the cool nerd

riding near oxnard

the on-topic part of the thread..How is the riding near Oxnard? Any trails close by? How's the road-riding?

the off topic portion..How is the town/community itself? Interesting? work there/live there or work there/commute from somehwhere else?

inquiring minds want to know...

thanks

scott

members only
    The general area is Road Riding.
    But a few miles down the coast is Pt. Magu/Sycamore Canyon:
    http://content.mtbr.com/united-state...1_4520crx.aspx
    http://www.mybikesite.com/socal/trails/sycamore.htm

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Road/ATB

Road riding is brilliant once you reach the mountains or the PCH to the South. Depending on which end of town you live on you might enjoy riding out to the Santa Monica mountains through the strawberry fields by Las Posas, climbing up Potrero (ouch) over the hills into the Valley. The Simi Ride is a classic winter group ride that uses the route from Potrero skirting the mountains all the way east to Topanga. Once you are in the valley, there are multitude of great climbs and loops up into the Santa Monicas and you can ride for hours without traffic.

ATB riding is also plentiful in that end of the SM range. Sycamore canyon is very close to Oxnard, or go further East for the Backbone trail. All of these trailheads are on the same roads that you would enjoy on your road bike.

Far from an encyclopedic reply, but this is the area that I know. I suspect there is a great deal of quality riding just to the North as well. Hope it helps.

J

(
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    the on-topic part of the thread..How is the riding near Oxnard? Any trails close by? How's the road-riding?

the off topic portion..How is the town/community itself? Interesting? work there/live there or work there/commute from somehwhere else?

thanks

scott

mtbr member

thanks

scott
    stay the h**l out of Oxnard. Overrun with Mexican gangs.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    well....not sure I would have been as blunt as Pacman but I think it depends on your situation....what are your priorities.....do you have kids.......etc. These questions, in my humble opinion, will quickly tell you if Oxnard is that place for you. For me personally, absolutely no way

Glad to Be Alive
    tough crowd check your neighborhood before you buy/rent
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

cask conditioned
    Good strawberrys.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

if you're going to live in the area

thanks

scott
    live in Camarillo or Ventura. There are pieces of Oxnard that aren't that bad (near the harbor) but much of it is kind of a pit.

Plus, Camarillo is closer to the trails to the South and Ventura is closer to the trails to the North anyway. Oxnard is kind of in the middle. it's closer to the bottom of Sycamore Canyon but in Camarillo you just go up the grade and start from the top so you don't really lose anything.

YR

agreed...Camarillo is a fantastic place to live. Much slower paced than Thousand Oaks or anywhere on the other side of the grade which is why I chose Camarillo. The culture is much more LAish once you climb the grade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    agreed...Camarillo is a fantastic place to live. Much slower paced than Thousand Oaks or anywhere on the other side of the grade which is why I chose Camarillo. The culture is much more LAish once you climb the grade.
    There is a small matter of Camarillo trying to form its own high school district to break away from Oxnard, which would leave Oxnard schools 75% minorities. If you have H.S. kids it's not so laid back, unless you go private.

There is a small matter of Camarillo trying to form its own high school district to break away from Oxnard, which would leave Oxnard schools 75% minorities. If you have H.S. kids it's not so laid back, unless you go private.
    agreed....the high school situation sucks for Camarillo. However, my oldest kid is only 9 years old so the odds are either (1) things will change for the better in terms of high school situation, (2) we will move by then, or (3) I will keep my kids in private. The high school situation is the ONLY negative I can say about Camarillo.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    live in Camarillo or Ventura. There are pieces of Oxnard that aren't that bad (near the harbor) but much of it is kind of a pit.

Plus, Camarillo is closer to the trails to the South and Ventura is closer to the trails to the North anyway. Oxnard is kind of in the middle. it's closer to the bottom of Sycamore Canyon but in Camarillo you just go up the grade and start from the top so you don't really lose anything.

YR

Hands down I would choose Ventura (15 minutes from Oxnard). Great little city w/nightlife resteraunts...very cosy place
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I'll echo the advice

I've lived in Camarillo for 3 yrs. now, was in Oxnard the 2 before that ( moved into the area from San Diego). If I had it to do over again I never would have gone to Oxnard. The atmosphere and lack of a feeling of security make it a dubious choice at best.
    There is a ton of great mtb realitivly close, and great roadriding as well ( I've been bitten by the bug this last year). If I'm still here when my kids reach HS. age and the situation has'nt changed then we'll put them in private school or leave the area.
    The big issue in Ventura county is the price of living ( probably so-cal on the whole), its outragous in my estimation. Look before you leap.
    Regards , Jim S.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkahunadad
    I've lived in Camarillo for 3 yrs. now, was in Oxnard the 2 before that ( moved into the area from San Diego). If I had it to do over again I never would have gone to Oxnard. The atmosphere and lack of a feeling of security make it a dubious choice at best.
    There is a ton of great mtb realitivly close, and great roadriding as well ( I've been bitten by the bug this last year). If I'm still here when my kids reach HS. age and the situation has'nt changed then we'll put them in private school or leave the area.
    The big issue in Ventura county is the price of living ( probably so-cal on the whole), its outragous in my estimation. Look before you leap.
    Regards , Jim S.
    Hey BigKahuna...where do you live in Camarillo? I would love to meet others to help justify going out more (ie, easier to justify going out riding if the wife knows I am going with somebody else).

Did I read your post correctly in that you now road ride as well? I just got my very first roadbike last week and went for my first ride on Saturday.

Let me know...the more people that I know locally the more I can "leverage" going out on a ride.

Cheers
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 03-31-2005 at 02:45 PM.

the cool nerd
    Thanks for all of the replies and information. At the moment, it's probably a bit premature but knowledge of an area can help influence future decisions...

scott

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

check your pm

i'll leave you contact info, I,m in the middle of town off coe st;.
    UOTE=FoShizzle]Hey BigKahuna...where do you live in Camarillo? I would love to meet others to help justify going out more (ie, easier to justify going out riding if the wife knows I am going with somebody else).

Did I read your post correctly in that you now road ride as well? I just got my very first roadbike last week and went for my first ride on Saturday.

Let me know...the more people that I know locally the more I can "leverage" going out on a ride.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The phrase "near Oxnard" is key here as you might have gleaned from others. There are lots of nice areas "near Oxnard" that are nice.

As for the commute, it depends where you commute to and from and what you are accustomed to.

As for MTB in the immediate Oxnard area, you have to drive a little ways in any direction (except west ) and you will find some of the best MTB areas in SoCal. Santa Barbara, Ojai, the whole Santa Monica mountain range including Pt.Mugu State Park are only a short drive away. Road riding opportunities abound there and anywhere near there too. Or you might choose to live near some of those areas and commute to work.

Housing prices range from "simply outrageous" to "you must be joking"

Also, for anyone visiting SoCal right now that is not familiar with the area, it is as green now as I have ever seen it. Just don't expect it to stay that way for ever.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj

Also, for anyone visiting SoCal right now that is not familiar with the area, it is as green now as I have ever seen it. Just don't expect it to stay that way for ever.
    seems to be a common sight, right now NM and AZ are far greener and wetter than the norm.

as to what I am accustomed to in regards to commuting, any commute will require adaptation. For the last 3 years, my commute has been 3 to 8 minutes, by bike or by car Oh, the good old days.....

thanks

scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey guys, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I did a search looking for riding near Port Hueneme/Oxnard and this is what I found.

Anyway, I am in Port Hueneme for 6 weeks (but will most likely head back to SD on the weekends). I was looking for a couple of good places to ride that is close enough for an after work ride. Or better yet, if someone was interested in showing me a local ride or two during the week.

What I ride: '03 NRS1 that now has the Fox F100x up front and cane creek cloud 9 in back. Not in the best shape right now, but looking to get back into good riding shape for a 5 day trip to moab at the end of may (I know...it will be HOT).

Sam

BODYSNATCHER
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Hey BigKahuna...where do you live in Camarillo? I would love to meet others to help justify going out more (ie, easier to justify going out riding if the wife knows I am going with somebody else).

Cheers
    riding near oxnard

Hey Fo- that sounds like my wife!! PM me if you'd like to talk riding with someone, I know I should, but never do, since I don't really know anyone in the area, although I have lived in the county since 1970!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks

scott

Hey Scott:
    Yeah there are rough spots, but also great places, too. Oxnard has alot of cultural diversity, and there are gangs everywhere in Socal, in my town (Simi Valley) it's just better hidden.
    Oxnard is addressing the gang problem with recent injunction designed to limit the interaction of the Colonia gang, very contreversial, but having worked Oxnard for 20+ years as an appliance service man, I find it's no more or less dangerous than say LA or the SF valley...
    Plus, as the others have said, it's really close to some great trails. Do a search for Sycamore canyon, Rocky peak, Chumash, Gridley, Topa Topa, to name a few- all within 45 minutes of Oxnard tops !!
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...