pewpewpew Moderator

Riding in LA today (ride report with pix)

Is that a patch of blue up in the sky? Aosty and I jump on the bikes as the green, red, and yellow blobs that have been lighting up the weather radar screen for the last 2 days finally disappear. Not sure where to go at first, or how long the window might last, we decide to ride to the trailhead and play it by ear. From the front door, it's about 4 miles or so through the streets of LA to the Santa Monica Mountains. Usually I hate riding in LA traffic but today it is so great just to be out and on the bike that I enjoy even riding on the street.

Here's a drainage canal, near Mandeville and Sunset. Notice that not only is it full of water, but Al is pointing at some mini surges (tsunami!) rippling down at a much faster velocity than the rest of the water. I think this is where the water from Sullivan canyon must end up.

We head over to, what else, Sullivan Ridge. We figure the fireroad won't be too messed up despite the storms, and we are right. Other than some tiny slides, and one tree across the fireroad, it looks great. You can really hear the water rushing in the canyon streams, even way high up on the top of the ridge, and there is plenty of water draining on the pavement. The sun comes out and we are actually feeling warm.

Ugh grunty climb. Steeper than it looks. No idea how Al can shoot and climb this at the same time.

A slump in the fireroad on the second steep part of the ridge.

Up up up we go to the top where it intersects with Mulholland. The sun that warmed us on the climb goes into hiding again so we take off back down the way we came.

Nice scenery on the way back down. Here you are looking up at Westridge fireroad.

We can still hear the rushing of water. Then much to our surprise, we notice something you just don't see on Westridge that often - waterfalls!

Here's a detail of the previous shot. Notice also what looks to be a good sized muck slide with a creek running down it to the left of the waterfall.

View up along Sullivan Canyon. The trees have leaves again!

So that's how we got in 25 miles of a nice ride today, even if it was just fireroad and in between the raindrops. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Just Ride!

Hey, I saw you guys before...

I was riding up one day and I passed you guys up Camp Josepho. I was riding this big black ugly rigid bike. I recognized that bikes seatstays when I was climbing up that road to the trail. Here is a pic of that day

BTW, great pics! It was awesome yesterday when the clouds cleared up.

jrm
    mtbr member

Hey..

Cool beans...Stay away from the rivers and channelized flumes.....

Mashers Only!!
    Hey Ms Impy Nice to see ya. Too bad it was in the pictures. Tell Al I said "hello". Oh yea when are we gonna all hook up for a ride?

HUGH

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire
    I was riding up one day and I passed you guys up Camp Josepho. I was riding this big black ugly rigid bike. I recognized that bikes seatstays when I was climbing up that road to the trail. Here is a pic of that day

BTW, great pics! It was awesome yesterday when the clouds cleared up.
    I remember you! You don't see that many rigid vicious cycles around!! See you on the trails.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Cool beans...Stay away from the rivers and channelized flumes.....
    No kidding! I don't seem to recall people getting swept away in the rain in NoCal but it seems to happen rather regularly here.

pewpewpew Moderator
    HI HUGH! Hope to see you soon, are you guys goign to Sea Otter this year?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Heh... we saw you coming down Sully Ridge once or twice too -- I think once we commented... "Hey was that tall dude also riding a 29?"

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Hello Hugh!

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Hey Ms Impy Nice to see ya. Too bad it was in the pictures. Tell Al I said "hello". Oh yea when are we gonna all hook up for a ride?

HUGH

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Heh... we saw you coming down Sully Ridge once or twice too -- I think once we commented... "Hey was that tall dude also riding a 29?"

I'll holler when I see you guys again. It's so funny how I recognize the bike instead of the rider. Same when I walk my dogs in the morning and see other dog walkers. I will recognize the dog first before the owner. Is that normal?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    I'll holler when I see you guys again.
    I'll be sure to do the same.... keep your ears open for "YO PIGTIRE!!!"

It's so funny how I recognize the bike instead of the rider. Same when I walk my dogs in the morning and see other dog walkers. I will recognize the dog first before the owner. Is that normal?
    Yes, it's normal.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy

Here's a drainage canal, near Mandeville and Sunset. Notice that not only is it full of water, but Al is pointing at some mini surges (tsunami!) rippling down at a much faster velocity than the rest of the water. I think this is where the water from Sullivan canyon must end up.

it's strange to see everyday sights on an international sight....

that's the school I would have attended if I hadn't taken the Catholic Schools route... Nice!