night.

mtbr member
    yep, the state parks are illegal at night (Aliso, Laguna Wilderness, El Moro, O'Neill) I know aliso has been patrolled in the past.

As someone else said, Cleveland National forest has no restrictions. Lotso riding!!Blackstar/MDTT/Santiago Peak/Harding/STT-Old Camp-Luge/Holy Jim/Trabuco Creek/SJT/Chiquito to name the major ones.

RCC
    Bandolero
    the only place i ever ridden at night is san juan and is lots of fun,wheter u shuttle or do the climb i done both and is awesome.hope it helps...later.
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

My dogs are killin me
    If your riding alone I would say go with the Fullerton Loop since it's safely nestled in the city(sort of).

Otherwise in a group the other places would probably be more challenging riding. IMO

mtbr member
    how often do you shuttle SJT?? how far is it from Fullerton??

mtbr member
    i've only ridden fullerton since i tend to go night riding by myself... i must say that it really makes the simple loop feel like an entirely different place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    what would be a good route to take? ive only been there once durring the day and that was a long time ago, well santiago oaks is where i was, and the other three guys never been there before, we are looking for something challenging but not to much climding and love single track, what would be a good route to take and a good place to start??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mntbikenbambam
    what would be a good route to take? ive only been there once durring the day and that was a long time ago, well santiago oaks is where i was, and the other three guys never been there before, we are looking for something challenging but not to much climding and love single track, what would be a good route to take and a good place to start??
    do you know where cook's corner is? where santiago canyon and live oak meet. there are a few riders that park there to do STT and the Luge. i know Team Basso does a weekly night ride from there every thursday night. i get their emails, but i've never ridden with them yet. i've ridden STT and the Luge a few times in the late afternoon and early evening. you run into a few riders. i believe it gets the most traffic tues and thurs night. i think its about 17 miles if you go past the luge and up to Old Camp/Look out point then down the luge.

go to teambasso.com to get on their ride list.

mtbr member
    Lots of people do Luge on nightly/weekly basis, but Black star is a great night ride as well...on a clear night...views from the top are great.